Bunker shots

Birchy

Money List Winner
Visit site
Im struggling with my bunker shots coming out and goin too far. I put the ball forward in my stance, open the face of my sand wedge and hit behind the ball.

Anybody any ideas what the problem could be? I was thinking i could be hitting too close to the ball? Opinions of some people who clearly know more than me would be much appreciated :)

Ive got a few lessons starting next week but ive got a comp tomorrow and i want to give myself half a chance if i end up in the sand!

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
As long as your not thinning it, it sounds as if there are 2 possibilities.

As you say, you may be hitting the sand too close to the ball, or
you are too shallow and not going deep enough into the sand.
Draw 2 lines behind the ball one at 3in and the other at 5in,
Try and get the club head to enter the sand between the 2 lines and go at least 2 inches deep into the sand.
This will absorb much of the power of the swing and help the ball out high and gently onto the green

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
should you always swing aggressively and just take more sand? i ama always afraid of being too cute with it and leaving it in the bunker. i had one yesterday where i just needed to get it out and no more.i ended up putting it to the far side of the green.

Birchy

Money List Winner
Visit site
As long as your not thinning it, it sounds as if there are 2 possibilities.

As you say, you may be hitting the sand too close to the ball, or
you are too shallow and not going deep enough into the sand.
Draw 2 lines behind the ball one at 3in and the other at 5in,
Try and get the club head to enter the sand between the 2 lines and go at least 2 inches deep into the sand.
This will absorb much of the power of the swing and help the ball out high and gently onto the green

Im pretty certain i dont hit down steep enough by the sounds of it so i will give that a try.

I will test the 2 lines in the sand on the practice area as well because that sounds like a good way to improve the consistency of where im hitting the sand behind the ball. Its very doubtful that im anything like consistent in that department!

Thanks for the advice. Its much appreciated :)

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Just make sure you dont quit on it. The sand will absorb a lot of power so you can give it some welly (professional terminology)

[video=youtube;c11XYrHSEII]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c11XYrHSEII&list=UUFeb2vdftHQESr49G8ZorhQ& index=44&feature=plcp[/video]

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
will do. heading out soon hopefully to get some practice. just have to avoid meeting someone at the first ;) will try gripping down the grip a little as well. i never think of this in bunkers but its second nature around the greens. thanks

Birchy

Money List Winner
Visit site
Cheers for the advice Bob. Had 2 bunker shots on Saturday and both were much better. Improved my confidence out of bunkers as well :whoo:

Brian321

Hacker
Visit site
My problem is in wet bunkers. I try and get cute and try to just clip the ball off surface and sometims tend to take a little sand and then leave it in bunker.

Would you have any advice on how to change stroke when sand is damp or very wet?

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
My problem is in wet bunkers. I try and get cute and try to just clip the ball off surface and sometims tend to take a little sand and then leave it in bunker.

Would you have any advice on how to change stroke when sand is damp or very wet?

Great question, I dont know how to play out of bunkers with wet sand in, took me 3 to get out of one today.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
The sand is wet therefor compacted. It just needs more speed to force the clubhead into the sand.
In other words, hit the sand harder and make sure it doesnt bounce. Either wise it's thin city

DaveM

Tour Winner
Visit site
Bob I have found in wet compact sand. A PW or 9 iron then hit a bit like a chip shot works for me. Is that something you would advise or is it just a fluke?

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
I could see that working if the bunker is shallow but if it has a lip of any height it doesnt clear it (tried it today as part of the 3 shots)