Bulb energy

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
My provider went tits up. British Gas picked me up. Octopus aren’t taking new customers on. I have a life, I gouged my eyes out…options?

Do exactly what Martin said on all news outlets

Nothing

The price cap will keep you protected whilst the prices rocket. ATM there aren't many deals out there.

road2ruin

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Most surprising thing about this thread is the "shock"

They announced the price cap increase what 3rd Feb?

The information was out there for ages ...

The figures were released by Martin lewis' team the same day if not the day after

Do people not keep up with things that will affect their life?!

I’m not shocked, I’ve known it was coming it’s just yesterday it was confirmed in black and white along with what it will actually personally mean for me rather than “bills could rise by X amount”. That plus rises of every other household bill means the left over funds each month are going to be severely depleted.

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I’m not shocked, I’ve known it was coming it’s just yesterday it was confirmed in black and white along with what it will actually personally mean for me rather than “bills could rise by X amount”. That plus rises of every other household bill means the left over funds each month are going to be severely depleted.

The less thought about that the better!

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
What type of customer are you. Fixed? Payg? Or standard variable
We're on dual fuel and pay by monthly DD. I presume it's a standard variable tariff.
I didn't know Bulb did any other tariffs. Pretty sure that when we signed up many years ago, one of their big claims was that they didn't do weird tariffs, and everyone got the same good deal.
But hearing about others' different standing charges clearly indicates that everyone DOESN'T get the same deal.

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
We're on dual fuel and pay by monthly DD. I presume it's a standard variable tariff.
I didn't know Bulb did any other tariffs. Pretty sure that when we signed up many years ago, one of their big claims was that they didn't do weird tariffs, and everyone got the same good deal.
But hearing about others' different standing charges clearly indicates that everyone DOESN'T get the same deal.

The standard variable is set by ofgem basically .. it's the max they can charge so they work out what the max they can charge on average usage

Fade and Die

Medal Winner
Visit site
What I'd like to know is why your SC has gone up to 41p, while mine has gone to 51p. ??

Tax receipts from fuel are staggering and they know they can’t afford to lose it but the drive to switch to a newer ‘cleaner greener economy’ presents a problem.

Electricity is taxed at 5% through VAT and no Government wants to be seen as increasing that level, it was controversial when it was levied in the early mid 90’s and has remained static ever since.

So what to do? well you can start by raising the energy cap, blame it on the War in wherever and the greedy energy companies, threaten a windfall tax to distract from what’s actually happening and never actually levy one because that will ruin your boardroom director opportunities when you’re voted out of power.

Then hey presto you’re collecting 5% of a much higher figure.

Job done?

Fade and Die

Medal Winner
Visit site
Also the hopeless Ofgem deserves a blast…
The price cap was increased to something like 54% in April 2022 for people on SVRs. And there were warnings from the regulator, that the cap would rise again come October to something like 30 or 40%

Well now it seems that estimate is way off and that it could well be hovering around the mid 60s. Which in effect means gas and electric bills will have gone up by over 100% come October – just in time for a hard cold winter!

This translates into something like £3500 for a “typical” household compared to around £1650 just a year ago.

Ofgem has also reduced the Price Cap review from 6 months to 3. This means we can expect more increases over the next 12 months at least.???

road2ruin

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Also the hopeless Ofgem deserves a blast…
The price cap was increased to something like 54% in April 2022 for people on SVRs. And there were warnings from the regulator, that the cap would rise again come October to something like 30 or 40%

Well now it seems that estimate is way off and that it could well be hovering around the mid 60s. Which in effect means gas and electric bills will have gone up by over 100% come October – just in time for a hard cold winter!

This translates into something like £3500 for a “typical” household compared to around £1650 just a year ago.

Ofgem has also reduced the Price Cap review from 6 months to 3. This means we can expect more increases over the next 12 months at least.???

Yep, the new Martin Lewis video makes for some pretty scary viewing, mid 60's rise in October (at best) and then another smaller rise 4% or so early next year. That coupled with the re-mortgaging etc over the next 12 months. It's going to be a tough few years.

Fade and Die

Medal Winner
Visit site
Yep, the new Martin Lewis video makes for some pretty scary viewing, mid 60's rise in October (at best) and then another smaller rise 4% or so early next year. That coupled with the re-mortgaging etc over the next 12 months. It's going to be a tough few years.

Yes it was reading some articles and the videos on the Money saving expert site that was the reason for my post. It’s going to be a difficult few years. Expect tabloid headlines like “Heating or eating?”

spongebob59

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Is there a link for the video ?

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site

How long before someone reports this as a political posts?

Cost of living crisis is going to get mad. We are seeing people actively not travelling due to high fuel or rail tickets. Food is going up due to multiple reasons. Atleast during the summer, people can sit outside. During winter, there is no option but heat the house.

SyR

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
On a slightly different tangent, but has anyone with Bulb and with a smart meter noticed that the last few bills have been calculated using an estimated value rather than using the smart meter value? I'm yet to get an answer why they are doing this.

road2ruin

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
On a slightly different tangent, but has anyone with Bulb and with a smart meter noticed that the last few bills have been calculated using an estimated value rather than using the smart meter value? I'm yet to get an answer why they are doing this.

I am however mine seems to be sending through accurate usage.

I did just see this on the Bulb Community page though......

Thank you for posting and welcome to community.
4.png

We’re unable to talk to your meters right now due to a connection issue with the Communications Hub (comms hub) which sits on top of your electricity meter. This hub is the part of your meter setup that sends readings to Bulb and to your in-home display. Your in-home display may be repeatedly restarting because of this.

We’ve requested for your comms hub to be remotely rebooted, which usually helps re-establish the connection.

If you live in or South of Manchester, the reboot will be complete in 2-3 weeks. If you’re North of Manchester, it will be six weeks.

Your smart meters and IHD should go back to normal after the reboot completes. If you don’t see any improvement after this time, please reply to this email and I’ll check up on the reboot request for you.

In the meantime, please send us manual readings to make sure your statements are accurate. If you’re not sure how to read your smart meter, please follow our guide 1.

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site

I just checked my July bill.. still showing 'Read' . They do project what your annual bill will be. But the actual monthly is being read..

1658408694903.png

SyR

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Thanks for checking, mine shows this for last months. I checked my smart meter is set to most frequent updates as apparently this can cause issues, but mine is. It all seems to be working as it has been, but for whatever reason they only use the estimate. Their customer service is a nightmare since the bankruptcy.
Screenshot_20220721-184136_Yahoo Mail.jpg