Boxing/UFC 2018-24

Fromtherough

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Surprised that UFC guys on here not talking about CM’s comeback. Didn’t last very long!
Good performance from Poirier, which if you consider his record, was not totally unexpected. McGregor is such a cash cow that I can’t imagine this is the end for him. Despite not being a fan boy, I hope he doesn’t sully his MMA reputation and record too much by continuing. Hard to say if it was just a bad night, or if Father Time is calling.

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
Not a fan of contractual re-matches, but it's worked out for Whyte.
If they manage to arrange Whyte v Wilder that would pique my interest.

Fromtherough

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I love Whyte’s attitude and his style generally delivers good fights to watch. Great performance last night. What next is a tricky one as Joshua and Fury are likely to have at least two fights. Wilder looks a good bet and is a massive banana skin - even if he is a shell of his former self. Whyte shouted about the blueprint to beat him for years, before Fury delivered it. Would be a must see if it went ahead.

Over at the UFC Ngannou dispatched Miocic to become the heavyweight champion. The first fight affected him for a period, as highlighted in the Lewis fight. However, he’s over that now and on a run of devastation, delivering again last night. Could be the end of the road for Miocic. Probably the best heavyweight ever in terms of results (in the UFC).

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Embarrassing display from Povetkin. He was clearly unfit and all over the place. Dunno if he is still suffering from Covid or just hadn't bothered training for the fight (or both).

Felt sorry for anyone who paid to watch that mismatch.

Fromtherough

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Embarrassing display from Povetkin. He was clearly unfit and all over the place. Dunno if he is still suffering from Covid or just hadn't bothered training for the fight (or both).

Felt sorry for anyone who paid to watch that mismatch.
I don’t think it could be classed as a mismatch. Povetkin has a proven pedigree.

Fromtherough

Assistant Pro
Visit site
On paper it should have been a decent fight, but it turned out to be a bit of a farce. Povetkin was staggering about like a drunk on a Saturday night from Round 1.
I think Whyte’s decent first round knocked Povetkin’s equilibrium. He never truly recovered. Suppose as you get older, those shots are harder to recover from. With Povetkin being 41, that might be the last time we see him in a ring.

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
It isn't really worthy of a "box office" but Parker v Chisora tonight.
I guess a plucky, game showing by Chisora but coming up short is most likely outcome. As they say, you can never be sure....

Fromtherough

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Chisora has done well to get headline shows for being bang average.
I agree, I think this was his 10th or 11th loss, but he will fight in at a decent level. Chisora is very limited, but effective at what he does. Being willing to take one to ship one is not the smartest way forward - but it sometimes delivers good fights. However, how this was a PPV I’ll never know. Parker should have dealt with him, but like Usyk couldn’t quite get the job done. It was a very close fight though. I actually scored it level.

Piece

Tour Winner
Visit site
I agree, I think this was his 10th or 11th loss, but he will fight in at a decent level. Chisora is very limited, but effective at what he does. Being willing to take one to ship one is not the smartest way forward - but it sometimes delivers good fights. However, how this was a PPV I’ll never know. Parker should have dealt with him, but like Usyk couldn’t quite get the job done. It was a very close fight though. I actually scored it level.
I was expecting a draw, tbh. Parker did enough, just, but I too was disappointed in Parker. Supposedly he was reborn, version 2.0, yet didn’t really impress. These two are way behind the top heavyweights.

I didn’t pay. I used an alternative form of viewing ?

On the undercard, the Taylor v Jonas was decent, but not too level the commentators were extolling.

Couldn‘t fathom why Campbell Hatton‘s second fight was higher up the card than Eubank and Bivol’s?

Fromtherough

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I was expecting a draw, tbh. Parker did enough, just, but I too was disappointed in Parker. Supposedly he was reborn, version 2.0, yet didn’t really impress. These two are way behind the top heavyweights.

I didn’t pay. I used an alternative form of viewing ?

On the undercard, the Taylor v Jonas was decent, but not too level the commentators were extolling.

Couldn‘t fathom why Campbell Hatton‘s second fight was higher up the card than Eubank and Bivol’s?
The only thing I could think for Hatton’s placing on the bill was that it was in Manchester - not sure how relevant that is at the minute.

Taylor v Jonas was ok, but yeah not the barnstormer Sky would have you believe.

Looking forward to Canelo v Saunders next weekend. I can’t see anything other than a massive KO for Alvarez.

Piece

Tour Winner
Visit site
Canelo v BJS on Sun early morning. Most are saying Canelo. BJS does have the style to beat Canelo. It's just whether he can do it (punch and move Mayweather-style) for the full 12 rounds AND score enough points.

I'm going to say he can.

Has Canelo fed himself some "home-brew" beef again? ;)

Fromtherough

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Canelo v BJS on Sun early morning. Most are saying Canelo. BJS does have the style to beat Canelo. It's just whether he can do it (punch and move Mayweather-style) for the full 12 rounds AND score enough points.

I'm going to say he can.

Has Canelo fed himself some "home-brew" beef again? ;)
I’ll be shocked if it goes the distance, even with the bigger ring. I’m not a fan of Saunders, talented boxer but he’s not for me. Considering he’s been a world champion for 6 years or so, he’s resume is terrible. Tomorrow he’ll fight his first truly world class opponent and probably the number one pound for pound fighter. I can only see this ending one way. Still, might pave the way for a Eubank rematch, which would sell well domestically.

Fromtherough

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Never want to see a fight end that way. Hope Saunders’ injury isn’t too bad and he can fight another day. Possibly broken orbital bone. His corner definitely did the right thing in pulling him out. Saunders has previously mocked Dubois and Brook following the ending of fights with similar injuries. One of the reasons I’m not a fan of his.

Up until the injury, he’d boxed well. The problem is his pitter-patter punching didn’t gain the respect of Alvarez. It always looked as if he would land and when he did it was a beautiful punch. Looking at the scorecards at the finish, Saunders was never getting the decision even if he made the final bell. There is no way it was as wide as two of them had it.

Piece

Tour Winner
Visit site
Kell Brook was never the same and it's possible BJS won't be either. I didn't watch the fight by hear that BJS did ok, just not enough. He would have had to have boxed his socks off to get a result. Just met a man who was too good.

Funny that one of the first tweets I saw was from Chris Eubank Jnr calling Canelo out. ?. I was a fan of Eubank early in his career but recently I've realised he just isn't very good ?.

Back to Canelo. I recognise he is brilliant but I can't forget his murky drugs ban and the dubious scoring against GGG, both happening around the same time.