Brexit - The negotiations.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I think you are arguing for a ship that has long sailed, a cause lost. The one thing most businesses want is certainty, not another long drawn out process. Trying to delay leaving just because it suits your view is simply a rehash of all of the arguments of the past 3-4 years. I've no enthusiasm for that, I doubt many others want to go there either.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
I think you are arguing for a ship that has long sailed, a cause lost. The one thing most businesses want is certainty, not another long drawn out process. Trying to delay leaving just because it suits your view is simply a rehash of all of the arguments of the past 3-4 years. I've no enthusiasm for that, I doubt many others want to go there either.

I totally agree. The Tories have a massive majority, and an appetite for it. Add that the EU has run up a massive debt, on top of the Quantative Easing debt," for which there's currently only 4 EU countries with anything like an economy that could help service the debt whilst still contributing.

As an aside, a significant number of Expats are moving to Portugal to open their businesses in a sympathetic country, and there's rumours suggesting that people move their money out of Spain for the forceable future. And Italy are making noises. Is being in the EU the right place to be going forward?

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I totally agree. The Tories have a massive majority, and an appetite for it. Add that the EU has run up a massive debt, on top of the Quantative Easing debt," for which there's currently only 4 EU countries with anything like an economy that could help service the debt whilst still contributing.

As an aside, a significant number of Expats are moving to Portugal to open their businesses in a sympathetic country, and there's rumours suggesting that people move their money out of Spain for the forceable future. And Italy are making noises. Is being in the EU the right place to be going forward?
Has Spain become hostile to Brits or is it just in such a bad place economically?

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Has Spain become hostile to Brits or is it just in such a bad place economically?

I think I’ve experienced it a couple of times but on the whole the Spanish are very friendly. Their BNP does have 60 seats in Parliament.
At present it’s more to do with Portugal opening up to tourism sooner, taxation being a lot better.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I think I’ve experienced it a couple of times but on the whole the Spanish are very friendly. Their BNP does have 60 seats in Parliament.
At present it’s more to do with Portugal opening up to tourism sooner, taxation being a lot better.
Stay in Spain Bri, much nicer language ?

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
I love Portugese. It's like a Russian version of Italian.

The first time I heard it I thought the people were Russian. Now I can almost follow it. Its not too dissimilar to Spanish.

Ha ha. It just sounds harsh to me. Spanish just flows.

Depends whereabouts in Spain they're from. Northern Spain is very clipped and sharp. Down here its lazy, even leaving words out of sentences. It can make it difficult to follow. And then there's the speed! I listened to the President this evening... well, I listened but only picked up about half.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
The first time I heard it I thought the people were Russian. Now I can almost follow it. Its not too dissimilar to Spanish.

Depends whereabouts in Spain they're from. Northern Spain is very clipped and sharp. Down here its lazy, even leaving words out of sentences. It can make it difficult to follow. And then there's the speed! I listened to the President this evening... well, I listened but only picked up about half.
Spanish and Italian is spoken at 90mph. Well done to anyone who can pick it all up, 50% sounds good enough to me. I'm quite happy just sitting back and hearing it wash over me. I find them very listenable (I may have made that word up ?)

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Spanish and Italian is spoken at 90mph. Well done to anyone who can pick it all up, 50% sounds good enough to me. I'm quite happy just sitting back and hearing it wash over me. I find them very listenable (I may have made that word up ?)

Italian is easy. I occasionally lapse into it by mistake. German is fairly easy too, although I'm rusty.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Italian is easy. I occasionally lapse into it by mistake. German is fairly easy too, although I'm rusty.
I learned French at school and although not using it much I do impress myself how much comes back when I'm in France.

I never learned German at School but worked there for very many protracted periods and found it much easier to pick up as so much is similar to English which has its roots as a Germanic language.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Sorry you are mistaken in drawing the conclusion that you have. It doesn‘t make any difference to me and I have nothing to gain from drawing out the process. I simply ask If it is sensible to make a decision in July for an end December completion of transition - or perhaps better to delay a decision until, say, October and leave on 31st March.

bluewolf

Money List Winner
Visit site
He does not mention that if the UK has not completely left by 31st Dec. we could also be expected to share in the EU's liability for its Convid19 rescue debt.

Could we? Really? I’m not 100% sure, but I’d be surprised if we didn’t have to agree to that.......

Wait.... I mean...... Get a professional fitting.... Oh damn! Not even one day!

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Sorry you are mistaken in drawing the conclusion that you have. It doesn‘t make any difference to me and I have nothing to gain from drawing out the process. I simply ask If it is sensible to make a decision in July for an end December completion of transition - or perhaps better to delay a decision until, say, October and leave on 31st March.
I drew the conclusion based on what you wrote. It may not make a difference to you but you keep flogging that horse 'on behalf of others and so you will get replies accordingly.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I drew the conclusion based on what you wrote. It may not make a difference to you but you keep flogging that horse 'on behalf of others and so you will get replies accordingly.
Well I might draw the conclusion from what you post that you don’t really care if businesses really struggle to prepare for a No Deal exit end of dec if that’s what our gov calls in July. But I might be mistaken.

Do we not worry about the impact a second wave of the virus hitting us in October might have on business ability to prepare? If I were a government risk manager I’d be looking to advise ministers on mitigating the risk to business of such a second wave...

drdel

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Well I might draw the conclusion from what you post that you don’t really care if businesses really struggle to prepare for a No Deal exit end of dec if that’s what our gov calls in July. But I might be mistaken.

Do we not worry about the impact a second wave of the virus hitting us in October might have on business ability to prepare? If I were a government risk manager I’d be looking to advise ministers on mitigating the risk to business of such a second wave...

Thread theme is the negotiations. The UK law has been past.

Perhaps we might discuss the state of the EU and Barniers constant failure to treat the UK with the same respect as Canada etc. You have previously stated you accept th e result but keep harping back

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site

If the predictions are correct, there's 2 years worth of 4-6 waves of virus due. Bearing in mind there may, as you suggest, be less businesses around in a year's time where do you suggest the UK govt gets the money from to pay all the extra EU payments that will fall due?

I favour looking at a short extension but I'm very mindful of the new EU budget due on Jan 1st, the exit payments that are due now(we've already left), and the money the EU will be chasing to support the extra debt it has taken on board due to this crisis.

Gut feel; I don't know the right answer on whether or not the Dec 31st deadline should be cast in stone. But here's a thought that might be relevant; I wonder how many Civil Servants have been taken off their day job because of Covid19, or are there more Civil Servants available for the negotiations?

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
If the predictions are correct, there's 2 years worth of 4-6 waves of virus due. Bearing in mind there may, as you suggest, be less businesses around in a year's time where do you suggest the UK govt gets the money from to pay all the extra EU payments that will fall due?

I favour looking at a short extension but I'm very mindful of the new EU budget due on Jan 1st, the exit payments that are due now(we've already left), and the money the EU will be chasing to support the extra debt it has taken on board due to this crisis.

Gut feel; I don't know the right answer on whether or not the Dec 31st deadline should be cast in stone. But here's a thought that might be relevant; I wonder how many Civil Servants have been taken off their day job because of Covid19, or are there more Civil Servants available for the negotiations?
Just a thought, if there is a sharing of Covid costs in the EU we may be a net recipient.

Status
Not open for further replies.