Caddying?

mashleyR7

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I’ve been asked to caddy tomorrow for a group of Italian visitors to Littlestone links. £60 plus tips so I said yeah why not! I’ve got my laser and course planner plus my knowledge of the course and obvs years of golf etiquette etc. Anyone every caddied and can share some wisdom?

D

Deleted member 16999

I’ve been asked to caddy tomorrow for a group of Italian visitors to Littlestone links. £60 plus tips so I said yeah why not! I’ve got my laser and course planner plus my knowledge of the course and obvs years of golf etiquette etc. Anyone every caddied and can share some wisdom?
Have a chat with who you’re caddying for to gauge their ability (language barrier permitting), they may need no more than pointing in the right direction.
The greens and your knowledge of them could be the biggest help.
Try and remember it’s them playing the shot not you and if they are high handicappers, course management will help, keep them in play even if it means advising on lesser clubs.
If there is no language barrier enjoy it and make them feel relaxed.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Have a towel with you, wipe clubs, clean the ball.

I usually have a few tees and a pitch mark repairer in my pocket too.

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
I've only ever caddied for my wife. It wasn't really caddying at all - I was just there to take the blame whenever anything went wrong 😲

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Set your lazer to metres...

Mind you when I played there in a match a few weeks ago I couldn't see most of the flags I was supposed to be aiming for!

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Hope you - and they - enjoyed it!

Done a bit of caddying in my time, though not down you neck of the woods!

Best to check your man's (Euro) handicap and agree whether he is an agressive or conservative player! That should determine your 'advice' on most holes.

Don't try to get to involved with the group, but feel free (after 15 holes or so) to recommend other courses for their next visit to UK!

Remember that you are a 'servant', even if that's actually a bit of a negative thought!

Oh! And be conservative about lines - both into and on the green!

Last edited:

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I have caddied a lot in the past and have loved it most of the time.

Dont forget they are the boss, but it’s your fault if it goes wrong.

Ask what their yardage’s are with certain clubs so it’s not guess work , don’t forget it’s metres in their country but they should do the conversion.

enjoy.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Done a lot as a kid. I assume the OP has permission to caddy as some courses can be very funny about it, especially if they already have a caddy master and regular caddies. Assuming everything is hunky dory, keep the clubs clean, don't give them too much information (unless asked) and keep them moving. I am sure they'll love the experience and tip well

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Ive done it few times and TBH for the guys i caddied for it was just part of the experience of playing the course and they just expected to have a caddie.

Only ever for Americans and they all either could't follow the simple instructions of where to hit the ball or start a putt from, not to mention all thought they hit the ball 30 yards further per club.

Give them the yardage, be polite, take the money and smile;)

mashleyR7

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
This turned out to be really fun in the end. Not exactly caddying as the 3 ball I was with had two in a buggy and one using a trolley. They all had watches and lasers to give them yardages and I was just there to help them with course management and putting lines. It was all going well on the first few holes, although they we're playing medal so one bloke did have 7/8 on the first hole, they never play stableford apparently, on our 6th a par 3 one chap hit left of the green into a run off which isn't usually too long but this week it hadnt been cut and we could find his ball, runs back to the tee, hit one right, chops it out, chips it over the green close to where his original ball would of been, turns out the 2nd ball it slap bang next to his first! He wasn't happy, clubs flying around, plenty of Italian swearing, all about me no doubt. So from here on I gave them the lines off the tee then walked down the hole to watch we're the tee shots which was much better.
They were doing their own Kent Tour, Princes, RSG, RCP, Littlestone but also chucked in Canterbury. 24 of them in all so big group. All of them in the same trousers and tops, all carrying the same bag and all carrying Italian flag towels, if we abroad like that we'd be called Enlgish louts im sure! ha ha.