Bramley/Puttenham/Guildford

Parky24

Medal Winner
Visit site
These 3 are the only private members courses near me that have no joining fee. If anyone has played them how do they rate up against one another. Thx

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
Of the 3...I was going to say Guildford all day long.... but the good bits at Puttenham are very good but there a couple of annoying walks between holes that spoil it a bit, and I don't like a par 3 finishing holes... Bramley is similar to Puttenham on that it has some good bit and some duller bits. Good finish there though.

I'd want to know what they were like to be a member at...as the courses are all prettt good.

Guildford drains really well up on the challenge downs... don't know about others in that respect.

But there will be others with better recent knowledge of them

Last edited:
D

Deleted Member 1156

Are you limiting yourself to only courses without a joining fee? It wouldn't put me off as I consider joining a course to be a long term commitment. I paid £1000 when I joined my place 12 years ago so in the grand scheme of things it's not a lot of money.
Obviously up to you but I would look at all the courses in your area before ruling any of them out.

sev112

Tour Winner
Visit site
3 good choices, enjoyed both Puttenham and Bramley, esp the views at Puttenham. But played Guildfod a lot over the years and it has great views and a great collection of holes. Enjoy , it’s a nice choice

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
From memories of 30 years ago

Guildford longish and good more open than the other two.
Puttenham lots of heather and tightish
Bramley short but tight with heavily tree lined fairways.

Puttenham can be a a bit weather restricted on occasions as it sits in a bowl below the Hogs Back (my brother lives the other side and we can see the storm clouds but not get the same weather), Guildford being high up can get the snow when the other two do not have any.

If I was considering all 3 I certainly would play a round or two on each before making a decision. Getting to the course is something that certainly should be taken in to consideration.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
These 3 are the only private members courses near me that have no joining fee. If anyone has played them how do they rate up against one another. Thx
Not played Guildford, but the other 2 were both a little quirky (enjoyably so though) and, at least in places, HILLY! Depending on the annual fee, it worth giving either/both a shot to see if the 'club' atmosphere is to your liking. I think I enjoyed Puttenham more - even with the 'Par 3 to finish' issue, as it's a really good one!
The climb to the 17th Tee at Bramley is also memorable - unfortunately negatively!

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
We are in the area you are looking and our joining fee is currently significantly reduced (though still £1000). As others have said - depends on your plans looking ahead whether you think a joining fee is worth it. We invest a lot in the course - and tbh - we get members joining from the courses you are looking at. That said we also have members moving away to other fairly local courses.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
A couple of folk above have made cracking points about not dismissing those with Joining Fees, especially if you plan to be there for a while... go and see if those places feel better than the three stated. Also it depends on where you live as proximity is a factor. Many places with joining fees will also allow them to me paid off over a number of years. Adding that to the annual cost might make it more palatable.

When I stated playing in the mid 80s, the 3 you mentioned had waiting lists and were not massively welcoming! (And this is coming from a native Guildfordian and an OG!) Now they are scurrying around for membership.

Shooter McPowick

Head Pro
Visit site
Would be there in a heartbeat if it was feasible. I have always said the joining fee is a one off hit and if you stay long term it soon factors down. Hindhead is so worth the money
The stars just seemed to align earlier this year for me. Biggest regret is not joining sooner. Not sure when last you played it but there’s been huge redevelopment / improvement going on for a few years now and a solid improvement plan going forward to 2030. I’m guessing here but I think they want all the architects suggestions done for the 125th anniversary in 2029

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
The stars just seemed to align earlier this year for me. Biggest regret is not joining sooner. Not sure when last you played it but there’s been huge redevelopment / improvement going on for a few years now and a solid improvement plan going forward to 2030. I’m guessing here but I think they want all the architects suggestions done for the 125th anniversary in 2029

Played it at the H4H day a few years back which was brilliant. Loved everything about the place but have seen some of the changes on social media and looks amazing.

User20205

Money List Winner
Visit site
Played it at the H4H day a few years back which was brilliant. Loved everything about the place but have seen some of the changes on social media and looks amazing.
When was HFH played at Hindhead? I’ve been out the loop for a while but I can’t recall it going there

User20205

Money List Winner
Visit site
Re the OP. Only played Guildford & puttenham. Guildford would be my choice. I’ve enjoyed playing there 4 times recently both summer & winter. It’s a good walk.
If I lived up there I’d look at there rather than pay an eye watering joining fee

Parky24

Medal Winner
Visit site
Still considering my options even though Puttenham is now full up with a waiting list and small joining fee. A couple of other courses have come into the reckoning. The Drift and Sutton Green.

Parky24

Medal Winner
Visit site
I had a walk at Guildford today and was shocked at how bad the fairways were. So muddy it made merrist wood look good