Brocket Hall in trouble again ?

Visit site
I see that there is a petition to wind up Brocket Hall ltd being held at the High Court of Justice in London on the 8th Jan.

The club has been struggling to get suppliers onboard for a while and membership has been dwindling, the course is currently unplayable and they have made a few members of staff redundant the week before Xmas.... looks like the writing is on the wall again.

Troymcclure

Medal Winner
Visit site
Anyone have experience of this kind of thing? Is it possible that the Golf Course would close for business on, or soon after this date?

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Ive never played it, but the estate was a reg family walk on a Sunday. from what i remember is was mostly open Cattle grazing land apart from the odd bit, what was the course like?

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Ive never played it, but the estate was a reg family walk on a Sunday. from what i remember is was mostly open Cattle grazing land apart from the odd bit, what was the course like?
2 really good courses! Melbourne (the first) a bit 'quirky' but in, to me, a really good way. Uses the land and contours really well (except, arguably the 1st). 5 holes involve shots to cross the Lea River, including the fabulous 18th that (hopefully) involves a 'ferry' across it. Palmerston is the 'Championship' course. Nice 'simple warm-up' 1st followed by many really tough holes, lots (almost all!) with (often severe) elevation changes. Couple of 'blind'/'trust' drives for 1st-timers. Best Driving/Warm-Up/Short-Game/Practice area bar none! I've never experienced Greens that haven't been in great nick. Frost pins are used, if required, rather than temporary greens

Troymcclure

Medal Winner
Visit site
I’ve played both once and agree with your assessment. Marginally preferred The Palmerston but loved the novelty of the ferry.

Would be nice if the OP could come back with some inside info and expand on “unplayable” comment as it looks like I may be playing there a lot sooner than I’d hoped.

Frost pins?

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I’ve played both once and agree with your assessment. Marginally preferred The Palmerston but loved the novelty of the ferry.

Would be nice if the OP could come back with some inside info and expand on “unplayable” comment as it looks like I may be playing there a lot sooner than I’d hoped.

Frost pins?

Im not the op but will answer where I can as been talking to a member today.

Re the unplayable I expect he means that Palmerston has been closed for a few weeks, it often is in winter when it gets wet to protect it, Melbourne is fully open and in decent condition

Frost pins I assume he means where they cut a hole on the very very front edge of the green

Expectation is it a case of when not if, at some point soon the management will have to communicate with the members, if i hear anything will post

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
2 really good courses! Melbourne (the first) a bit 'quirky' but in, to me, a really good way. Uses the land and contours really well (except, arguably the 1st). 5 holes involve shots to cross the Lea River, including the fabulous 18th that (hopefully) involves a 'ferry' across it. Palmerston is the 'Championship' course. Nice 'simple warm-up' 1st followed by many really tough holes, lots (almost all!) with (often severe) elevation changes. Couple of 'blind'/'trust' drives for 1st-timers. Best Driving/Warm-Up/Short-Game/Practice area bar none! I've never experienced Greens that haven't been in great nick. Frost pins are used, if required, rather than temporary greens

Pretty fair assessment, most tend to prefer the Palmerston, have always been the opposite and preferred the more variety of the Melbourne, nothing better than knocking it on the last in 2 and talking the bridge across to putt for eagle :)

Been fortunate to play both many many times with my dad (and his wife), have a lot of fond memories (including Rick joining us for the pro am there once!) Be a shame to see it happen again and interesting to see what happens next. Really should be able to make it as a successful going concern but the rent, upkeep of the estate and the hall, plus Auberge du Lac and the 2 courses seems to make it tough as a total package for it to be run successfully

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Frost pins?
Rather than use temporary greens, the pins are placed only a couple of yards from the front of the green. That way, the greens are 'real', but there's little/minimal damage to the green. I definitely prefer this approach, though it's probably only 'workable' for 'lightly used' courses such as Brocket.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
...Be a shame to see it happen again and interesting to see what happens next. Really should be able to make it as a successful going concern but the rent, upkeep of the estate and the hall, plus Auberge du Lac and the 2 courses seems to make it tough as a total package for it to be run successfully
I don't believe (or at least my ex-member friend doesn't) that Auberge du Lac is entwined with the golf course! I believe, again 2nd hand, that Lord Brocket is actually keen to 'recover' control of the entire estate, so the demise of the company curently running it would be in his interest. Without the overheads of 'rent' it would quite likely be quite profitable. It would certainl;y be a real shame to see the courses simply disappear!

D

Deleted member 15344

When we played it last year twice it was a ghost time both times on both courses - it’s a shame as it’s two nice courses but also a shame there is no real club house.

D

Deleted member 17920

When we played it last year twice it was a ghost time both times on both courses - it’s a shame as it’s two nice courses but also a shame there is no real club house.
Agree with this.

Quite enjoyed the Palmerston course. It was a lot better than I expected.

Just wonder if they have priced themselves out of the market. Would be a real shame for it to go to housing etc.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I don't believe (or at least my ex-member friend doesn't) that Auberge du Lac is entwined with the golf course! I believe, again 2nd hand, that Lord Brocket is actually keen to 'recover' control of the entire estate, so the demise of the company curently running it would be in his interest. Without the overheads of 'rent' it would quite likely be quite profitable. It would certainl;y be a real shame to see the courses simply disappear!

Not sure about Auberge, thought it was part of but may not be, gone downhill from what it used to be thats for sure

Think Lord Brocket would miss what he charges in rent and then have to pay for all the upkeep of the hall and the grounds himself, not sure hes got enough cars buried has he ;) Has claimed to want to for a while without ever actually seeming to show any intent when hes had the potential opportunity to do so

As you say would be a real shame to see the courses disappear and dont think thats in anyones interests, but will need to be some give and take from several parties for it not to happen now youd think

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Agree with this.

Quite enjoyed the Palmerston course. It was a lot better than I expected.

Just wonder if they have priced themselves out of the market. Would be a real shame for it to go to housing etc.

Cant see anyone getting planning for houses there, more likely it would just return in the main to part of the estate to woodland and fields if no golf courses

The pricing is to a large part a derivative of the ongoing costs (rent, the estate and the hall) which are way more than most golf clubs could even think of bearing. Think it would be easy to make a successful golf club with the 2 courses and practise areas IF you could detach them from the estate/hall etc at a slightly lower price point than currently with close to a 1000 members (which is more than double where they must be currently), it gets harder when you assess it as a whole