Brand snobbery, gear tart etc.

haplesshacker

Money List Winner
mid-life-crisis-man.blogspot.co.uk
As golfers we're almost certainly a bit brand snobby when it comes to our golf gear. However, does that also mean that we're a bit of a brand snob when it comes to other aspects of our lives?

What else do you have a brand snobbery about?

I've included a link below for my main write up regarding this, as I can't be bothered to write it (alright, copy / paste!). :) Blog has no pop-ups, advertising etc.

http://mid-life-crisis-man.blogspot.co.uk/?view=magazine

ps. I've checked the rules and as I'm not selling anything, promoting a purchase of something, or otherwise trying to flog anything. I think the link is okay??? I'm sure one of the mods will be in touch!?

Coatsy79

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I do to a point, I like certain brands such as joules, fat face etc as I like the products, they seem to last well and fit well

But beyond that not so much, can't understand someone paying nearly £100 for a Hugo Boss or Ralph Lauren polo that looks like any polo you can buy anywhere

Also struggle with brands like north face where a jacket is £300 when a regatta one does the same job for a sixth of the price

gmc40

Head Pro
Visit site
I think it changes a little as you get older. When I was in my early 20's I thought nothing of spending £150 on a shirt or £250 on a pair of shoes. Now I'm in my early 40's with 2 kids and a mortgage and look back and think I was fookin stupid. I do have a bit of a passion for watches now though so I suppose I still suffer from a little brand snobbery.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
In my earlier years I was a big Ted Baker fan. I have always turned my nose up at Ralph Lauren and Fred Perry polo shirts as they are hideously overpriced. These days I am happy to buy whatever I feel looks good without worrying what brand it is. Definitely sliding into old man territory

haplesshacker

Money List Winner
mid-life-crisis-man.blogspot.co.uk
In my earlier years I was a big Ted Baker fan. I have always turned my nose up at Ralph Lauren and Fred Perry polo shirts as they are hideously overpriced. These days I am happy to buy whatever I feel looks good without worrying what brand it is. Definitely sliding into old man territory

Until it comes to 'MyJoys' of course.:whistle:

MegaSteve

Tour Winner
Visit site
Too long in the tooth to worry about 'designer' apparel...
But when buying other 'stuff' like to afford the 'right' brands...
eg Multitool has to be a Leatherman...
When I used to play with cars used to have a penchant for Stahlwille tools...

Last edited:

Mr_T

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I would definitely class myself as a brand snob, I don't have a paticular desire to constantly have a label or logo on show, but I find myself drifitng towards shops such as Topman and Hollister when I do look for clothes etc, but thats more because of just liking their stuff rather than having a paticular dislike for cheap clothes. That said, I would be the biggest Ralph Lauren brand snob around if I could afford it!

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
M at M (Man at Matalan) for me. I do not subscribe to the "what I wear will make me a better golfer" brigade. Why pay £100 pounds or more for trousers at the golf club when you can get 2 or 3 pairs at other shops for the same amount of money?

Pin-seeker

Visit site
I do like Lacoste,Ralph & lyle & Scott polo shirts. But I'm quite happy with Dunlop trousers for golf. Can't go wrong for £10

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I like quality clothes but refuse to pay silly prices.

Last buy was a RL polo for £29 at TKM.
Reason it was reduced from £65......Last years colours...... FGS it is a POLO short.
I have bought some really good quality Musto stuff on the Isle of Wight. It is quite suited to golf.
Better quality at half the price.