Buying a new 'used' driver

tietgenkollegieter

Visit site
Hi

So I''ve been playing for a few years not and came to a situation where i would like to get myself a new driver, albeit still being at Uni, the funds are somewhat tight. So i've limited myself to a budget of 70 GBP.
Going through eBay I narrowed it down to a TaylorMade R7 and Callaway ERC Fusion (however still open to other suggestions). The irons I currently have are Callaway Fusion with graphite shafts.
I still have a rather high handicap and tend to slice the ball with the driver, therefore I would need the club to be as forgiving as possible. Distance is at the moment less important.
However I do feel more comfortable with a heavier club head (at least that is the case with these irons).

Given the two mentioned clubs, what is your take on them and which is more forgiving. And/or given the budget, what would you suggest.

Many thanks.

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
If you buy the R7 you can buy on E Bay weights of varying sizes which will help you find the right head weight. The weights will go some way towards correcting your slice too if you place the heavier weights towards the heel. A test some time ago showed that the R7 was only around 10 yards shorter than the M3.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I would go to a later model
probably very little real difference in cost

With later models eg Taylormade R9, R1, R15, RBZ

You can change the shaft, change face angles and to some extent change loft.

dronfield

Visit site
Take a look at the Ping K15 Driver, it's an anti-slice design with the weight in the heel.
The face is square and not toed in.
I would have thought this would be in budget.

Agree, the K15 range is aimed at high handicappers - i have a 5 wood and it is excellent. Slight draw bias - fixed loft so i would look out for a 12 degree one.

LincolnShep

Head Pro
Visit site
I had a Ping G5 and a Cobra (can't remember the model) when I first started. The Ping was incredibly forgiving in comparison. I've since had a G10 and G15 and have found them all easy to hit. Mind you, since that early Cobra I've never had drivers from anyone except Ping so maybe I'm biased!
If you have any golfing mates, see if you can borrow their drivers for a few shots. If you do, pay some attention to the stiffness of the shaft as well as just the make of the head. The more you try the more data you will collect and you might discover something about what suits you.

tietgenkollegieter

Visit site
Thanks to all for your comments and insights. I've ended up going for a Ping given how much love they get for their forgiveness. It is a Ping G2 11.5 loft with ping shaft (regular flex). Now, I haven't paid much attention to the shafts before so I will have to evaluate the regular flex and go fro there. Overall, once I get it and hit some tees, I'll come back with a verdict.

HamiltonGuy

Visit site
Thanks to all for your comments and insights. I've ended up going for a Ping given how much love they get for their forgiveness. It is a Ping G2 11.5 loft with ping shaft (regular flex). Now, I haven't paid much attention to the shafts before so I will have to evaluate the regular flex and go fro there. Overall, once I get it and hit some tees, I'll come back with a verdict.
Or you could try and cure the slice
£0
If you post a video of you swinging with your new driver @bobmac will no doubt very kindly give you some tips. Every time someone has posted his comments have been great. I believe he is/was a pga pro