Breaking news on healthcare worker

• Thread starter Deleted member 18121
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 16999

And what is this deterrent? It's not capital punishment as has been proven in the USA.
You tell us, the present system doesn’t deter, the death penalty wouldn’t deter.

Just continue to allow these hideous crimes to take place and bury our head in the sand?

Kellfire

Blackballed
Visit site
You tell us, the present system doesn’t deter, the death penalty wouldn’t deter.

Just continue to allow these hideous crimes to take place and bury our head in the sand?

I don't have to tell you because I'm not the one advocating a change in policy.

Crime can NEVER be prevented, it's part of human nature. You can't completely deter people from doing things they often do out of desperation or lack of rational thinking.

Don Barzini

Assistant Pro
Visit site
But and it’s a big but, if it was re-introduced maybe, just maybe, it would be done with legislation that prevented copying everything wrong with the US System and limit the appeals and time on death row.

Yeah, I'll start believing in the Tooth Fairy and the Easter Bunny before I believe that might happen!

D

Deleted member 16999

I don't have to tell you because I'm not the one advocating a change in policy.

Crime can NEVER be prevented, it's part of human nature. You can't completely deter people from doing things they often do out of desperation or lack of rational thinking.

No problem, we’ll just continue to sit on the fence and do nothing then.

Don Barzini

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Pointless having any debate then. :thup:

Indeed. It's pointless having a debate because it's pointless to believe the reality would mean anything other than a similar scenario to the one I described.

Unless you think that such a scenario is a desirable or acceptable one. Then we can debate it.

D

Deleted member 16999

Indeed. It's pointless having a debate because it's pointless to believe the reality would mean anything other than a similar scenario to the one I described.

Unless you think that such a scenario is a desirable or acceptable one. Then we can debate it.
Simply dismissing someone else’s opinion whilst telling that person your opinion is correct isn’t a debate.
You crack with your life and I’ll go and check the tooth fairy and easter bunny have had their breakfast. :thup:

Don Barzini

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Simply dismissing someone else’s opinion whilst telling that person your opinion is correct isn’t a debate.
You crack with your life and I’ll go and check the tooth fairy and easter bunny have had their breakfast. :thup:

Hold on a sec there. You said (and I quote)...

"But and it’s a big but, if it was re-introduced maybe, just maybe, it would be done with legislation that prevented copying everything wrong with the US System and limit the appeals and time on death row."

Now maybe I've misunderstood, but the way you've phrased that it sounded to me like you don't believe it would happen either. So I haven't dismissed your opinion - I actually thought I was agreeing with it.

D

Deleted member 1147

Ignoring the death penalty aspect of it my main thought at the moment is that there is a young woman who's name, photo, house etc are all over the national press and she hasn't been found guilty yet, she hasn't even gone to court yet.
Imagine if she is innocent (or just not proven guilty - her life will never be the same again.
I feel there should be more privacy up until charges have been brought and the CPS is virtually certain of guilt.

D

Deleted member 16999

Hold on a sec there. You said (and I quote)...

"But and it’s a big but, if it was re-introduced maybe, just maybe, it would be done with legislation that prevented copying everything wrong with the US System and limit the appeals and time on death row."

Now maybe I've misunderstood, but the way you've phrased that it sounded to me like you don't believe it would happen either. So I haven't dismissed your opinion - I actually thought I was agreeing with it.
And I thought it was patronizing, ie, “indeed”, but it will still be the similar scenario you believe so debate would pointless.

Don Barzini

Assistant Pro
Visit site
And I thought it was patronizing, ie, “indeed”, but it will still be the similar scenario you believe so debate would pointless.

OK, so to clarify then, since I'm clearly unsure of your position....

What do you imagine it would be like if we had the death penalty in the UK? What sort of scenario can you imagine happening if someone was sentenced to the death penalty today?

D

Deleted member 16999

OK, so to clarify then, since I'm clearly unsure of your position....

What do you imagine it would be like if we had the death penalty in the UK? What sort of scenario can you imagine happening if someone was sentenced to the death penalty today?
In my dream world the judge has the final say as one of his options, not every case would carry the death sentence.
There would be a limit to appeals and a time scale.
Using the Lee Rigby case, I personally can’t see any case for appeal, a judge may agree and pass the death penalty, or, the judge sees a legal problem with the case and passes a whole life sentence.
Nobody is saying the death penalty would stop all murders, might stop 1% or 99%, nobody knows, but for certain cases, imo, Terrorists or Child Killers it should be an option on the table.

D

Deleted member 16999

Or maybe there is something between killing people and sitting on the fence and doing nothing?

Or maybe this IS as good as we'll ever get it?
But like you said, you don’t have an answer or if your last line is correct, best we get a cushion for that fence, we’re going to be here a long time.

Maybe we have to be extreme to get control before we move forward?

D

Deleted member 18121

Is it possible that the threat of the death penalty could work in British society? Ok it doesnt seem to in America but with their gun and self protection ideology their outlook on life is vastly different to ours.

I'm from a place called Tonbridge in Kent, we still have a hangmans noose up outside one of our pubs where public hangings used to take place. That part of the high street is widened to allow for people to gather to watch such events. Would the threat of a public hanging stop you from committing a crime?

D

Deleted member 15344

Is it possible that the threat of the death penalty could work in British society? Ok it doesnt seem to in America but with their gun and self protection ideology their outlook on life is vastly different to ours.

I'm from a place called Tonbridge in Kent, we still have a hangmans noose up outside one of our pubs where public hangings used to take place. That part of the high street is widened to allow for people to gather to watch such events. Would the threat of a public hanging stop you from committing a crime?

When Britain had the death penalty did it stop people committing heinous crimes - Nope not at all , public hangings and people still committed crimes

The death penalty won’t act as a deterrent, for some people nothing will act as a deterrent- you aren’t going to stop some people committing crime - it’s part of society these days and we have the courts and punishments in place to deal with those that commit crime - we are a civilised country - people are request to act accordingly - legalised killing someone for committing a crime has no place in a civil country just like illegal killing someone hasn’t

We can’t and never will stop people from committing crime - it’s impossible , some of the levels of prison sentences and lengths should be adjusted accordingly for the crime committed

But thankfully we will never drop to the levels of hanging someone in public or indeed any form of capital punishment

D

Deleted member 16999

It’s alright people saying death sentences don’t work because we still had crime when we did have it.

Were’s the evidence to prove that crimes went down when we stopped, because since its abolishment crime has risen and maybe if we’d of kept it or had it, it may stop some and some is better than none.

D

Deleted member 18121

It’s alright people saying death sentences don’t work because we still had crime when we did have it.

Were’s the evidence to prove that crimes went down when we stopped, because since its abolishment crime has risen and maybe if we’d of kept it or had it, it may stop some and some is better than none.

The world is a different place now compared to when capital punishment was abolished, maybe in this day and age it might be a deterrent for some people.....honestly I dont think we'll ever know, but knowing the biggest repercussion of all hangs over you if you do something abhorrent has (in my eyes) got to have some sort of effect on society.

D

Deleted member 16999

The world is a different place now compared to when capital punishment was abolished, maybe in this day and age it might be a deterrent for some people.....honestly I dont think we'll ever know, but knowing the biggest repercussion of all hangs over you if you do something abhorrent has (in my eyes) got to have some sort of effect on society.
Makes sense to me.