Builder quotes.... all made up

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Our gardner was very clear.. we buy the raw materials and he will store in his yard. Once all the material is available he will start work. No material - No work. A bit of a banana republic out there.

Hes quite right. I told my boy who is a joiner to only price his homers on labour only such is the volatility of timber product pricing

Last edited:

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Looks like it is a perfect storm of everything that can go wrong has gone wrong - B*it, Covid, Suez Canal, pingdemic, HGV drivers etc etc.

Any view from those in the trade as to when it may calm down? I can’t start a project knowing that it will change 40% midway. I am ok to delay it by 12-18 months

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
Looks like it is a perfect storm of everything that can go wrong has gone wrong - B*it, Covid, Suez Canal, pingdemic, HGV drivers etc etc.

Any view from those in the trade as to when it may calm down? I can’t start a project knowing that it will change 40% midway. I am ok to delay it by 12-18 months

I posted in the irritations thread recently that I needed a length of 20mm Oak to create a wrap around edging for a speaker plinth. Usually a 120mm wide 2.4m length is £15.50 but it had gone up by a tenner in the space of a couple of weeks. I spoke to the guy that owns the merchant and he was saying that he can't see an end in sight at the moment as demand still keeps rising despite the prices which is only pushing the prices even higher. It's a vicious circle at the moment.

I am now looking at using much more veneer finishes even on things like stands and plinths as it's much more cost effective (even if it's not quite as nice a finish).

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
There seems to be sever cost and availability pressures on raw material. So our quote went up since it was quoted :) Maybe fixed pruc
I ignore the politics too.. but was really looking fwd to get some work done. but a 7x7m kitchen side extension now realistically starting to look at 6 digits.

We ordered new garage doors back in May. It had a lead time of 8 weeks. Speaking to them last week, they say the global steel shortage means, we wont get it before Autumn.
Builder couldn‘t give us indicative cost…other than not £50k and not £150k…?

Materials are a nightmare and he is currently quoting indicative costs but will charge clients the ‘current market price’ when it comes to it. Real problem. He has heard that the Chinese are buying up ‘everything’ then reselling to West with a big margin added.

Builder’s architect coming next to advise us on ballpark costs.

Things becoming unaffordable for many - and severe risk of house building work being in ‘negative equity‘ - then what…do I not go ahead if I am unlikely to be able to recoup the cost if selling up in 5yrs time?

Last edited by a moderator:

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I bought four wooden fence panels and a couple of 6' posts off the internet.
Looked OK so took a gamble for £170
They arrived yesterday from Staffs. and they are of very high quality, chuffed to bits with them.
Just got to fit them now :unsure: