Can we do better?

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
A couple of years ago, I got so fed up with the selection of drivel being offered up by SKY in the name of "entertainment" that I gave it up.
So, now I'm left with the drivel being shown on normal tv and freeview.
Hour after hour of cheap rubbish from the states followed by "celebrity strictly soap rubbish".
No, I dont want to watch a man eating as much food as he can or a 20 st. teenager who's pregnant and didn't know it.

It came to a head last night when a new BRITISH tv series was starting with it's guest star the comedic giant that is Stephen Fry :) and host, Jo Brand . Brilliant I thought. Sadly I was wrong. Enough said.
Luckily, we still have HIGNFY, QI and TG which keeps me sane.
And the funny 3 men in a boat.........no wait.......the new series is filmed in ............America :angry:

So my fellow forumers, can we not think of something new and fresh to make a tv programme about.
How hard can it be?

NO cookery
No soaps
NO reality
NO jungles
NO America

I'm thinking Faulty clubhouse?
Homers journey?
Ranfurly Island?
Timgolfys quest?

Over to you.

chris661

Money List Winner
Visit site
I agree Bob, was watching telly with the parents etc over christmas and it was CRAP.

There is a cracking programme to be made with the goings on here :rofl: it would be a proper soap opera

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
a documentary following one aspiring pro's bid through Q school and beyond, a real look at how hard it actually is.

Also a similar fly on the wall look at the PGA qualifying process following young aspiring amateurs trying to be pro's and the more mature amateur also turning pro, dreams aspirations, exams, highs and lows, I think that one in particular would be a real winner if done properly.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
How about a mixture of "Waiting for God", "Last of the summer wine" and the seniors mid week roll up. :D

Story lines could be
Trying to catch uncle Albert cheating
The club secretary stealing club green fees
The Brigadier chasing the new barmaid.
The only gay in the club

There's more

CliveW

Tour Winner
Visit site
So my fellow forumers, can we not think of something new and fresh to make a tv programme about.
How hard can it be?

NO cookery
No soaps
NO reality
NO jungles
NO America

Over to you.

How about a programme revolving around auction rooms? Perhaps we could have two teams pitted against each other who have to buy crap and sell it on? Or how about one where they bring their own tat which a dealer offers to buy and if the offer isn't high enough they can auction it? Or even one where so called experts value your goods and then put it to auction... Might work I suppose!

coolhand

Head Pro
Visit site
How about a mixture of "Waiting for God", "Last of the summer wine" and the seniors mid week roll up. :D

Story lines could be
Trying to catch uncle Albert cheating
The club secretary stealing club green fees
The Brigadier chasing the new barmaid.
The only gay in the club

There's more

I think you're on to a winner Bob.

Other story lines:
New Assistant Pro tries to muscle in on the Old Timers Mars Bar racket
Well know Cartoon Charature has to be told by the Pro that his swing is terminal and needs to be put down.

:ears:

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
After someone else mentioned it on here about a week ago, I watched 2 entire series of Big Break on the Golf Channel's website. Miles better than trying to find something interesting among the tripe you mention on normal TV.

BB Disney is on there complete.
BB Indian Wells is complete.
BB Ireland I could only find episode 1 so I guess that's still running.

AuburnWarrior

Tour Winner
Visit site
TV is VERY poor at the moment. I remember, back in the 80s, Christmas TV was superb! There were loads of Christmas specials and the Christmas Day film was a must see. Plus, of course, you had the Only Fools and Horses Christmas special!
Now, it's all very cheap TV - either reality TV or a show with only one 'personality'.
What's the answer? I guess the programme controllers need to take more risks with up and coming comedy actors and writers. Also, they need to increase the budgets available to make the programmes. The recent US show 'Boardwalk Empire' had a MASSIVE budget and it showed. I think the only show allowed any decent money is Top Gear!
I do hope we return to the golden days of TV but I fear that the quick fix of reality shows, cookery programmes, etc will remain.:rant:

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
Did try the new David Jason (Royal Bodyguard) but switched it off after 10 mins..... disappointing and even gave up on the usually relaible big fat quiz of the year. Am actually looking forward to the Eddie Izzard adaptation of Treasure Island on New Years day, also the Chris Ecclestone version of the Borrowers. Otherwise there hasn't been any significant christmas TV worth watching, same old same old.

Bit of a shame to paint the US stuff with the same brush Bob, there are some good TV series from the other side of the pond, just not too many of them running at the moment.

daymond

Tour Rookie
Visit site
There was quite a good series a while ago based around a cricket club. How about something similar around a disfuctional golf club?
Oh and yes TV this year was/is dire.

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
There was quite a good series a while ago based around a cricket club. How about something similar around a disfuctional golf club?
Oh and yes TV this year was/is dire.

I'm sure there was at one point, its a vague recollection or maybe just all the sitcoms in the 80's had someone who was 'big' in the local snobby GC

Pants

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Outside Edge with Timothy Spall, Josie Lawrence, and Brenda Blethyn maybe??

Must have been mid-late '90s.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Funnily enough my dear old dad use to do some writing. He had the initial concept for a TV series on ITV called Second Thoughts starring James Bolam and Linda Bellingham and did write a pilot for a comedy series set in a golf club. However it never got taken up.

I actually use to like the Tim Brook Taylor and Mike Reed shows on Discovery where they'd play a few holes at different courses. The TBT one was set mainly in Berkshire and included the Downshire just down the road and Temple. A regional updated version of that would be good