Can someone wrap a 9-iron round Harriet Harman's head?

stevie_r

Tour Winner
Visit site
So would you suggest the club should stop White middle class males from joining and encourage more Rastafarian, lesbian, vegetarian, bikers against fox hunting, just to create a more multi cultured feel about the place.

What an utterly ridiculous post. Can you point out where in my post I said stop the white MIDDLE CLASS male from joining? Kindly note I said nothing about class, didn't mention religion, sexuality, eating habits or any of the other ridiculous rubbish you came out with.

I stated that clubs should consider positive action to encourage under represented groups, those being Juniors and Females; if that means allocating the course to the ladies or juniors for a week then I see little harm and only benefits.. Clearly you don't see the need for it, I would suggest that many a club secretary anxiously poring over spreadsheets can.

You are clearly getting all hot and bothered; why don't you slip your size 24s off, give yourself a good squirt of water with that flower on your lapel and set your revolving bow tie to maximum?

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
Have you considered that the female members probably feel more comfortable playing together as a group? If you look at the amount of anti female golfer comments from posters on this forum, who are probably representative proportionally to the golfing public of UK, then is it any surprise really? There are those that are anti female and don't care who knows it, there are also those who are anti female but would be aghast if you suggested they were. Invariably the same people who are anti senior and anti junior.

Think long and hard, how often do the female members of the forum get involved in the pathetic (metaphorical) willie waving and childish spats on the forum? They don't. Do you think that certain forum 'attitudes' and mind sets are carried forward to the course? I would say it is inevitable.

Golf really doesn't need many more white, male, middle aged golfers playing the game; it's probably at its maximum potential in that regard. It does need to encourage kids, for obvious reasons. Clubs also need (for survivability) to encourage under-represented groups to participate, if that means setting aside a couple of hours for the ladies (or the juniors for that matter) then I really can't see the problem.

Some will claim that this is discriminating against males, it isn't; it is positive discrimination in favour of an under represented group. It's legal and also ultimately sensible.

Good point, well made. I seldom get embroiled in these threads as it's pointless and those that are anti female golfers will always remain so. I'm a bit caught in the middle as I'm a (relatively) decent female golfer and once I "prove" that I can sense a different reaction from many guys on the course. It's wrong but it's how it is. What gets to me is that there are as many (in fact more) male golfers hacking their way round in cricket scores trying to belt the ball miles and usually with a massive slice or top as there are females playing steadily down the middle albeit not hitting it a mile. The scorn is poured on the female golfer though and not the male hacker...just don't get it myself.

I chuckle as I see guys rushing to the first tee to beat me out on the course (rather than be held up!) and then having to let me through as they go on another search for a ball in the clag...

One of the best things about my new course/club is how inclusive it is of female and junior golfers.

Sweep

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
What an utterly ridiculous post. Can you point out where in my post I said stop the white MIDDLE CLASS male from joining? Kindly note I said nothing about class, didn't mention religion, sexuality, eating habits or any of the other ridiculous rubbish you came out with.

I stated that clubs should consider positive action to encourage under represented groups, those being Juniors and Females; if that means allocating the course to the ladies or juniors for a week then I see little harm and only benefits..
Err, you did mention colour and allocating the course to the ladies or juniors for a week would be illegal. You have to give equal access to the course for all members.

Sweep

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Good point, well made. I seldom get embroiled in these threads as it's pointless and those that are anti female golfers will always remain so. I'm a bit caught in the middle as I'm a (relatively) decent female golfer and once I "prove" that I can sense a different reaction from many guys on the course. It's wrong but it's how it is. What gets to me is that there are as many (in fact more) male golfers hacking their way round in cricket scores trying to belt the ball miles and usually with a massive slice or top as there are females playing steadily down the middle albeit not hitting it a mile. The scorn is poured on the female golfer though and not the male hacker...just don't get it myself.

I chuckle as I see guys rushing to the first tee to beat me out on the course (rather than be held up!) and then having to let me through as they go on another search for a ball in the clag...

One of the best things about my new course/club is how inclusive it is of female and junior golfers.
Please don't think that all those who are critical of Mrs. Harman's policies or the Equalities Act as far as golf clubs are concerned are anti female golfers. I play mixed golf on average once a week and many of the ladies I play with are better than me. Better or worse makes no difference to me. I fought hard to get the ladies at my place a better deal and much of my opposition to Mrs. Harman and her act was that I could do little for a vibrant and important part of my club that ended up being much worse off in the name of equality.

stevie_r

Tour Winner
Visit site
Err, you did mention colour and allocating the course to the ladies or juniors for a week would be illegal. You have to give equal access to the course for all members.

Yes I did mention colour, clearly where I said 'week' was a typo and should have read a couple of hours a week. I just understand how anyone can fail to see the benefit of the 1st tee being allocated to under represented groups for a couple of hours a week if it encourages increased membership and therefore revenue.

Sweep

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Yes I did mention colour, clearly where I said 'week' was a typo and should have read a couple of hours a week. I just understand how anyone can fail to see the benefit of the 1st tee being allocated to under represented groups for a couple of hours a week if it encourages increased membership and therefore revenue.
A couple of hours rather than a week would make a big difference. I agree, if it encourages people to play it should be done. At our place we do reserve the tee for juniors for a couple of hours one night a week. Just like any other category, they can play anytime and it's nice to see them spending the whole day playing and practicing in the summer holidays. They can play in adult comps and they have comps of their own as well. Of course there are regular ladies comps and roll ups. They can play anytime so no one is favoured more than another. But to be honest, it was always that way. It was just that the ladies paid less subs because they couldn't play on Saturday until the men's comp was over. After Equalities we couldn't do that anymore.

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I'm a bit caught in the middle as I'm a (relatively) decent female golfer and once I "prove" that I can sense a different reaction from many guys on the course. It's wrong but it's how it is. What gets to me is that there are as many (in fact more) male golfers hacking their way round in cricket scores trying to belt the ball miles and usually with a massive slice or top as there are females playing steadily down the middle albeit not hitting it a mile. The scorn is poured on the female golfer though and not the male hacker...just don't get it myself.

Surely that's the biggest problem. Why should scorn be poured on anyone for their gender or golfing ability? I play to a steady 18 handicap mainly because I work away and can't play for 6 months of the year. I accept that while I have my current job I'm not going to get much better as I'm only playing around 18 -24 rounds a year and with a young family don't get much time to practise. I play for enjoyment and yes I try to bomb it miles and have a massive slice. If that makes me worthy of scorn then maybe that's your problem not mine. I'm happy to let better/faster players and groups through while I'm enjoying myself. Just because someone hits it straight and has a lower handicap doesn't make them a better person it simply means that they have more talent or time than I currently have.

stevie_r

Tour Winner
Visit site
A couple of hours rather than a week would make a big difference. I agree, if it encourages people to play it should be done. At our place we do reserve the tee for juniors for a couple of hours one night a week. Just like any other category, they can play anytime and it's nice to see them spending the whole day playing and practicing in the summer holidays. They can play in adult comps and they have comps of their own as well. Of course there are regular ladies comps and roll ups. They can play anytime so no one is favoured more than another. But to be honest, it was always that way. It was just that the ladies paid less subs because they couldn't play on Saturday until the men's comp was over. After Equalities we couldn't do that anymore.

There are ways and means I suppose. The same way that ladies can pay lower subs - ie two separate clubs playing at the same course. It has to be a give and take thing, if the 'ladies club' want a weekly block booking in order to play together then obviously the guys have to be afforded the same concession.

We have a pretty small ladies section of around 22 or so, sadly I've never seen them! If they were to turn up for our mid-week roll ups I'm sure they would be more than welcome. God knows when they play.

We also have an hour reserved for hotel guests during the middle of competition time sheets.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Have you considered that the female members probably feel more comfortable playing together as a group? If you look at the amount of anti female golfer comments from posters on this forum, who are probably representative proportionally to the golfing public of UK, then is it any surprise really? There are those that are anti female and don't care who knows it, there are also those who are anti female but would be aghast if you suggested they were. Invariably the same people who are anti senior and anti junior.

Think long and hard, how often do the female members of the forum get involved in the pathetic (metaphorical) willie waving and childish spats on the forum? They don't. Do you think that certain forum 'attitudes' and mind sets are carried forward to the course? I would say it is inevitable.

Golf really doesn't need many more white, male, middle aged golfers playing the game; it's probably at its maximum potential in that regard. It does need to encourage kids, for obvious reasons. Clubs also need (for survivability) to encourage under-represented groups to participate, if that means setting aside a couple of hours for the ladies (or the juniors for that matter) then I really can't see the problem.

Some will claim that this is discriminating against males, it isn't; it is positive discrimination in favour of an under represented group. It's legal and also ultimately sensible.

I stated that clubs should consider positive action to encourage under represented groups, those being Juniors and Females; if that means allocating the course to the ladies or juniors for a week then I see little harm and only benefits.. Clearly you don't see the need for it, I would suggest that many a club secretary anxiously poring over spreadsheets can.

You are clearly getting all hot and bothered; why don't you slip your size 24s off, give yourself a good squirt of water with that flower on your lapel and set your revolving bow tie to maximum?

You can see above where you mentioned it, although I was wrong about the middle class it was middle aged. All the same I cant see why this group should be rubbished, they are a very large part of the community.

You dont seem to be open to a bit of humour so I wont wast my time on it with you in future. And regarding your final personal insult, I guess it's just best to ignore it and not bring myself down to that level.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

You can see above where you mentioned it, although I was wrong about the middle class it was middle aged. All the same I cant see why this group should be rubbished, they are a very large part of the community.

You dont seem to be open to a bit of humour so I wont wast my time on it with you in future. And regarding your final personal insult, I guess it's just best to ignore it and not bring myself down to that level.

^^^^^^^ Post Note for @stevie_r.

If you read my posts you would see that I am in favour of fully integrating groups like Women into the club and have not made any suggestion otherwise.

FairwayDodger

Money List Winner
Visit site
I am sorry I have discriminated here against 9-irons. All the clubs should have a chance to be used in this exercise. And as for one or two of the posts actually thinking we are suggesting hitting a woman with a metal object, you really need to get a life.

I'm not sure anyone thought you were serious, just that it was an inappropriate attempt at humour.

D

Deleted member 1740

I wonder what IPC Media and their associates would think of this if they were to read the headline on this thread?