Bounce, grind?

popeye

Hacker
Visit site
I'm looking at going for a fitting for set of wedges but I'm a bit dumbfounded trying to understand these two terms! Can anyone explain it all to me? Why the variety? How to choose the right one for me? Etc etc. Thks

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Bounce is the relative angle of the club's sole, so will increase or decrease as you open, or close, the face from neutral.

Grind refers to a further profiling of the club's sole in order to try and get the best of both worlds from a single club and sole configuration. However, as you can't have the best of both worlds they are better viewed as either general compromises, or more focused sole profiles. Focused in this context on performing in particular situations.

We don't all swing our wedges the same, use the same basic technique or even have the same course conditions.....so grinds give flavours to a particular loft and bounce combination designed to suit techniques and conditions.

Roops

Head Pro
Visit site
I had a wedge fitting a while back. Has proved to be very worthwhile. First thing we got sorted was the gapping, what you think you may need, may not be what you end up with, so go with an open mind. Secondly, I ended up with two wedges that provide different options. I have a 56 degree with 10 degrees of bounce. This is fairly normal, and is used for up to 90 yards in, chipping around the green and longer bunker shots. The other is a 60 degree with 8 degrees and a ground sole, it's perfect for green side bunkers, floppers over trouble, thick/long grass etc. Good luck with your fitting, mine was very beneficial.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
It would depend on your stroke i suspect. When i had a flatter swing i didn't ever take much of a divot and had low bounce wedges. Now i'm a bit steeper, i've gone to higher bounce, seems to work.

Though its good to have both bases covered, My Sw is 14 deg and my 52 is 10 and still able to play these of tight lies... most of the time :)

D

Deleted Member 1156

I'm looking at going for a fitting for set of wedges but I'm a bit dumbfounded trying to understand these two terms! Can anyone explain it all to me? Why the variety? How to choose the right one for me? Etc etc. Thks
No need to worry about any of it, your fitter will sort you out (y)

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
go to the vokey.com website
click on wedges and then the selector tool and it give you a good guide to grinds.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site

popeye

Hacker
Visit site
Ok starting to get it now-but why is bounce more important on wedges but not irons? And why different bounces for different lofts?
The fitter recommended. 50/12. 54/08. 58/10.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Ok starting to get it now-but why is bounce more important on wedges but not irons? And why different bounces for different lofts?

And the fitters response to that question in respect of his recommendation was...?

As to normal irons, couple of things come into play

1. The longer shafts mean you don't have the same (steep) angle of attack
2. Generally you are playing a single swing and shot with your irons
3. There are differences between models
4. You aren't trying to manufacture as many different shots, including those that involve contact with the ground before the ball.

The last one may be a mute point for many, but the idea (as you know) is to hit the small ball before the big ball on iron shots 😀

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

The bounce on a wedge not only needs to suit your style of attack it also needs to suit the sand in the bunkers where you play the deeper and 'fluffier' the sand is the more bunce you need to stop the wedge from digging in. eg where I play in summer my SW has 14 degrees of bounce but in winter when the sand is much more wet and compacted this club is dropped out of the bag and I use a wedge with just 8 degrees of bounce.

With the non wedge irons you are generally just trying to take a divot but after the ball not before the ball when taking a full swing.

ps are you sure the fitter is recommending 50/12, that is a lot of bounce on a 50 degree wedge.

popeye

Hacker
Visit site
ps are you sure the fitter is recommending 50/12, that is a lot of bounce on a 50 degree wedge.

That's what he said. Apparently I have a very shallow angle if attack but reading a bit more I into it would that not require less bounce rather then more?