Brooks Koepka

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
In fairness to Rory, I think this is the case for a lot of guys.

I would be amazed if Rory has problems with work ethic or desire. I think he just feels the pressure when it gets to the final round.

It's a mental problem. He feels that he should be chasing double figures by now in terms of majors. Obviously his 1st two he won by 8 shots and every time he tees is up he feels if he plays as good as he can play, at most venues, no one will beat him.

I think there is an element of work ethic. Last year I think someone asked him what he was going to do to improve his wedge play as it was not as good as the top players. He basically said that my swing doesn't lend itself to good wedge play so nothing I can do about it. The commentator said that was ridiculous as DJ had worked extremely hard on his wedge play and is now one of the best where before he was poor and his swing doesn't lend itself to wedge play either

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
I think there is an element of work ethic. Last year I think someone asked him what he was going to do to improve his wedge play as it was not as good as the top players. He basically said that my swing doesn't lend itself to good wedge play so nothing I can do about it. The commentator said that was ridiculous as DJ had worked extremely hard on his wedge play and is now one of the best where before he was poor and his swing doesn't lend itself to wedge play either

Agree there is obviously an issue with wedge play. But I wouldn't draw too much from one comment in a post match interview.

Rory's results this year have been very good with wedge play and putting much improved. He is certainly trending upwards from where he was at the US Open last year. He's finished top 10 in 8 events this year, and T21 in the other (the Masters).

Ultimately these guys are judged on Majors, and if he goes through June and July without at least really getting involved in the final placings it won't matter even if he is world number 1 and has won another 2 or 3 big tour events.

Hence why Koepka's record is so impressive in that he is happy to let the tour events pass him by, then make a run at pretty much every major.

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
Brooks hasn't missed a cut at a Major since his 2nd Major (his first Open Championship in 2013). His worst result in his last 10 Majors is a T39, other than that 1 he's not had a single finish outside the top 20.

I like him. He's brutally honest, has a superb game to watch, is a proper athlete, I think he's great for the game and would be amazed if he didn't add more Majors to his record.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
As a golf fan I don’t dislike any of them...I don’t buy into the Mickleson Mr Nice Guy shtick, however!
you may be right in reality, but on the course he says and does the right things.

watched him at Castle Stuart after he won and he spend a good hour signing autographs where as some of the others thought they were to good to speak to a few kids and sign some autographs, in fact a few of them were downright rude, esp Nicolas Colsaerts

Yant

Head Pro
Visit site
I really like him. I like how he plays the game and i like his honesty off the course.

Just hope he doesn't go too far up his own hoop.

Can see him winning double digit majors.

rksquire

Head Pro
Visit site
I like him - seems like a good guy, says what he thinks (not really rocket science).

Get the impression from his coach interviews that he is very simple in his approach, not getting hung up on the numbers.

Wolf

Visit site
I like him a lot, probably even say he's one guy I'd always want to watch.

Doesn't Mince his words, doesn't faff about on the course. Plays in good spirit and attacks as much as he can.

He knows how to handle pressure and fact he says golf is not his main interest probably helps as keeps things in perspective, he's a huge baseball fan.

He just gets it done and moves on without any dramas. Hoping he wins a few more along the way.