called penalty on myself.Was i right

bignev

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
While Playing in a Stableford comp yesterday I was chipping onto the 9th green.
As i hit the ball I caught it heavy and during the follow through just clipped the ball again.
I brought this to the attention of my playing partners and declared the second touch of the ball as
a penalty of one shot then played the ball as it lay. Was I correct or should it of been a two shot penalty.
It had no effect on the result of the whole as I ended up blobbing it :(

D

Deleted member 15344

One shot on top of the shot taken the play as it lies :thup:

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
One shot on top of the shot taken the play as it lies :thup:

Possibly better to say 'one stroke on top of the stroke taken, then play it as it lies'. A treble 'hit' only costs the same 1 stroke penalty as a double 'hit' - they were both a single 'stroke'.

freddielong

Tour Winner
www.garbtherapy.com
Possibly better to say 'one stroke on top of the stroke taken, then play it as it lies'. A treble 'hit' only costs the same 1 stroke penalty as a double 'hit' - they were both a single 'stroke'.

Wowsers as a golfer who has played for 32 years I don't think I have ever had or seen a treble hit that would be some achievement and worth the entry fee on its own.

D

Deleted member 15344

Wow that's a whole new level of pickiness ! Shot/stroke etc etc I think 99.999999% will realise it's the same thing

John_R7

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Call me stupid as the above is fairly clear but I just want to double check.

I thought it was 1 shot for the stroke + 1 shot for the hit in mid air + 1 shot penalty = 3 shots
Above you say 1 shot for the stroke + 'ignore the mid air hit' + 1 shot penalty = 2 shots

The above scenario counts as 2 shots, yes?

atticusfinch

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Yes two shots but "shots" are not defined in the rules. you have to count strokes. The stroke hit the ball twice. that is not two strokes per the ruie. Then you add a penalty stroke for striking the ball twice with one stroke.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
You count a stroke for the original 'stroke' (ie the forward movement of the club made with the intention of striking at and moving the ball).
There is a penalty stroke for striking the ball again. However, there are no further penalty strokes if you happen to strike the ball more times.

palindromicbob

Tour Winner
Visit site
Wow that's a whole new level of pickiness ! Shot/stroke etc etc I think 99.999999% will realise it's the same thing

Yes two shots but "shots" are not defined in the rules. you have to count strokes. The stroke hit the ball twice. that is not two strokes per the ruie. Then you add a penalty stroke for striking the ball twice with one stroke.

Atticus is giving a good example of the reason for the pedantry but using shot/stroke interchangeably is fine as long as you apply the definition correctly.

A "stroke" is the forward movement of the club made with the intention of striking at and moving the ball, but if a player checks his downswing voluntarily before the clubhead reaches the ball he has not made a stroke.

Every additional impact of the ball during the motion is not defined as a stroke. You could hit the ball 27 times during one stroke and that would be counted on the card as 1 stroke with 1 penalty stroke.

Rule 14-4.

D

Deleted member 15344

Shot/stroke - same thing for me :thup:

Two words meaning the same

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site

Call me stupid as the above is fairly clear but I just want to double check.

I thought it was 1 shot for the stroke + 1 shot for the hit in mid air + 1 shot penalty = 3 shots
Above you say 1 shot for the stroke + 'ignore the mid air hit' + 1 shot penalty = 2 shots

The above scenario counts as 2 shots, yes?

That (the confusion/misconception about hit, shot, strike) demonstrates why I posted what I did - agreed 'picky', but I did temper it with 'possibly better'. It was meant to be helpful btw. I was guilty of similar with my 'ground' in bunker but 20 posts stating 'Socket is never wrong' for homework (since deleted thankfully) means I won't repeat that! :rofl:

@freddielong I guess you haven't seen someone with the chipping yips then! I'm not a yipper, but I think I've had a 3-hit instance once or twice with my greenside duffs! :temper:

Last edited: