Britain's best views

stefanovic

Medal Winner
Visit site
A few suggestions here: Britain's favourite view | Travel | The Guardian

I'll add a few more.

360 degree summit view from Scafell Pike.
Looking over to the Isle of Arran from Kintyre.
Cape Wrath.
Land's End.
The Shard.
Oxford colleges - University and Merton down a narrow cobbled street.
View over Ludlow looking east above the river which takes in the town and castle with Clee Hill in the background.

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
Got a decent view from the top of the Croc drop ride at Chessington! City, canary wharf. Include any westbound landings into LHR.

Anywhere on the top of a peak in the lake district
White Cliffs of Dover
One I expect no one else on here will have, from Bury lane car park on the Ridgeway at West Ilsley, grew up within a 2 miles of it, you can almost see oxford and it just feels like home to me. I know every track and path round there for miles, love the place!

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
It’s all very subjective, but Blackpool sea front is not one of the best views in Lancashire never mind the UK.

stefanovic

Medal Winner
Visit site
Best view over Oxford seems to be from the hills to the south west, where you can see just about all the dreaming spires.
Best view over Cambridge seems to be from the top of a building.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
So massively subjective. The two that came to my mind straight away, living in the NE of England, both made the list, Bamburgh Castle and the bridges on the Tyne viewed from the Quayside. I don't get bored seeing either of those over and over.

After that, stand on the Kings course at Gleneagles, there are some pretty special views there.

I think I would have to agree with Ranulph Fiennes as well in regards to Bath. Not just The Crescent, most of the city, but that is pretty special.

stefanovic

Medal Winner
Visit site
Anywhere on the top of a peak in the lake district

The modest height of Orrest Head near to the town of Windermere provides " On a clear day, the ratio of views to effort put in probably cannot be beaten." (Alfred Wainwright's first experience of the views of the LD).
And it only takes about half an hour to walk up from the road.

Fade and Die

Medal Winner
Visit site
Should get a good one from the top of Skiddaw tomorrow - assuming I can still see!

40 mile cycle ride, 3 mile canoe paddle and 11 miles up and down Skiddaw!

Good luck with that, forecast is not good though but you get your own micro climate up there so fingers crossed. Back of Skiddaw is one of my favourites, early when the light is good. Always quiet.

Whereditgo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Good luck with that, forecast is not good though but you get your own micro climate up there so fingers crossed. Back of Skiddaw is one of my favourites, early when the light is good. Always quiet.

To be fair I was more than happy to see no rain and virtually no wind forecast - if it's clear at the top then that's a bonus (y)

Fade and Die

Medal Winner
Visit site
To be fair I was more than happy to see no rain and virtually no wind forecast - if it's clear at the top then that's a bonus (y)
Fingers crossed for you, I always think the forecasts are “best guesses” up there…. I’ve been at my MILs at Bothel and it’s rained all day, a few miles away in Prospect the SIL has had bright sunshine all day!

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
A few suggestions here: Britain's favourite view | Travel | The Guardian

I'll add a few more.

360 degree summit view from Scafell Pike.
Looking over to the Isle of Arran from Kintyre.
Cape Wrath.
Land's End.
The Shard.
Oxford colleges - University and Merton down a narrow cobbled street.
View over Ludlow looking east above the river which takes in the town and castle with Clee Hill in the background.

I was out at Cape Wrath this summer the view once there is good but nothing spectacular it’s only accessed by small boat which is only a ten minute trip then 50 mins in a mini bus, the tide was out coming back and the view of the expanse of sand and sea was as good a view as I’ve seen anywhere. It was truly spectacular.