Cameron Smith - PGA Official Warning???

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
I see that the PGA Tour has issued Cameron Smith with an official warning re his comments he made in relation to the Patrick Reed "cheating" incident. While I have my opinions on the actual incident I feel that the PGA Tour are on slippery ground here and are wrong to take such action against a player expressing their views when asked. Its almost like a cover up exercise now and they're making it worse.

I don't think this will be the last of it and believe that they would have been best to let sleeping dogs lie.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
The irony of the PGA giving someone a warning for speaking his mind when asked a question is brilliant when you hear yanks bang on again it being the land of the free. If someone is asked a question they should be entitled to give an honest answer.

I believe some American pros have been equally outspoken. Yet the US tour seems only to have sanctioned an Australian golfer. So it would appear for some it is the land of the free, just not for all.

D

Deleted member 15344

If I were Smith I'd ignore them, and if they tried any kind of sanctions I'd take them to court for restriction of trade
I guess because he is a member of the tour he has to abide by a Tour Code of Conduct and I don’t expect that would allow players to call other players a cheat - regardless of what happened - don’t want to bite the hand that feeds you as they say

Sports_Fanatic

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I probably agree with the Tour here. I'm dubious on the original foul - it should have received more than the penalty PGA tour imposed, probably at least an immediate withdrawal and potentially a suspension.

But once they've assessed the situation, decided Reed didn't cheat and formed their view, they then can't have other players openly saying he's cheater as it would cause an issue for them, whether on devaluing the brand or their code of conduct if Reed complained. They didn't say anything when Smith first spoke on the issue, but now they've got to say it needs to stop.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I guess by the code of conduct they are correct and think Sports_Fanatic summed it up well and by deciding it wasn't cheating by Reed (in their blinkered view compared to the majority of opinion elsewhere as I see it) then they can't be seen to be letting others carry on the debate in such a way. I think by making a stand now they are hoping to send a message out and that they can slowly let this whole Reed sand sage be neatly swept under a carpet now and forgotten

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
I probably agree with the Tour here. I'm dubious on the original foul - it should have received more than the penalty PGA tour imposed, probably at least an immediate withdrawal and potentially a suspension.

But once they've assessed the situation, decided Reed didn't cheat and formed their view, they then can't have other players openly saying he's cheater as it would cause an issue for them, whether on devaluing the brand or their code of conduct if Reed complained. They didn't say anything when Smith first spoke on the issue, but now they've got to say it needs to stop.

I guess by the code of conduct they are correct and think Sports_Fanatic summed it up well and by deciding it wasn't cheating by Reed (in their blinkered view compared to the majority of opinion elsewhere as I see it) then they can't be seen to be letting others carry on the debate in such a way. I think by making a stand now they are hoping to send a message out and that they can slowly let this whole Reed sand sage be neatly swept under a carpet now and forgotten

On what planet is deliberately improving your lie and being assessed a two shot penalty not cheating?

Accidentally breaking a rule, not being aware of a rule, fine, that's not cheating. But this guy deliberately improved his lie.

D

Deleted member 23344

Please, let’s not rehash the whole original “he cheated/he didn’t cheat” argument ... that’s been done to death.

D

Deleted member 1147

So are they saying that it’s worse to criticise a cheat than it is to actually cheat?

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
On what planet is deliberately improving your lie and being assessed a two shot penalty not cheating?

Accidentally breaking a rule, not being aware of a rule, fine, that's not cheating. But this guy deliberately improved his lie.
I totally agree and as I said that was the view the majority of the golfing world. However the PGA in their wisdom have deemed Reed's action otherwise and so Smith's comments are deemed against the code of conduct. Personally I found Reed a repugnant individual and have no respect as a golf fan for him at all

D

Deleted member 1147

I respect him as a brilliant golfer and have no issues with him as an individual. But cheating is cheating, and as such should be free for condemnation by peers.

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site
The irony of the PGA issuing a warning to a player for speaking out but slightly earlier celebrating the incident by retweeting the video of JT and reed making a joke of the situation! They really do have no balls!
Cameron Smith should get to world number one and come over to the European tour full time to piss them off.

bladeplayer

Money List Winner
Visit site

But once the rule s official/officials on the spot made a decision on it the tour were put in a no win situation .
If they say he did cheat and over rule the on course officials Reid would sue them out the door .
Once they decided to back the original decision they rightly or wrongly have to stop talk of cheating. Hands are tied