Caddies in tournaments (not pro's)

TonyN

Money List Winner
Visit site
Do or have any of you used a caddie in a club match? Do you know anyone that has? Would you if you could or is it not the done thing unless your a pro?

Only reason I ask is because when i eventually join a club and start playing in comps, my mate (the pro) said he wouldnt mind coming along to 'caddie' for me as part of him teaching me/passing on his knowledge.

I thought this was very kind of him and felt honoured, because realy i should be carrying his bag and cleaning his clubs.

But he says it will be a good way for him to pass on knowledge, course management and also take the pressure off playing with strangers for the first few times.

The only problem i have with it is, will people see this for something else? 'ooh look at him, thinks he's a pro' or 'whats he need a caddie for its only a sunday roll up' etc etc.

Views please guys/gals!

Basher

Tour Winner
yorkshiregolf.proboards.com
Fill yer boots Tony lad!

What I'd give to have a pro caddy for me. I'm sure you'll learn vast amounts from him, it'll also improve your golf. It's like having free on course lessons.

The only downside I can see is that you'll be playing the course how he wants you to, not how YOU want to.

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
Absolutely nothing wrong with having a caddy for the interclub comps etc. The better the player caddying the better you will go round.

shanker

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
You've nothing to worry about Tony. Lots of people caddy for friends, husbands, wives etc. and it isn't considered odd. I've caddied a few times myself for good players and was glad to finish. I imagine caddying for somebody you could beat would be dull, to say the least.

Timberbonce

Head Pro
Visit site
i've just finished my comp today and one of the guys i was playing with had a caddy, was just his m8 who happened to not be playing this week. it didn't seem out of the ordinary at all, infact it was great to have someone looking after the flag and going ahead for the bacon butties half way round

Nico

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
What a top bloke!

Dont need to tell you how far above and beyond call of duty this is.

I appreciate why you would not want to abuse this offer.

There are no rules as far as I know about when and where to use a caddy,however.....

Do not use him in a roll-up friendly swindle!

Do, however accept his help in any comp, be it medal,stableford,matchplay etc.

Says a lot about you pal.

TonyN

Money List Winner
Visit site
Cheers guys, he really is a top bloke, he even gives me free lessons every now and then and to be honest i owe him alot because he has taught me alot about the game itself, how to conduct my self on the course etc, what i can and can't do, i often play with him and even when we are playing against each other he gives me tips and advice.

I am trying to get him to sign up on here so he can pass on his wisdom to you lot aswell!

Dont think it will be long before he does.

D

Deleted member 1147

The only thing against it is that some clubs / competitions don't allow caddies.

So I'd recommend you check the small print before you buy!!

John_Findlay

Tour Winner
Visit site
No problem with it, Tony. Used to caddie for my pals in matches regularly and vice versa. We had an unwritten rule that if any of us beat the other in a club comp. we would caddie for them in the next round. Was a good system.

theeaglehunter

Tour Winner
Visit site
one rule I know about regarding caddies is that parents are not allowed to caddy for their child. I'm not sure if this is only at my course though.

theeaglehunter

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'm sure there is a reason Tony but I don't know it. I can only presume it is something to do with parents being more likely to cheat for their children or likely to push them to hard to succeed or something like that. I will try and find out thoguh next time I am at the club. Thinking about it, it may also be to encourage the independence of the child so they can learn to play with other people without their parent/s being there. If I find out I will let you know.

RGuk

Tour Winner
Visit site
one rule I know about regarding caddies is that parents are not allowed to caddy for their child. I'm not sure if this is only at my course though.

This is ok at mine. The under 11s are planning some 9 hole medals....I'll be there, with the heavy duty bag :cool:

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Not sure we have anything set in stone about caddying in monthly comps or club matches but it isn't the done thing here and I'm sure if anyone turned up with a caddy they would get a fair amount of stick.

However thats not to say I wouldn't want to be I your shoes and would love to be able to get on course advice from a pro. If your course allows caddy's I'd get as much out of him as you can