Can anyone recommend an exercise for this?

barrybridges

Head Pro
fairwaytogo.wordpress.com
Hello,

I had a lesson at the weekend where my instructor has focussed on two areas where my swing is very weak: the immediate takeaway, and the top of the backswing.

Previously, my swing had a really shallow plane caused largely by leading the takeaway with the wrists and not the arms. As a result, my shots are weak but - to be honest - the swing was quite neutral and shots would generally go straight.

There are two areas he wants me to work on and I wondered if anyone had any recommended exercises and drills to help other than the one he suggested.

First, the immediate takeaway.

Previously, I was leading with the wrists. Now, I am leading with the left arm (I'm right-handed), as if I am using the club head to push back against an invisible force.

The drill he's suggested is to keep the butt of the club handle against the belt buckle and turn as one. Are there any others? What I'm trying to do is familiarise myself with a swing where the takeaway is steeper and remains outside of the body line for longer.

Second, the top of the backswing.

This is my biggest issue that I would welcome thoughts on.

When I take the club to the top of the backswing based on the suggestions of my instructor, I have two issues:

One; I find my natural tendency is to cup my left wrist. Any drills to stop this?

Two: I find my right arm/elbow is a little bit flappy and at the top of the backswing I need to make a concerted effort to keep my left and right elbows at equal heights. At the moment my right arm goes flappy and my right shoulder raises unless I force myself to pull my right elbow in.

Any recommendations?

StrangelyBrown

Tour Winner
Visit site
One; I find my natural tendency is to cup my left wrist. Any drills to stop this?

Take an unwanted credit card/business card/video rental card and stick it into your glove on the top of your hand with half of the card hanging out. If you cup your wrist you'll feel the card dig into the top of your wrist/hand.

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I didn't think your elbows should be at the same height as each other at the top of the swing. Sounds like Eamonn Darcy, or have I misunderstood?

stevelev

Journeyman Pro
www.ecclestonparkgolf.co.uk
Place a golf ball directly behind the club head at address, this is in addition to the one you are addressing. As you takeaway, feel that your left elbow is pushing the clubhead against the ball. As you develop the feeling, the ball should roll straight back not at any angles. Only keep the clubhead on the ball where it feels natural, dont force it to stay on it all the way back, it'll only stay on it for a few inches.

For your right elbow, take a couple of practise swings before every single shot, consiously pulling the right elbow down against you as you shift your weight forward. This will help you replicate it for the real shot.

Also while you are trying to ingrain these skills, try not to play as much, and stick to the range till they feel more natural, dont worry where the ball is going too much just concentrate on getting right what your pro has set you. If you turn the drills to skills the flight and distance will naturally develop. Just stick with and be a little consious when playing a round how easy it is to slip back to the wrong swing with no effort.

ROME WASNT BUILT IN A DAY.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

Take an unwanted credit card/business card/video rental card and stick it into your glove on the top of your hand with half of the card hanging out. If you cup your wrist you'll feel the card dig into the top of your wrist/hand.

Skilz do a glove with a hard plastic back bone for about £19.00