Cack-handed chipping...

MarkT

GM Forum Editor
Visit site
This might be the only thing left to me and wondered if anyone else had been down this path? I've tried every sort of grip and technique other than this, have had a Chipper in the bag for three years (which has now gone) and can get by with a 6-iron or 64˚ flop - anything in between and the anxiety floods back.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
This might be the only thing left to me and wondered if anyone else had been down this path? I've tried every sort of grip and technique other than this, have had a Chipper in the bag for three years (which has now gone) and can get by with a 6-iron or 64˚ flop - anything in between and the anxiety floods back.

Mark, I've had problems with all aspects of the game and even then am no more than a competent 17 / 18 handicapper.

But one thing that sticks with me is that if you have a problem with a shot that creates anxiety then you have to get over that - you simply cannot play golf when anxious or having negative thoughts. Either don't play the shot, for example a flop shot, chip and run, fade, draw etc. Just manage those times and play a 'safe' shot OR learn the shot to a degree that inspires confidence.

You won't ever master something to the point you eliminate all bad shots, but if you can find a level of confidence to the point you believe you can play the next shot well, or acceptably, then this will allow you to play the game without that anxiety.

Whether you can get a lesson, or read a book and then go and lay down 50 balls every day for the next week. and learn to play the shot to the level that you know the next shot is going to be a good one. Obviously on the course you can't play multiple shots in a row, but if you can get that confidence in practice it will at least give you a chance to play a good shot on the course.

I know it's easy to say... get a lesson, but if you are struggling to that extent, then £40 will be money well spent to get you on the right path. Take the club straight back, as if you are playing up against a wall and follow through twice as far as you have swung back.

I'd reckon that chipping cack handed is unlikely to yield better results in the medium to long term, and after a few bad shots the anxiety will return and you'll try some other technique.

MarkT

GM Forum Editor
Visit site
If you can play a 64 degree flop shot you have little to worry about ?

The shot I dread is a very straightforward 10-yard chip over anything. The 64 is amazing as I have to commit to it but I'd just love to have a very simple bunt forward without the shockwaves of electricity

MarkT

GM Forum Editor
Visit site
Mark, I've had problems with all aspects of the game and even then am no more than a competent 17 / 18 handicapper.

But one thing that sticks with me is that if you have a problem with a shot that creates anxiety then you have to get over that - you simply cannot play golf when anxious or having negative thoughts. Either don't play the shot, for example a flop shot, chip and run, fade, draw etc. Just manage those times and play a 'safe' shot OR learn the shot to a degree that inspires confidence.

You won't ever master something to the point you eliminate all bad shots, but if you can find a level of confidence to the point you believe you can play the next shot well, or acceptably, then this will allow you to play the game without that anxiety.

Whether you can get a lesson, or read a book and then go and lay down 50 balls every day for the next week. and learn to play the shot to the level that you know the next shot is going to be a good one. Obviously on the course you can't play multiple shots in a row, but if you can get that confidence in practice it will at least give you a chance to play a good shot on the course.

I know it's easy to say... get a lesson, but if you are struggling to that extent, then £40 will be money well spent to get you on the right path. Take the club straight back, as if you are playing up against a wall and follow through twice as far as you have swung back.

I'd reckon that chipping cack handed is unlikely to yield better results in the medium to long term, and after a few bad shots the anxiety will return and you'll try some other technique.

True, the lesson is so underrated if only to clarify the vast collection of thoughts. Quite enjoying the 6i at the moment which has silenced one or two demons

hairball_89

Club Champion
Visit site
Surely this is just crying out for 45 mins with a pro on a practice green and an hour or so after bedding it in. Then returning a week later for more practice?

Get a lesson, practice what they show you. Do it until it doesn't make you fill your pants!

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
True, the lesson is so underrated if only to clarify the vast collection of thoughts. Quite enjoying the 6i at the moment which has silenced one or two demons

I had issues with chipping, and it probably still costs me more shots than any other area, but what I've done this year was simply stick to one club. I basically use my 54 for all shots around the green.

I got a lesson last year and learned some good technique.

My problem moved on, it was not technique based. It was feeling like I HAD to play an 8 or 9 iron chip and run because that was conventional wisdom, that was the 'easier', 'risk-free' option. However ultimately I was more confident with the wedge. I would stand over the shot with an 8 iron and never feel 100% confident that it was the right club or the right shot. As a result I almost never got up and down... either playing a poor shot with the iron or having a shot that required a wedge, but struggling as I wasn't playing it often enough.

So now, I eliminate that choice and play the wedge. Obviously I don't always get up and down, but I play a lot more good shots and far fewer destructive ones.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I think if you putt with left hand below right, then it actually makes some sense to chip that way as well. I try to think of all my greenside chips as I do putting. I take my glove off, typically use an 8 iron unless I need to fly it over something so it stays low, and use an uncomplicated movement, very similar to hitting a long putt - and obviously trying to roll it up as near to the hole as possible just as you would with putting. So if chipping with hands reversed makes it feel more like a putt to you I would say it's worth a try. Anything you can get to work is worth doing.

MarkT

GM Forum Editor
Visit site
I think if you putt with left hand below right, then it actually makes some sense to chip that way as well. I try to think of all my greenside chips as I do putting. I take my glove off, typically use an 8 iron unless I need to fly it over something so it stays low, and use an uncomplicated movement, very similar to hitting a long putt - and obviously trying to roll it up as near to the hole as possible just as you would with putting. So if chipping with hands reversed makes it feel more like a putt to you I would say it's worth a try. Anything you can get to work is worth doing.

I do putt left below right which is why I always think it will work. A short conventional chip feels, among all the other things, the most alien movement

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I do putt left below right which is why I always think it will work. A short conventional chip feels, among all the other things, the most alien movement
Try it then. What's the worst that can happen? If it doesn't work you're no worse off than before.

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
I tried left below right. Worked for a while, and then managed to yip with that grip as well.

Chipping with a hybrid was the answer for me, but you do need to keep bunkers out of your way.;)

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
Choosing the right club for the job is essential, for me 9 iron is my current starting point and I go down to wedges as I need more carry.

Also knowing and practicing pitches vs chips is essential as getting mixed up mid swing is a certain chunk or thin. Chris Ryan on YouTube has a great video on this subject which really helped me.