Builders again...

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
I know its not a builders forum! But everyone is an expert and without VK we are missing some builders questions!

Right, my conservatory is being replaced with a solid extension. Foundations of the conservatory dont quite meet the current regs, I would need to raise the external ground level and potentially raise the damp proof course height. We would have like to continue building up from the low wall the conservatory sits on. We will either way be changing the shape slightly, so will have to lay some new footings...

What would you do? Do the remedial work or smash it up and start again?

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
"Smash it up smash it up !!!!"

thats what i am leaning towards. waiting on my architect and engineer to come back with their suggestion. Its a gamble too as they need to do soil sample tests to ensure that the current footings are OK anyway. Any clay in the soil up to 80cm deep and they have to come out anyway...

MegaSteve

Tour Winner
Visit site
Not a builder in any way... But past experience, of having building work done, is to basically start from the beginning... And, if that means taking down/digging up what's there already so be it...

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
Not a builder in any way... But past experience, of having building work done, is to basically start from the beginning... And, if that means taking down/digging up what's there already so be it...

Me either steve, but in this instance it seems the better way, start from fresh rather than bodge this, bodge that and it will be ok... Think im convinced, waiting on my guys who actually know! But this way is gonna cost me more...

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
It always cheaper to start a fresh. Using what's already there and trying to incorporate what you want costs money, time and effort.

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
Most likely the old founds will not be good enough to support a single story brick extension, so let rip ad start again.

They are, just it needs the garden raising by 6cm, that in turn would need the dpc raising. All dependant on the soil type. I have decided to rip it all up and start again. Will cost me thousands more, but better I think.

Golfmmad

Tour Winner
Visit site
In my experience, its not worth skimping on things like this.

Start afresh then you'll be able to build whatever you want.

But you already know that Rooter. ;)

:thup:

jusme

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
As stated, I think you know the route to take, but having renovated multiple properties (once for a living) and based on the short information available you have no real choice, despite maybe hoping otherwise. Start from scratch and get the right foundations in. Never usually this simple, but on this occasion it is :)

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
Maybe worth while checking out conservatory conversations. My neighbour recently had his done using some kind of new light weight roof tile system.:thup:

D

Deleted member 1740

I'm in the rip it out and start again camp, it'll save you thousands in the long run.

Best of luck with the build though, we're going through having a new kitchen fitted after the suspended floor caved in with suspected dry rot.

Had to take the plaster back to the brickwork, treat the brickwork, put new wall plates in and joists, new floor and revised the walls,ceiling and replaced. Absolute nightmare.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Both extensions on front and rear of my abode, had to have the foundations tied into the exsisting raft, by means of steel rods inserted into the exsisting raft. Then the concrete poured into said reinforced hole.
If they have to put another 6" of foundation down on the exsisting raft, would that leave a step into the house from the extension. If so it would look a pigs ear.
Starting afresh is the right thing to do 👍

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
Maybe worth while checking out conservatory conversations. My neighbour recently had his done using some kind of new light weight roof tile system.:thup:

We did check that out, conservatory is 8m x 4m, 3 quotes and the cheapest was £18k. Planning to build a brand new thermally sound and modern extension for around that...

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Not seen yer plans rooter, but we had a couple of Dorma Windows put in to help get light into the room. They were a godsend.

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
We did check that out, conservatory is 8m x 4m, 3 quotes and the cheapest was £18k. Planning to build a brand new thermally sound and modern extension for around that...

:thup: good thinking .But it's strange how it can be cheaper to build a complete new building including a new roof .
Rather than just upgrade the roof, and maybe add a new wall on one side.

Last edited:

Fish

Banned
Visit site
I was involved in changing the roof & ceiling of a conservatory that had the original flimsy sheeting on it and converted it to a proper tiled roof, insulated the underneath and had lightweight aluminium supports added and then plastered it. Much more longevity and no ongoing or future maintenance costs.

1.jpg

2.jpg