Boxing/UFC 2018-24

Marshy77

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Gutted for DC, love the guy and everything he stands for. Speaks so well too, his commentary is the best of the fighters for me. Thought he won the 1st 3 rounds but was shattered in the 4th and the body shots really hurt him.

Glad nobody is calling Connor out now, his time has gone, the UFC should forget him now. Dependent on which weight class he sees himself fighting at, if he ever does, I can't see him beating Diaz, Masvidal, Khabib, Pettis, Holloway, Poirer.

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
Bellator had been teasing a "big name International" signing for a week or so and officially announced who it is last night - former England rugby International James Haskell. 34 years old, built like a tank and has apparently been training for a while, interested to see how he goes. I remember John Hathaway having a Rugby background before switching to MMA and he was probably the best British grappler we had in the early days of UK fighters in the UFC, so interested to see how the skills transition for Haskell.

Fromtherough

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Bellator had been teasing a "big name International" signing for a week or so and officially announced who it is last night - former England rugby International James Haskell. 34 years old, built like a tank and has apparently been training for a while, interested to see how he goes. I remember John Hathaway having a Rugby background before switching to MMA and he was probably the best British grappler we had in the early days of UK fighters in the UFC, so interested to see how the skills transition for Haskell.
He's certainly a unit and formerly an elite level athlete. I just fear at his age it's a big step. No idea if he has any other martial arts/combat experience, which would at least give him some grounding. Bellator is exceptionally high level - this could go very wrong!

I note his missus is Richard and Judy's daughter and they've done some reality tv together. Hope this isn't something like Flintoff's foray into boxing, via a tv show.

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
Doubt it. He apparently does Rugby podcast where he often talks about training Jiu Jitsu and Judo, and has trained at London Shootfighters for a number of years. I think he'll be taking this pretty seriously.

What is the intention of those Sky AJ interview adverts? If it's to make AJ look like an absolute mug, then it's working.

Fromtherough

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Doubt it. He apparently does Rugby podcast where he often talks about training Jiu Jitsu and Judo, and has trained at London Shootfighters for a number of years. I think he'll be taking this pretty seriously.

What is the intention of those Sky AJ interview adverts? If it's to make AJ look like an absolute mug, then it's working.
I've just read he's been into MMA for a while and is pretty knowledgeable. Whole different ball game actually competing though.

Joshua is coming across as a sore loser. Also, building himself up for a massive fall should he lose again. Ruiz certainly has the hand speed to cause him the same problems all over again. Joshua's problem is that he needs a round or two to recover from a decent punch. Whyte was injured so couldn't follow up when he had him hurt. Klitschko is always safety first, so backed off when he pretty much had Joshua beat, enabling him 2 or 3 rounds off. Ruiz was all over him as soon as he had him rocked. He's a come forward fighter anyway and didn't let him off the hook. If he lands again, the same result is not a stretch.

Pin-seeker

Visit site

Hope Ruiz knocks him out again.
Joshua was so over hyped,only a matter of before he got found out.

Pin-seeker

Visit site
2 fights I really hope we see in UFC.

Diaz v Masvidal
Ferguson v Khabib.

Would also like to see Jones v Santos 2.

No one else touches Jones at light heavyweight imo.

Jones v Cormier at heavy weight would be the same outcome as their last 2 fights so not really interested in that.

Fromtherough

Assistant Pro
Visit site
2 fights I really hope we see in UFC.

Diaz v Masvidal
Ferguson v Khabib.

Would also like to see Jones v Santos 2.

No one else touches Jones at light heavyweight imo.

Jones v Cormier at heavy weight would be the same outcome as their last 2 fights so not really interested in that.
I like your list! Add to that any credible opponent for Cejudo. Literally anyone who could beat him - Benevidez, Cruz or even bring Johnson back. I just hate his cheesiness. Brilliant last few performances, but each time he speaks it's like he's cutting a WWF promo video. I'd tune in just to see him lose (probably justifying why he does it!).

I think that Santos is the only credible opponent for Jones at LHW at the minute. 2 up and comers are in with a shout soon: Johnny Walker has looked sensational since joining the UFC. No idea what his ranking is though. Jones is probably a tad premature for him, but another one or two victories puts him in the frame. Dominick Reyes is an unbeaten fighter. Didn't look great last time though - and probably shouldn't have won. Don't think either would trouble Jones presently.

I would still like to see Jones V Cormier at heavyweight. After the weekend, the argument about Cormier being a totally different animal at heavyweight has dissipated. However, I'd love Cormier to be the one to legitimately beat Jones.

Pin-seeker

Visit site
I like your list! Add to that any credible opponent for Cejudo. Literally anyone who could beat him - Benevidez, Cruz or even bring Johnson back. I just hate his cheesiness. Brilliant last few performances, but each time he speaks it's like he's cutting a WWF promo video. I'd tune in just to see him lose (probably justifying why he does it!).

I think that Santos is the only credible opponent for Jones at LHW at the minute. 2 up and comers are in with a shout soon: Johnny Walker has looked sensational since joining the UFC. No idea what his ranking is though. Jones is probably a tad premature for him, but another one or two victories puts him in the frame. Dominick Reyes is an unbeaten fighter. Didn't look great last time though - and probably shouldn't have won. Don't think either would trouble Jones presently.

I would still like to see Jones V Cormier at heavyweight. After the weekend, the argument about Cormier being a totally different animal at heavyweight has dissipated. However, I'd love Cormier to be the one to legitimately beat Jones.
I’d love to see someone choke Cejudo with his gold medal.
Only person I see beating him at the Minute is Dillashaw,and that isn’t going to happen anytime soon.

Walker does look good(apart from his celebration) but Jones would destroy him.

I really hope Poirier beats Khabib.

Ortega V the Zombie could be a good fight.

Pin-seeker

Visit site
Looks like it’s going to be Ferguson v Khabib.

Big respect to Poirier,gave it his best but Khabib just too good.

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
Poirier was close with that guillotine and had Khabib rocked with the right hand, possibly the most adversity we've seen Khabib in, which just shows how good Khabib is as he got through it pretty comfortably. I think Ferguson will give him a good fight if they can actually make it to fight night. Tony so dangerous off the bottom, is very difficult to submit, and the pressure he puts on guys will be tough for Khabib to handle going into the later rounds. Tony's the only guy I think that offers a legitimate challenge to Khabib at LW. I still want to see the GSP fight but can't see that one happening.

Felder-Barboza was fantastic. So glad Felder got the decision, love that dude. Felder's fight-style is so entertaining, his striking is so damn good and him and DC are my favourite fighter-commentators, hope he gets a Top 5 guy now.

Marshy77

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Poirier was close with that guillotine and had Khabib rocked with the right hand, possibly the most adversity we've seen Khabib in, which just shows how good Khabib is as he got through it pretty comfortably. I think Ferguson will give him a good fight if they can actually make it to fight night. Tony so dangerous off the bottom, is very difficult to submit, and the pressure he puts on guys will be tough for Khabib to handle going into the later rounds. Tony's the only guy I think that offers a legitimate challenge to Khabib at LW. I still want to see the GSP fight but can't see that one happening.

Felder-Barboza was fantastic. So glad Felder got the decision, love that dude. Felder's fight-style is so entertaining, his striking is so damn good and him and DC are my favourite fighter-commentators, hope he gets a Top 5 guy now.

he talks so much sense too, like DC his commentary is top notch too.

Forget Connor, go straight to Ferguson and then Diaz.

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
Conor's tried to put himself back into the title picture calling out Khabib for a rematch in Moscow but I don't think anyone wants to actually see that apart from Conor and Dana. I do think Conor would put up a better fight 2nd time round, but he's still getting mauled by Khabib and likely submitted. Watching the first fight back on YouTube Conor did better first time around than I remembered, but he's still not beating Khabib.

Pin-seeker

Visit site
Conor's tried to put himself back into the title picture calling out Khabib for a rematch in Moscow but I don't think anyone wants to actually see that apart from Conor and Dana. I do think Conor would put up a better fight 2nd time round, but he's still getting mauled by Khabib and likely submitted. Watching the first fight back on YouTube Conor did better first time around than I remembered, but he's still not beating Khabib.

Yeah I felt the same after rewatching the Khabib v McGregor fight.

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
I remembered the fight like it was a total mauling but it wasn't that dominant. Conor scrambled well in the 1st and did decently in the stand-up, Khabib mauled him in round 2 and it was easily a 10-8, I thought Conor won round 3 (as did the 3 judges) and was doing well in round 4 before the takedown that led to the submission. Even Khabib's big right hand I remember totally different, it didn't really put Conor down, or if it did it was only for a split second and then Conor was back on the attack attempting a flying knee. Khabib dominated the fight but Conor was coming on strong in 3 and 4 and his notoriously dodgy cardio held up really well, he looked fresh in round 4. His striking wasn't great though, he didn't land any crisp shots, never looked like landing the left straight, but I think the broken foot in camp a few weeks out must have had an impact on that and his ability to move. So I think he'd do better in a 2nd fight, but that being said, I don't want to see it until Conor comes back and puts away a top 5/10 guy like Poirier, Cerrone, Gaethje or Iaquinta.

njt1986

Visit site
The problem with Conor, and what will always be a problem with Conor, is that he has no real ground game or wrestling. I'm sure he might stuff a few takedowns here and there, and he may be able to scramble back to his feet now and then, but against someone like Khabib who will just keep on coming like a T-1000? Not a chance.

The Conor fight I wanted most was Conor vs Tony ... jesus christ that would have been a bloodbath! Tony would punch himself in the face just to beat Conor to it! He's a mad man! And I think that would be the most interesting fight of all because Tony is just as good on his feet as Conor - yes Conor has maybe a better Western Boxing base than Tony, but Tony has lethal Muay Thai. Conor would not want to get anywhere NEAR a clinch with Tony because he'd be kneeing and elbowing and punching him constantly. But, Tony is mad enough to give Conor plenty of chances to land one on him and potentially put him away.

Tony vs Khabib is *THE* lightweight fight though, god i've been waiting for that fight to finally take place for years!

Some of the other weight divisions i'm finding a little stale though. LHW used to be absolutely stacked with top level talent and potential contenders to get within reach of Jon Jones but now? I don't see anyone beating him. Santos did well, in fact that's underselling him, he did AMAZINGLY well against Jones but I couldn't help but feel like Jon maybe hadn't taken him completely seriously, like when he fought Gustafson and was out snorting coke from strippers butt cracks in the weeks leading up to it and taking motorway dick pills

Fromtherough

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I can't believe Nigel Benn has signed up to fight Sakio Bika at the age of 55. He hasn't fought since 1996 - a year he suffered three defeats.

There's no doubt Benn was world class and was in numerous amazing fights. But he's 55. He's not fought in 23 years and not won in 24. Bika has been inactive for 2 years. He's lost a fair few fights, but mainly against top drawer opposition including: Calzaghe, Ward, Stevenson, Dirrell and Bute. He's never been knocked out and is no mug.

It's a bit worrying that a 55 year has been given a license. Hope it doesn't end badly.