Broken ball ruling?

HotDogAssassin

Tour Rookie
Visit site
What's that ruling on a ball that has been hit and has broken into two halves in the air? Would I be correct in saying that it would be a replay of the shot with no penalty using a replacement ball?

This happened to my playing partner today on a 90yd pitch with both halves landing close to each other on the green. Could a new ball be played from an agreed spot in the area of landing?

DCB

Visit site
Nope, Rule 5-3 covers this

'f a ball breaks into pieces as a result of a stroke, the stroke is cancelled and the player must play a ball, without penalty, as nearly as possible at the spot from which the original ball was played (see Rule 20-5). '

So he should have replayed the shot with a new ball from where the original shot was played from.

Tommo21

Tour Winner
www.royalmusselburgh.co.uk
What's that ruling on a ball that has been hit and has broken into two halves in the air? Would I be correct in saying that it would be a replay of the shot with no penalty using a replacement ball?

This happened to my playing partner today on a 90yd pitch with both halves landing close to each other on the green. Could a new ball be played from an agreed spot in the area of landing?

Thank god it split in two...........it would have went about another 50 yards if it held together.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
i would be demanding my money back if i broke a ball in two using a wedge. haha would be great to see all the same :)