Bunker help

Albanach

Head Pro
Visit site
I've no problem in getting the ball out of green side bunkers but distance control is a problem and also ball control. I only play links golf so it is mainly pot type bunkers with steep faces that I have a problem with...but the majority of the time the practice facility I use is parkland type bunkers with completely different type of sand...any good tips relating to setup, swing length etc that could help.

stokie_93

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Distance control out of bunkers is always going to be down more to the strike of the sand rather than the swing length.
If you watch Spieth's bunker play he takes a full swing but harshly decelerate's and clips through the sand.

When i'm having a tough time out the bunker I get in one and draw a line behind the ball at different stages and try and hit through using the same swing at each line, it'll give you a feel of how much sand/ball you need to take for each distance.

In regards to setup i always play it middle unless it requires more height - helps me to keep the clubhead flat.
I also open ever so slightly and come a bit steeper than a normal wedge shot - always feel like it helps me 'release' the club a bit more and get through the sand better!

Hope this helps in some way or another...

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
best bunker player i know has a really steep swing, he can get out of any pot bunker no matter how deep the face, try doing that