Bucket List 2019 and Lifetime

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
So with winter well and truly upon us, looking for genuine bucket list things that people want to do in 2019 and lifetime.

Not goals or targets but golfing activities or courses that you would want to tick off realistically in 2019 and then larger achievements looking further afield.

Again, realistic things that you could potentially afford the time and money to do.

For 2019;
* Play the Old Course. Been to St. Andrews many times but never had a realistic opportunity to play with regards to time / money / lack of handicap etc. Next year I want to play it in the season (i.e. with no mats).
* Ideally take some time out and play one other top 100 (Scotland course) probably Castle Stewart. Fill a car with a couple of friends and drive up and maybe even try for 36 holes.

For Lifetime:
* I'm not really a top 100 guy, but I would like to play most of the top courses in Scotland. If only to have a view on them. However I am not particularly bothered about playing elitist clubs like Loch Lomond and Muirfield (even assuming you could get on). Maybe Muirfield will be ok. I personally would not play a Trump course as I think it is a stain on our golfing nation that he owns 2 of the most prominent venues in the country (albeit he built one), but I hope at some point in the future these fall into less chubby & grubby hands. So maybe a revised top 50 of morally accessible courses for me to play. I am going to start asking my family for something like this as a Christmas or Birthday present... i.e. a contribution towards a round at Dornoch or Carnoustie etc.

* A trip to Bandon Dunes in Oregon. It's voted the no. 1 golf destination in America so it must be right good. It has 4 quality links courses (all walk only, no buggies), a massive 100,000 sq foot putting green and 1 or 2 par 3 courses. It looks an immense way to spend a week or 10 days with 3 or 7 good golfing friends.

* Attend an away Ryder Cup.

* Attend a US Open

huds1475

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
So with winter well and truly upon us, looking for genuine bucket list things that people want to do in 2019 and lifetime.

Not goals or targets but golfing activities or courses that you would want to tick off realistically in 2019 and then larger achievements looking further afield.

Again, realistic things that you could potentially afford the time and money to do.

For 2019;
* Play the Old Course. Been to St. Andrews many times but never had a realistic opportunity to play with regards to time / money / lack of handicap etc. Next year I want to play it in the season (i.e. with no mats).
* Ideally take some time out and play one other top 100 (Scotland course) probably Castle Stewart. Fill a car with a couple of friends and drive up and maybe even try for 36 holes.

For Lifetime:
* I'm not really a top 100 guy, but I would like to play most of the top courses in Scotland. If only to have a view on them. However I am not particularly bothered about playing elitist clubs like Loch Lomond and Muirfield (even assuming you could get on). Maybe Muirfield will be ok. I personally would not play a Trump course as I think it is a stain on our golfing nation that he owns 2 of the most prominent venues in the country (albeit he built one), but I hope at some point in the future these fall into less chubby & grubby hands. So maybe a revised top 50 of morally accessible courses for me to play. I am going to start asking my family for something like this as a Christmas or Birthday present... i.e. a contribution towards a round at Dornoch or Carnoustie etc.

* A trip to Bandon Dunes in Oregon. It's voted the no. 1 golf destination in America so it must be right good. It has 4 quality links courses (all walk only, no buggies), a massive 100,000 sq foot putting green and 1 or 2 par 3 courses. It looks an immense way to spend a week or 10 days with 3 or 7 good golfing friends.

* Attend a US Open

Good list, I've got a massive pining for Bandon Dunes, just not easy to whip up enough enthusiasm from others!

Last edited:

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
One of my mates has been to Brandon several times, says it is worthy of the hype!

I've got to get to Troon and Prestwick to complete my set of playing Open Venues.... and a trip to Pebble Beach seems necessary at some point!

My advice re watching is save up, and go to the Masters...

jamielaing

Q-School Graduate
Visit site

For 2019;

For Lifetime:

* Attend a US Open

For Scottish ones- opens are your friend. Dornoch is about 160ish I think to play. Enter the open and you get 36 holes for 60 quid. Handicap depending unfortunately though. But you will find these all over the place. Look at Golf In Scotland for opportunities too. This season their series event include Dundonald and Castle Stuart. You'll get 5 rounds at good/great courses for less than playing the two of them.

With Trump, I've played both and would say that both are such great courses that morals should go out the window.

OOB

Medal Winner
Visit site
2019- Get properly involved at the club I've joined, achieve a handicap under 20 and improve my general consistency and ball striking

Lifetime, Who knows? Single Figures maybe, and to have a weekend away golfing somewhere

Big_G

Assistant Pro
Visit site
2019 - Been nominated as club Vice-Captain so think that will take up a most of my free time

Future - Was looking to play my bucket list course of Pebble Beach in 2020, but as that would be my captaincy year will have to postpone for a while

D

Deleted Member 1156

Lifetime, Who knows? Single Figures maybe, and to have a weekend away golfing somewhere
Plenty of great forum trips away, the Kent one or H4H are just 2 examples. Chance to meet loads of great people and play top courses.

Get yer name down fella (y)

Reactions: OOB

Wolf

Visit site
2019 - got 4 goals for the year..
* Get a handicap and get actively involved in club now I'm a member.

* Get to lower end of Cat 2 handicap by end of year

* try and get my 8 year old interested in cling out with dad to walk the course

* Play and stay at Le Golf national, loved being there for the RC so I want to got back and play it.

Long Term Bucket list

Play round at both TPC Sawgrass and Pebble Beach.

Attend a US Open my favourite major

Attend a Ryder Cup in the US

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
I’m gonna go through the application process for Masters tickets for the next 5 years. With the intention to tie it in with a family holiday to Florida for 2 weeks. The 5 year deadline is due to daughters ages and making the most of a Florida holiday.

If I don’t succeed by then, then I’ll be biting the bullet and paying ygt prices.

D

Deleted member 21258

Bucket list...Have two more courses left to tick off the bucket list, woodhall spa and Gleneagles. Don't really have any others I want to play (rather than be nice to play). Hopefully should be playing both in 2019 as they are booked up.

Future...nothing really, suppose just for me/wife to keep well enough to keep playing golf with the family

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
For Scottish ones- opens are your friend. Dornoch is about 160ish I think to play. Enter the open and you get 36 holes for 60 quid. Handicap depending unfortunately though. But you will find these all over the place. Look at Golf In Scotland for opportunities too. This season their series event include Dundonald and Castle Stuart. You'll get 5 rounds at good/great courses for less than playing the two of them.

With Trump, I've played both and would say that both are such great courses that morals should go out the window.

Maybe I would think that way about the Trump courses if I'd played most of the other top courses, but I guess age is on my side given he is 40 years older than me.

But I guess if everyone boycotted them then that would hasten a sell up. Albeit he probably makes enough off old American tourists to keep these going.

D

Deleted member 25172

I've got Carnoustie and Sunningdale booked in for 2019, so those 2 can then be ticked off from the bucket list.

Hopefully, there'll be some other top course trip coming up during the year through the forum that I can go to.

Playing TOC will probably be on my to do list in 2020.

Would most likely have even more plans for 2019 in terms of courses, had I have friends that could commit to something.

Achievement: To get into single figures during 2019.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
No golf course wishes for me...got enough planned for H1 2019 as it is and mustn't be greedy. We're spending all our money on three months down under touring NZ/Australia followed by one month Bali/Thai/Lao/Cam. Would like to fit in 2-3 rounds over the four months - maybe one in NZ, one in Australia and one in Thailand. Would like to visit Royal Melbourne - but won't play it (even if there was a tee time)...not for $550 AUD for 18 holes. But hopefully something more realistic on our budget will pop up.

The prospect of no golf for 4 months...then back in June to try to get down to 6.

BrianM

Head Pro
Visit site
Maybe I would think that way about the Trump courses if I'd played most of the other top courses, but I guess age is on my side given he is 40 years older than me.

But I guess if everyone boycotted them then that would hasten a sell up. Albeit he probably makes enough off old American tourists to keep these going.

What absolute garbage, if everyone boycotted them, like thats going to happen.
Do you check out the owner of every golf course you play or want to play to make sure they are up to your standards?
Can never understand why politics are taken into sport.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
What absolute garbage, if everyone boycotted them, like thats going to happen.
Do you check out the owner of every golf course you play or want to play to make sure they are up to your standards?
Can never understand why politics are taken into sport.

I may well do a general assessment of a commercially run course, but in the main I play member owned courses in Scotland, but I have a particular dislike for Trump, the way he treats people as president and as a business man even without considering his politics.

I can choose to take my custom wherever I want and apply whatever criteria I want.

Like I said, not doubting the quality of the courses but I’ve only played a handful of top courses at present and so certainly don’t feel compelled to drop the Trump empire a few hundred pounds.

I understand Turnberry has been losing quite a few million of late and so it is possible that I am not the only one with similar apprehension about giving Trump custom when we are spoiled for top courses and resorts in Scotland.