Britain is overweight.

stefanovic

Medal Winner
Visit site
64% of people now considered to be overweight or obese.
PM is obsessed with the problem and blames it for the severity of his Covid infection.
A friend reported to me that she was concerned. I asked her to check her BMI and it came back as 32 (obese).
Strange thing about this I didn't notice she had a problem, a bit like fat being the new thin.

So what do we know?
Food is too easily available. We don't have to go far to find plenty of it.
Commercial diets don't work. As soon as you come off them the weight returns.
Similarly, exercise does not take weight off you for long.
If calories in are greater than calories out, you put on weight, and vice versa.

I was brought up austerity Britain when hardly anyone was overweight.
One or two main meals a week was normal.
The rest was pretty unspeakable!

Beedee

Assistant Pro
Visit site
BMI is a questionable way of measuring a person's obesity.
It's not that bad. For every body builder / international rugby player / olympian with a "high" BMI there are many many hundreds of fat people. And I say this as someone whose BMI proves that I'm far far too short.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
It's not that bad. For every body builder / international rugby player / olympian with a "high" BMI there are many many hundreds of fat people. And I say this as someone whose BMI proves that I'm far far too short.
I'm not convinced it's possible to have a one fits all scale when you consider the different body makeup of humans. I'm 6ft tall and my ideal BMI puts me at around 11 stone, I'm around 14 stone and in no way an Olympian, international rugby player or body builder, I'm also not obese or even what could be considered overweight, if I was 11 stone I'd look emaciated . I understand your point but for me BMI is not good.

D

Deleted member 1147

Balance is what’s important, when it comes to food.
Eat some of everything and you will be fine.

Also, booze is more of an issue, with a lot of folk, than food.

D

Deleted member 1147

After being diagnosed with diabetes late July I dropped alcohol completely for 3 months. I also kept an eye on portion sizes. Now 2 stone lighter.
Good work Brian ?
I know so many people who diet and worry about fat, carb etc input. But love a night on the beer, and don’t associate it with weight gain.
It’s incredible that they don’t put two and two together.
I call it the hop soup diet.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
Ignorance and/or a lack of the necessary strength of will to resist temptation are the cause.
Obesity is the symptom.

Sometimes there are more complications than this, however. Mental health can be a much larger issue.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
the first sentence of the first post sums it up.
Quote,
64% of people now considered to be overweight or obese.
According to what?
The fittest guy I new was considered overweight according to BMI charts, yet his resting heart rate was under 50, he didn't smoke or drink, could ride a mountain bike at full effort for hours yet the "charts" said he was overweight.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I am well into old age. Anyone over 60 looking back to their youth , and the weight of their peers and parents - who now see the people of today , is under no illusion that this country is overweight.
You only have to view cine footage of folks going about their business in towns and cities shot in the 50s and 60s, even the 70s, to see the change.