Bunker Woes

sandylc524

Club Champion
Visit site
Need advice on bunker play.

Shot the worst game yesterday (88) - mostly due to poor iron play and VERY poor bunker play.

Hit 12 out of 14 fairways w/ distance of around 260-270y range.
Only hit 6 greens in regulation (poor iron play).

Was in 7 bunkers. Out of the 7 bunkers - I hit 6 of them clean off the sand (overshooting the green and hitting into the water at the back TWICE). The one time I didn't hit it clean - ended up being well short.

I know the general dynamics of the basic bunker shot - hit the sand first, lowest point is past the ball, complete the swing, generate speed. I am having a huge problem with hitting the sand first.

For some reason, the moment I step into the bunker, I just know I'm going to hit it clean - AND I DO. It's very frustrating.

Is there any tip you guys can share on how you ensure you hit the sand first? Thanks!

PS - I realized this morning that I was choking down on the handle - but this is a normal thing for me and I never really had this problem before.

sandylc524

Club Champion
Visit site
I guess the third key might be the most crucial one for me. Proper set up during address.

My problem is i kept hitting it clean.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
what sort of bunkers and sand?

I've found when ever i play a parkland course the sand is heavily compacted, so the bounce on a SW simply bounces off the sand and you thin it out.

I tend to play it just lihe a chip shot when faced with this shot... not very often i might add

lex!

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
If I hit one clean I know I am standing up on it.

My tip would be to think 'knees'. Keep the flex in your knees and this should help the bounce find the sand.

shortgame

Tour Rookie
Visit site
When practicing, draw a line in the sand (where the ball would be) and practice hitting the line (no ball required)

Until you can hit the sand where you mean to you'll struggle

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Weight forward, ball inside the left heel and the hands level or ideally a tad behind the ball to get the bounce working. That last one is a bit of a mind freeze but trust it and as per the video just rotate. Really made a difference and averaging 23% sand saves this season