Caddie Survey for School

CliveW

Tour Winner
Visit site
Welcome. I don't think caddies should be used for a school assignment. Better using them for carrying clubs! :ROFLMAO:

Joking apart, I am assuming you are from the other side of the pond from us and we very rarely employ caddies here unless it is somewhere really special like The Old Course at St. Andrews. I have completed your survey, but it is a bit confusing as it does not give an option of $0 if you didn't want a caddie, yet you require an answer to each question.

oidon_

Visit site
XD Thanks for the input! I edited so that you don't have to answer all of them lol. And you got that right, I'm across the pond. Over here it's a more common, but still uncommon, to find caddies at golf courses.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
It's quite a brief survey, but it raises quite an interesting question. As Clive W has said, it's uncommom here to have caddies - although, if given the opportunity on a course I was playing as a one off experience, I think I'd be tempted to hire one - just to see how their course knowledge would contrast with my decision making.

Good luck with the assignment young en.(y)

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
Caddies came up somewhere here some months ago if you search.
Thought posed that they are really a legacy from a time when Victorian gentlemen wouldnt do anything as lowly as carry something themselves, and labour was cheap and so paying someone to walk behind you to serve you a club fitted the world of that time. That it has become enshrined in the rules of golf and still permitted when multiple mechanical alternatives are possible, is quite an anachronism. Its a strange hangover from the days of class and menial manual labour.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Caddies came up somewhere here some months ago if you search.
Thought posed that they are really a legacy from a time when Victorian gentlemen wouldnt do anything as lowly as carry something themselves, and labour was cheap and so paying someone to walk behind you to serve you a club fitted the world of that time. That it has become enshrined in the rules of golf and still permitted when multiple mechanical alternatives are possible, is quite an anachronism. Its a strange hangover from the days of class and menial manual labour.
Hmm, I think my grandson would disagree as he is currently earning £60 min/£120 max per round on the Ayrshire coast during the school hols.;)

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
Hmm, I think my grandson would disagree as he is currently earning £60 min/£120 max per round on the Ayrshire coast during the school hols.;)
But thats exactly it, its pocket money for school kids, from some rich enough not to bother with the inconvenience of pressing the button on a trolley or cleaning his own club.

Sports_Fanatic

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Completed it but slightly strange one. I've had a caddie in past at a couple of open courses.

As a one off it was good as helped with wind, green reads and a bit more knowledge about the place. Felt a little more special.

I'd probably prefer a shared forecaddie though for the group to do that and help occasionally without getting in the way too much. I'm more than capable of carrying clubs, so i found four caddies in a group changed the dynamic of the conversation so not chatting as much to mates on the trip, and also put a bit more pressure on shots, club selection where if i just had someone helping occasionally with line then you'd get more freedom to sort yourself.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
But thats exactly it, its pocket money for school kids, from some rich enough not to bother with the inconvenience of pressing the button on a trolley or cleaning his own club.

A good caddy on an unplayed course is worth about 5 to 6 shots a round to your average golfer.
I don't think my grandson has reached that level after two rounds.
Another round tomorrow so earning min £180 prob £240 plus a couple of days money [£50] for his evening washup job for three days work
Quite proud of him.

evemccc

Visit site
A good caddy on an unplayed course is worth about 5 to 6 shots a round to your average golfer.
I don't think my grandson has reached that level after two rounds.
Another round tomorrow so earning min £180 prob £240 plus a couple of days money [£50] for his evening washup job for three days work
Quite proud of him.

Do you think he and other caddies are worth it?
What I mean is, is he very knowledgable about the course i.e. where to miss, when to lay-up etc?

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Do you think he and other caddies are worth it?
What I mean is, is he very knowledgable about the course i.e. where to miss, when to lay-up etc?

After 3 rounds caddying, of course not.......that is just the going rate for a caddy in the West of Scotland.
I did stipulate that a GOOD caddy is worth 5 to 6 shots.
You could go to St Andrews and get a student caddy who barely knows his way around the course or an expert who knows what kind of a player you are and plots a way around the course for you.
Top commercial courses like Turnberry Troon, Gleneagles and St Andrews have a group of expert caddies who are very much in demand.
Even the student caddies get a reasonable amount of training before they start and will only go out with an experienced caddy in the group. Hence the hefty financial tips for the top guys. They virtually double their fees.

evemccc

Visit site
After 3 rounds caddying, of course not.......that is just the going rate for a caddy in the West of Scotland.
I did stipulate that a GOOD caddy is worth 5 to 6 shots.
You could go to St Andrews and get a student caddy who barely knows his way around the course or an expert who knows what kind of a player you are and plots a way around the course for you.
Top commercial courses like Turnberry Troon, Gleneagles and St Andrews have a group of expert caddies who are very much in demand.
Even the student caddies get a reasonable amount of training before they start and will only go out with an experienced caddy in the group. Hence the hefty financial tips for the top guys. They virtually double their fees.

I’m planning on playing TOC via the Singles Queue very soon.

Obvs no guarantee I’ll get on, and so may be difficult to arrange a caddie..

How do you ensure you get a ‘decent’ caddie? How does the process work?

I’m in two minds really - I don’t doubt that a good caddie can save me some shots but if I do get on via the SQ then I’m likely to be short of sleep and I’m really there for the experience not to post a record score.

I’ve walked TOC twice this spring, and watched the excellent Golf Digest flyover videos + the SALinks Trust YouTube videos showing how to play each hole — obvs I’m a first-timer to play TOC but I feel I have and will do more prior reading and research than many visitors

I didn’t take a caddie at RSG and was good tee to green - and had no problem with finding lines in…(execution is sometimes a problem of course ?)

Also, the figuring out / calculations of what to do before the shot - and in planning the round / visualising it via yardage book and with pin positions before the hole is probably the part of golf I enjoy the most — I don’t want a caddie just telling me to hit it left….
I know that ‘right’ will often provide a better second shot - based on risk and reward

I’m in two minds..also how much does a superior caddie cost and average tip suggestion?

Advice / arguments for and against welcome

CliveW

Tour Winner
Visit site

Also, the figuring out / calculations of what to do before the shot - and in planning the round / visualising it via yardage book and with pin positions before the hole is probably the part of golf I enjoy the most — I don’t want a caddie just telling me to hit it left….
I know that ‘right’ will often provide a better second shot - based on risk and reward

I’m in two minds..also how much does a superior caddie cost and average tip suggestion?

https://standrews.com/golf/caddie-services

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site

I’m in two minds really - I don’t doubt that a good caddie can save me some shots but if I do get on via the SQ then I’m likely to be short of sleep and I’m really there for the experience not to post a record score.

I’ve walked TOC twice this spring, and watched the excellent Golf Digest flyover videos + the SALinks Trust YouTube videos showing how to play each hole — obvs I’m a first-timer to play TOC but I feel I have and will do more prior reading and research than many visitors

I didn’t take a caddie at RSG and was good tee to green - and had no problem with finding lines in…(execution is sometimes a problem of course ?)

Advice / arguments for and against welcome
The 2nd time I played it i took a a caddy. Main reason was they don't let you use a trolly before lunchtime. I didn't book it in advance, just asked on the tee. Paid him £100, it was worth it, gave me the correct lines in on every hole and gave some great reads on the greens.
Planning on playing Royal St George's. Next year and will prob book one for that.