British Open 2007

barny

Visit site
Hi,
I'm new to this forum. I trust this is the correct place to post a question.
Having got some tickets for the final day at Carnoustie for the Open in July I have come up against problem that all B&B's and Hotels anywhere within 1hr travel distance want a 5 night booking. I did a homestay (in a private house) at Hoylake last year - within a few minutes of the course - no problem. I could't find anything on homesatys around Carnoustie. Any accommodation booking tips? I've tried the main tourist sites and phoned the touriste office - without joy.

ocha84

Visit site
hey I'm in the same problem too. Maybe if we could get like 6 of us together and rent a youth hostel in dundee which is not too far from carnoustie.

barny

Visit site
Thanks for the comments. Yes, I've tried the official site phone numbers. Accommodation is available quite close to carnoustie - but nobody will take bookings for less than 5 nights. the rates obviously astronomical. My current strategy, unless anyone has a better suggestion, is to wait until B&B owners start having to off-load unbooked capacity to one nighters like me. I like the youth hostel idea - but I'm probably too old to qualify.

B

birdieman

Why not hire a campervan, park in a layby up in the hills behind Dundee or offer a farmer £20 to park in his field, 20 minute drive into the golf from there. Get a wash in the sea - it'll be a balmy 14 degrees by July! Got to be cheaper than staying in a local b&b, guesthouse, private let etc.

grahamL

Visit site
Hi I am also new to the site.
Have you yhought about hiring a static caravan?
Most sleep 6 and are available from private owners.
Local sites include Red Lion and Elliot in Arbroath

grahamL

Visit site
Not such a silly idea.
Have you checked out the local caravan parks in Arbroath eg Red Lion, Elliot . Both have hire vans available from private owners and are about 5 miles from the course. Also what about e-bay ?