Brocket Hall in trouble again ?

mikejohnchapman

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
2 really good courses! Melbourne (the first) a bit 'quirky' but in, to me, a really good way. Uses the land and contours really well (except, arguably the 1st). 5 holes involve shots to cross the Lea River, including the fabulous 18th that (hopefully) involves a 'ferry' across it. Palmerston is the 'Championship' course. Nice 'simple warm-up' 1st followed by many really tough holes, lots (almost all!) with (often severe) elevation changes. Couple of 'blind'/'trust' drives for 1st-timers. Best Driving/Warm-Up/Short-Game/Practice area bar none! I've never experienced Greens that haven't been in great nick. Frost pins are used, if required, rather than temporary greens
I agree. The Palmerston is a really good course - I couldn't believe it's so young as it was cut through mature woodland. Like many of that ilk it is suseptable to the wet. I really enjoyed playing both and it would be a great shame if they were lost.

Visit site
I’ve played both once and agree with your assessment. Marginally preferred The Palmerston but loved the novelty of the ferry.

Would be nice if the OP could come back with some inside info and expand on “unplayable” comment as it looks like I may be playing there a lot sooner than I’d hoped.

Frost pins?

unplayable - as in its really struggling with the wet weather... the Palmerston has been closed or reduced to a mixed loop for several weeks now. The Melbourne is adjusted to not play over the water on a couple of holes, to be honest its not in good condition with the regular winter flood of worm casts down on the holes that used river silt during their construction.

if you are planning on playing before it shuts i would hurry.....

Visit site
I don't believe (or at least my ex-member friend doesn't) that Auberge du Lac is entwined with the golf course! I believe, again 2nd hand, that Lord Brocket is actually keen to 'recover' control of the entire estate, so the demise of the company curently running it would be in his interest. Without the overheads of 'rent' it would quite likely be quite profitable. It would certainl;y be a real shame to see the courses simply disappear!

auberge is part of the same company and closed at the same time as the club last time it folded (rumour was that it was losing lots of money and was a major factor in the financial issues... the german owner lived on site and lunched there with expensive wines.... so it wouldn't close.

the club is held by trustee`s in liu of lord brocket.... rumour is that he would sell but isn't allowed..

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
unplayable - as in its really struggling with the wet weather... the Palmerston has been closed or reduced to a mixed loop for several weeks now. The Melbourne is adjusted to not play over the water on a couple of holes, to be honest its not in good condition with the regular winter flood of worm casts down on the holes that used river silt during their construction.

if you are planning on playing before it shuts i would hurry.....
One of the guys I played with today had a 'weekend break' at Brockett/Auberge du Lac for his wife's birthday very recently. According to him it seemed in pretty good nick, though that 'view' was limited to holes near their accomodation. From memory, Melbourne normally eliminates the river crossing in winter (swapping greens for 4th and 15th I think). Doesn't seem to have reduced staffing levels either. I also remember a couple/few years ago, the river overflowed onto Practice area, turning it into a lake and unusable for practice.

Seems possible that there's a lot of 'misinformation' being generated!

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Local rag reporting that they went into administration (with debts of £6m+) and been bought out again in the last few days and claiming business as usual

Were owned by Brocket Hall (UK) Ltd which went into administration, now owned by a recently set up Brocket Hall (Holdings) Ltd

Appears to be owned by a chinese man, albeit a different one to the previous incarnation. Expect the biggest loser in the process is HRMC!

https://www.whtimes.co.uk/news/brocket-hall-goes-bust-and-sold-again-1-6497399

Visit site
The new director is the former finance manager.... he obvs did a really good job. Can’t see how Hmrc let them get away with that

alledgidly, some more dirty dealings are afoot involving money confiscated at the airport...

‘’down to 6 green keepers now as no one will work for the current head Gc....

as always its the small buisinesss suppliers that lose out...