Camera (For A Technophobic Idiot)

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Right, simple problem. Looking to do a lot more filming when playing golf and need something a tad more substantial than the mobile but not looking for anything all singing all dancing. Would an entry level DSLR be suitable (some do 4k) or oare there other alternatives and if so what's a good one. I am also looking for something with decent photo quality so HID can use it as she is setting up a small and local hanging plant scheme (plant advice, watering/feeding etc) around our local neighbourhood so will need good quality pictures of baskets, flowers etc. Also want something to take decent pics on holiday too. Not much to ask!!!!

Any advice welcomed. Not looking to spend a fortune (£300-£400 max)

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Right, simple problem. Looking to do a lot more filming when playing golf and need something a tad more substantial than the mobile but not looking for anything all singing all dancing. Would an entry level DSLR be suitable (some do 4k)

If I weren't looking for something "all singing and dancing" I would steer clear of a DSLR.
"Most" people buy a DSLR to allow a little more creativity, but it doesn't sound like you want that.
I'd be looking at a good quality compact, or possibly a decent "bridge" camera (the bridge between a compact and a DSLR).
Most modern compact and bridge cameras will give you pretty good results, certainly plenty good enough for what you (and your wife) want to achieve.
One of the biggest hassles with DLSR's is their size. And you will find this to a certain extent with bridge cameras too.
Another thing to avoid is a camera with a massive great built in zoom lens.
Sounds great that you can get a 64x Zoom. But the chances are you will never use it in the "real world" ... the slightest camera shake is magnified 64 times too, so the results at the longer focal lengths are normally disappointing unless you are using a decent tripod. And even then they are usually crap.
I have a few cameras, a couple of compacts and a micro 4/3rds system (Olympus PEN).
There's no doubt that the PEN gives me the "better" results but the camera I grab more often than not is my tiny little Canon Ixus.
It takes brilliant photos in auto mode, has numerous shooting modes for a little more creativity, and fits into my pocket a treat.
http://www.canon.co.uk/cameras/point-and-shoot-cameras/

I know I have an Olympus, but the two makes I tend to look at 1st if I am buying a camera are either Nikon or Canon.
They both make brilliant cameras.
I have had mixed results with Samsung and Sony products in the past.
Nikon and Canon have made their fortunes out of photographic products. Nikon especially.

Last edited:

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
If I weren't looking for something "all singing and dancing" I would steer clear of a DSLR.
"Most" people buy a DSLR to allow a little more creativity, but it doesn't sound like you want that.
I'd be looking at a good quality compact, or possibly a decent "bridge" camera (the bridge between a compact and a DSLR).
Most modern compact and bridge cameras will give you pretty good results, certainly plenty good enough for what you (and your wife) want to achieve.
One of the biggest hassles with DLSR's is their size. And you will find this to a certain extent with bridge cameras too.
Another thing to avoid is a camera with a massive great built in zoom lens.
Sounds great that you can get a 64x Zoom. But the chances are you will never use it in the "real world" ... the slightest camera shake is magnified 64 times too, so the results at the longer focal lengths are normally disappointing unless you are using a decent tripod. And even then they are usually crap.
I have a few cameras, a couple of compacts and a micro 4/3rds system (Olympus PEN).
There's no doubt that the PEN gives me the "better" results but the camera I grab more often than not is my tiny little Canon Ixus.
It takes brilliant photos in auto mode, has numerous shooting modes for a little more creativity, and fits into my pocket a treat.
http://www.canon.co.uk/cameras/point-and-shoot-cameras/

I know I have an Olympus, but the two makes I tend to look at 1st if I am buying a camera are either Nikon or Canon.
They both make brilliant cameras.
I have had mixed results with Samsung and Sony products in the past.
Nikon and Canon have made their fortunes out of photographic products. Nikon especially.

Another vote for the Ixus.

I returned to DSLR's a few years back but, once again, have consigned my Nikon to the back of the cupboard due to its size. A compact will fit in a jacket or trouser pocket, whereas the Nikon, and its lenses, is in a rucksack.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I agree with most, I use a Canon DSLR for my more important photo's but a Canon point and shoot for snaps (and some holiday pics)

As a technophobe, I don't suggest a DSLR as it'd be easy to get the settings wrong if you go manual and if you go auto you might as well get a good point and shoot

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Thank you to everyone that took the time to post links and offer their advice. it was much appreciated. in the end, with some input from a really top guy at Jessops in Reading I went for a simple JVC camcorder. Very point and shoot which is ideal for my needs and got this very good tripod too. Just need to get out and start doing the stuff I want to do with it

https://www.amazon.co.uk/AmazonBasi...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=WZ2YHYV4RHGTT9JWDGS4