Can anyone advise me if this M2 driver is a good buy? Do not know anything about driver shafts

AdamW

Visit site

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
A shaft that doesn't suit you will ruin a good driver, just as a shaft that does can make any driver better for you.
Ping have always been a forgiving driver without too many bells and whistles;)

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
As stated earlier, the 'better' shaft is the one that works best for you. Both are reasonable, though both very light. This particular M2 is, I believe, the 2016 model which didn't have the adjustment capability of the 2017 model - though was significantly (£100?) cheaper. To me, price still seems a bit high given that 'deficiency', but if the club works well for you, then that's irrelevant.

Edit: Taylormade and Hype were (and maybe still are) pretty synonymous! I know of lots of folk who got hooked on that ride, but their scores didn't reduce much, if at all! You seem to be relatively conservative (asking advice; currently using Big Bertha). Ping, your alternative, make really good clubs that simply work, so I'd suggest going the Ping way is likely to be more likely to get a solid improvement that hoping you fit the particular TM club well! If the TM happens to be 'right' for you, then you may be slightly longer than with a Ping, but if it's wrong for you, you'll very likely only rarely be playing 2nd shots from the fairway!

Last edited:

timd77

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I’ve got that club, it is adjustable. Recently swapped the stock regular shaft for a stiff shaft, first impressions are good. But as we all know, everyone is different.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
not sure any of the stock shafts were that good, but it it works its fine as other have said. this white tie is one of the made for new ones, which are not a patch on the real thing (they don't make any longer i believe) i have the same driver with real white tie, and nothing touched it when tested against new driver last year

i seems quite expensive for an old driver though unless its brand new., can be had for £99 or less, local pro shops here had a fair before lockdown

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
I use a Matrix Shaft & I think it's brilliant. The Black Tie is low launch. The Red Tie is mid launch. The White Tie is a high launching Shaft with moderate spin. It is likely to suit someone with a lowish (say - 85mph) driver swings speed who struggles to get enough carry. If I used one I'd be able to reach the stratosphere. Don't expect it to give you a low, boring flight.

A lot better than the stock shaft, I would say, if it suits you.

Shooter McPowick

Head Pro
Visit site
I have no idea as i have only ever used a very old Big Bertha driver.

Maybe a case of just giving it a go and selling it if i do not get on with it?

My other option is this one?

https://www.golfclubs4cash.co.uk/sh...0-5-regular-flex-fujikura-pro-shaft-tadm2103/

Or i go down the ping G route for very similar money, just seen the M2 getting a lot of hype in the reviews.
I bought one of these new from American Golf and this fujikura shaft was what came stock in mine. I personally love it and have put it into my newer model M1

timd77

Assistant Pro
Visit site
The simple thing about all these drivers is if you do not like the shaft you can change it for another one, the cost of buying a secondhand shaft on ebay is about the same as what you will get if you sell the old one.

Yep, that’s what I’m doing, I’ve kept the regular shaft for now and will sell it once I’m confident the new one is an improvement.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I had a set of TM Burner woods (driver, 3, 5) all of which were supposed to have R shafts bought off the shelf from an AG. The driver felt like a normal R and played as such the 3 was definitely much stiffer and the 5W was like wet spaghetti and so whippy. When I showed it to the fitter (I was getting a Ping fitting) he couldn't believe the differences. I would definitely be looking at a Ping option (loads of good second hand options out there)

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I use a Matrix Shaft & I think it's brilliant. The Black Tie is low launch. The Red Tie is mid launch. The White Tie is a high launching Shaft with moderate spin. It is likely to suit someone with a lowish (say - 85mph) driver swings speed who struggles to get enough carry. If I used one I'd be able to reach the stratosphere. Don't expect it to give you a low, boring flight.

you are talking about the original Matrix shafts, the new ones are nothing like the originals. i think they either went under or got bought out, but nothing like the orig ones

AdamW

Visit site
Thanks for everyone's help on this!

Had a bit of a u turn and trying to pick between a g25 and g30.

G25 is £50 delivered regular 10.5 ping shaft

G30 is £70 delivered regular 10.5 ping shaft

Both have head covers and tools

Is g30 worth the extra £20?

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site

I'm pretty certain that Matrix White Tie WAS a 'stock' shaft on these heads. It certainly was on at least 1 of the previous models. As a 'Made For TM', I believe it was nothing like 'real deal' ones (like Adams used), though the 'attributes' were similar - High Launch, Medium-High Spin!

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site

At those prices, either is a great buy! But, if condition is similar, I'd suggest the G30 IS worth £20 more, simply for the 'better' adjustability. G25 was the first adjustable Driver Ping made and they were, fairly typically, pretty conservative about what they did. Both are great Drivers!

timd77

Assistant Pro
Visit site

Wow, where are you seeing them for that price?

big_matt

Assistant Pro
Visit site
The simple thing about all these drivers is if you do not like the shaft you can change it for another one, the cost of buying a secondhand shaft on ebay is about the same as what you will get if you sell the old one.

This is a good point. Buy something with a good shaft and you should be able to swap into a different one by losing little or no money.

big_matt

Assistant Pro
Visit site
OP - are you aware how these drivers sound? They are very different. Taylormade 2016 M2 is a muted, wooden sound. G30 is for me extremely loud and harsh sounding.

If feel/sound is a factor for you then something to consider.