Britain is overweight.

Newtonuti

Visit site
Michael Mosley on TV last night informing us of the best and worst places to get a good night's sleep.
Best is Guernsey, worst is Kilmarnock. Now where are you going to go for your holidays?
Seriously, there does appear to be a link between sleeping and obesity.
The Link Between Obesity and Sleep Deprivation | Sleep Foundation

A few decades ago we were being told that sleep was wasteful and lazy. You were even a cheat.
Then we had books like the Sleep Revolution which informed us that sleep was very useful for our physical and mental health.
The Sleep Revolution: Transforming Your Life, One Night at a Time | HuffPost Life

This is the reason why quite a few shift workers end up obese and with diabetes. I'm luckily naturally built like a rake.

stefanovic

Medal Winner
Visit site
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-61021823
Reminds me of When I worked at Thoresby. There was a guy there called “ Fat Al”. He was small and fat. They measured him one day and he was rounder than he was taller.

This latest advice, which isn't new, is going to hit the food industry if people do take any notice.
But when do they ever take any notice?

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-61021823

Reminds me of When I worked at Thoresby. There was a guy there called “ Fat Al”. He was small and fat. They measured him one day and he was rounder than he was taller.

They key here is how/where to measure! Cut and past:

Explain to people that to measure their waist, they should find the bottom of their ribs and the top of their hips, wrap a tape measure around the waist midway between these points and breathe out naturally before taking the measurement," say the guidelines on identifying people who are overweight and obese.

I'm taller than I need to be it seems!

stefanovic

Medal Winner
Visit site
Britain is on its way to becoming the 2nd most obese nation in the West, after the USA of course.
But we still lag behind Malta and Turkey a bit.
Come on, I know we can do it.
Sorry, only kidding.
Recent rise is put down to the pandemic by Leicester University.

Britain on course to become fattest country in Europe - Daily Record

To think it all started by our ancestors having barbecues on the African plains, iniviting guests and making eating a social activity.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Britain is on its way to becoming the 2nd most obese nation in the West, after the USA of course.
But we still lag behind Malta and Turkey a bit.
Come on, I know we can do it.
Sorry, only kidding.
Recent rise is put down to the pandemic by Leicester University
Britain on course to become fattest country in Europe - Daily Record

To think it all started by our ancestors having barbecues on the African plains, iniviting guests and making eating a social activity.
Got some reliable stats? And a reference to a proper analysis for the 'Leicester University' assertion - presumably an association with the likes of delivered (higher fat content) food?
Eating was a social activity (worldwide) far before barbecues on African plains. I presume you actually mean 'early humans cooking'!
Your post is simply unreliable - as is so often the case!:mad:

Last edited:

stefanovic

Medal Winner
Visit site
Got some reliable stats? And a reference to a proper analysis for the 'Leicester University' assertion - presumably an association with the likes of delivered (higher fat content) food?
Anyting by Tom Yates at Leics U.
Such as:
Obesity, walking pace and risk of severe COVID-19 and mortality: analysis of UK Biobank (nature.com)
Even worse when you don't need to walk to fetch food any more. Just get it deliverood.
Sooner or later they'll find a way to quantum tunnel through your front door to get it straight to you on your couch.

Eating was a social activity (worldwide) far before barbecues on African plains.
I presume you actually mean 'early humans cooking'
Exactly what I meant, but not worldwide. Where do you think humans first started to evolve?

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Recent rise is put down to the pandemic by Leicester University.
Your post is simply unreliable - as is so often the case!:mad:

As usual, you are posting absolute drivel!
That Tom Yates article was about the effects of obesity on Covid severity, not the other way around that you asserted (the bold bit above)!

stefanovic

Medal Winner
Visit site
I stated that the recent rise in obesity has been put down to the pandemic, then you try to wriggle out of it.
What we have learned so far is that the situation can only get worse even if food prices go up. People will just fill up with junk.
Global obesity is likely to rise to 1 billion by 2030.

Then a right wing politician is saying that the poor don't know how to cook and if they did they can cook a meal for 30 pence.
So when politicians start to blame the poor, I'm going to suggest that they put their own house in order first.
As 2/3rds of them are overweight or obese, no wonder they'd like to scrap the BMI calculator.

Obesity Statistics - House of Commons Library (parliament.uk)