Can Liverpool win the league?

NotQuiteTiger

Club Champion
Visit site
I am complete neutral in terms of the premier league so I dont mind who wins. But I think I am right in saying that most people thought it would be Man U and Chelsea going for the league but at the moment it is between Liverpool and Hull! Obviously there is still a long way to go and Hull will more than likely finish mid-table, but I personally hope Liverpool keep up there push for the league as it would be nice to see another team other than Chelsea and Man U winning the league.

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
Same here, ive been a pool fan since I was 4 and had the white mesh Hitachi away top. We've not played very well so far this season but a couple of gritty performances have gotten us wins instead of a draw and a loss.

johng

Head Pro
southerndowngolfclub.co.uk
Traditionally Liverpool struggle through the start of the season before starting to get their points from winter onwards.

This is their best Premiership start EVER. If they can continue with their normal winter form into next year, then yes I believe they can win the title.

Rafa has become more stable in his selections and lack of rotation which appeared to cause some problmes over recent years. They are stable at the back, solid midfield and have an excellent strike force.

Best chance for many, many years.

remember, there is only 1 team that play in red, and it isn't MU.

IM01

Challenge Tour Pro
www.goswicklinksgc.co.uk
Rafa has assembled his best squad and seems to be resisting the needless changes for changes sake.Failed pursuit of Barry was a great start to the season as Alonso is a far better player.

Wins against Man Utd and Chelsea must give them a lift so here's hoping this could be the year.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
In a word, no. It will be closer this season, but the Russians and the Mancs will battle it out yet again. Usual two to be third/fourth. Hull? above the tiny totts.

Out of interest, there is only one team in red, and they play in north london.

If we ever spent more than £4.50 on a player, we could win the league again too. Agree about Alonso though, can't believe we wouldn't go from 14.5m to 16m for him. It would have been nice to see what he could do alongside Fab.

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
they may have done Chelsea a favour. all these meaningless records (longest blah blah) are bound to be broken eventually but must add an unnecessary pressure in trying to maintain/protect them.

Herbie

Tour Winner
Visit site
I think the way Hull have played and who they have played so far, that they are capable of staying up there with the best this season. I dont believe they can win it as the experience and pedegree of others will prevent that but I have a feeling they can finish in the top 5 or 6 if they maintain their current form. I dont think there is enough points difference to judge who will win it between the big names though.

vig

Tour Winner
Visit site
I think the way Hull have played and who they have played so far, that they are capable of staying up there with the best this season. I dont believe they can win it as the experience and pedegree of others will prevent that but I have a feeling they can finish in the top 5 or 6 if they maintain their current form. I dont think there is enough points difference to judge who will win it between the big names though.

You're not a football fan then Herb?

Hull, although they have started the season with some magnificent results, will still be looking to get to the magic 40 points as quick as possible.
Anything higher than 10th will be a massive plus for them. Incidently i have nothing against them and have a lot of friends there.
Their squad is not big enough to sustain their current form for the rest of the season.

time_vans

Head Pro
Visit site
to answer the original question no it will be chelsea or man u again even after this weekend giving the scousers some hope, as regards the tigers no one especially in hull would have dreamt about being in this position after 9 games phil browns only goal for this season was and still is survival whether thats 4th from bottom, mid table or in a european spot is irrelevent. what makes me laugh is lawrenceson et all with comments like 'hull will do a derby' 'hull will still be pointless at christmas' ' hull will definately be relegated'...so called experts i cant believe they are paid for the ill informed and worthless opinions.......hull city haven't 'got lucky' in 9 premiership games they have earnt every point...what i think has blinded people over the years is money....its confusing people how a team not worth 100's of millions can compete with the prima donnas......phil brown gets 110% out of all his players i bet rafa et al wish they could then they would be untouchable.

RGuk

Tour Winner
Visit site
Liverpool CAN win the league this season. But I don't expect them to do so. I've followed their fortunes for 30 years and yes, they made a great start but their football is like my golf.....sooner or later I'll throw in a double or triple bogey and ruin a good run.
Liverpool have tended to "chase" in the period after Christmas and seemingly put more emphasis on European matches, sort of not caring about domestic games because the title is out of reach. It'll be interesting to see what teams they field come March-May if they're in with a mathematical chance.

Herbie

Tour Winner
Visit site

You're not a football fan then Herb?

Hull, although they have started the season with some magnificent results, will still be looking to get to the magic 40 points as quick as possible.
Anything higher than 10th will be a massive plus for them. Incidently i have nothing against them and have a lot of friends there.
Their squad is not big enough to sustain their current form for the rest of the season.

Aha but I did say optomistically that IF they maintain their current form. And I did say that the experience will prevent them winning. Not a football fan is incorrect, Im just not a fan of a particular club. If I were a betting man I could have been rich on previous predictions over the years, Im more often accurate than I am inaccurate in my football judgement and that makes me more of a footy fan than most, who follow the same top teams where judgement is rarely required. :D ;)

vig

Tour Winner
Visit site
Some people will argue that as I follow/support Barnsley, i'm not a football fan :eek:.
I predict that Hull will finish 13th, any better and I WILL buy you a pint. :D.
I do hope they do better but fear that when the season gets to the sharp end they will be left wanting.
My Top six:-
Chelsea
Man U
Liverpool
Arsenal
Villa
Man City

Everton

Herbie

Tour Winner
Visit site
Some people will argue that as I follow/support Barnsley, i'm not a football fan :eek:.
I predict that Hull will finish 13th, any better and I WILL buy you a pint. :D.
I do hope they do better but fear that when the season gets to the sharp end they will be left wanting.
My Top six:-
Chelsea
Man U
Liverpool
Arsenal
Villa
Man City

Everton
You may be right vig, but Im holding onto my prediction for just a couple more games, but I do think Hull can finish in top 10 if they hold it togeather, but its all about ifs just at the moment, I will have another look in a couple of matches.lol.

Herbie

Tour Winner
Visit site
I hope so - will make a change! Head says "no" with too much cash elsewhere.

Thats the reason I want them to do it against the odds and the money, it will add a little more spice to the game.