Buying a used car

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
Unfortunately my BMW has had enough so I’m buying a used Ford Focus.
I’ve had 2 bad experiences before when buying for the wife so really want to make sure this time.
It comes with a 3 month warranty and for an additional £399 I can purchase another 12 months(seems sensible) but are they worth it.
It’s not the main dealer but an RAC backed dealership.
I won’t say the price but when haggling for a discount or extras what you try and haggle off there’s always wiggle room.
I always go for floor mats and a full tank of petrol.
What do you do?
Be quick before it’s too late lol

Pin-seeker

Visit site
My mrs took out the extra warranty,I said I wouldn’t have bothered.

It ended up paying for itself twice over.
Needless to say she likes to remind me about it every now & then ?

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Not sure Ill bother trying again after 2+ hours spent this afternoon that Ill never get back on a waste of space salesman, back to the old banger :)

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Look on Parker’s price guide, you will get 4 figures trade, poor, average and good... trade and poor are very similar.
Check to see if they have serviced it, look at the wheels and tyres ( knock money off if you think the wear guides feel to close to the outside tread, scraped wheels look poor), check if it has a spare ( usually removed as it has value) .. paint work , any imperfection take £50 off for every one you find ..
don’t set your heart on that car, be cold blooded about it.

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Ah and lift the bonnet, if it’s sparkling.. worry they probably are hiding fluid leaks. Check the cross members (strange kinks, slight deformation, fresh paint etc all good indicators) feel the texture of the paint, if it’s course it is a can job.

Next drive it, check if the clutch is operating okay, gear selection is clean and precise any play .. walk away.
Steering- slow, heavy dull etc walk away
Brakes do first of all make sure the car stops!! If it feels spongey or lacks engagement.. walk away.

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
Ah and lift the bonnet, if it’s sparkling.. worry they probably are hiding fluid leaks. Check the cross members (strange kinks, slight deformation, fresh paint etc all good indicators) feel the texture of the paint, if it’s course it is a can job.

Next drive it, check if the clutch is operating okay, gear selection is clean and precise any play .. walk away.
Steering- slow, heavy dull etc walk away
Brakes do first of all make sure the car stops!! If it feels spongey or lacks engagement.. walk away.

Thanks for the info
Will check all these
It’s an automatic though

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
One of my major areas to lookout when buying are on the interior, does it look like its done 60,000 miles for example, is the drivers seat bolster showing signs that someone has got in and out 1000's of times etc, i want to see wear and tear! shiny steering wheel, worn matts (check under them too!) If it looks mint with decent miles on, i get suspicious!