Boris the PM - a new beginning

Status
Not open for further replies.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
So is he on track .. I’ve not seen the news yet
The news today from London is good. Not heard for the rest of the country...but it will surely be improving in the days to come.

I'd like the PM's plan that is to be presented on Sunday makes very clear what we are expected to do in the event of a flare up in any town, city or region.

I would very much want that direction to be supported by a clear rationale, and that rationale might well need the government to tell us of some things that they could have done better or sooner in February - and that because of the learning gained from then we must do different 'next time' a flare-up is spotted.

Hope so.

Hacker Khan

Yurt Dwelling, Yoghurt Knitter
Visit site
The news today from London is good. Not heard for the rest of the country...but it will surely be improving in the days to come.

I'd like the PM's plan that is to be presented on Sunday makes very clear what we are expected to do in the event of a flare up in any town, city or region.

I would very much want that direction to be supported by a clear rationale, and that rationale might well need the government to tell us of some things that they could have done better or sooner in February - and that because of the learning gained from then we must do different 'next time' a flare-up is spotted.

Hope so.

We live in a nation where one of the world leading experts on disease modeling is no longer advising the government in the middle of the the biggest disease and pandemic crisis this country has every faced in modern times, because it was feared the public would ignore government advice as he had a bit of extra curricular hanky panky when he should not be having said hanky panky. Do you really think giving detailed rationales, issuing mea culpas and detailing the clear steps we will take if (and lets face it, it is more likely to be when) a future flare up is detected will be of any use?

As I have said many times, the trust we have in the government is not really dictated by what they say now, but a lot of it is a result of how they have behaved in the past. And personally I think Boris putting his serious face on and fessing up won't change that much at all.

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
I was unable to watch today's briefing on television but was able to listen to some of it on the radio. I got the distinct impression that he was really not well and really not up to fronting these briefings. Was that the same impression you got when watching it?

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
No, I watched him closely and he seemed bright eyed and bushy tailed.

He gave me the impression that he was saying stuff that he did not believe in.
He also dithered and bumbled quite a bit as per normal.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
I was unable to watch today's briefing on television but was able to listen to some of it on the radio. I got the distinct impression that he was really not well and really not up to fronting these briefings. Was that the same impression you got when watching it?

No, I watched him closely and he seemed bright eyed and bushy tailed.

He gave me the impression that he was saying stuff that he did not believe in.
He also dithered and bumbled quite a bit as per normal.

I thought he didn't look his best and that he tired quickly. However, I thought he spoke well but that the message was, on occasion, a little ambiguous. The message is there but he's expecting too much of people. All well and good treating people like intelligent adults but there's a section that need a clear "do this, don't do that."

Swinglowandslow

Visit site
I thought he didn't look his best and that he tired quickly. However, I thought he spoke well but that the message was, on occasion, a little ambiguous. The message is there but he's expecting too much of people. All well and good treating people like intelligent adults but there's a section that need a clear "do this, don't do that."

I see where you are coming from, and I agree there are numpties but surely we cannot bring everything down to the lowest denominator. You understood, I understood, most everybody understood. The journos mischievously said they didn't etc, but no government or authoritative body giving advice should have to make that advice an instruction because thickos can't comprehend it.
It seems we have a populace now that expects to be told every little detail and using common sense and working things out intelligently is beyond them.
Almost brainwashed.

Example.... pedestrian crossings where the walker presses a button and the lights turn red and then you can cross.
I've seen so many fit 30-40-50 yr olds walk to the crossing on a virtually empty road and press the button. Whereas if they had thought for a second they could have safely crossed cos the nearest car is 100 yards away.

Sorry, if the message is properly there, then the job's been done.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
I see where you are coming from, and I agree there are numpties but surely we cannot bring everything down to the lowest denominator. You understood, I understood, most everybody understood. The journos mischievously said they didn't etc, but no government or authoritative body giving advice should have to make that advice an instruction because thickos can't comprehend it.
It seems we have a populace now that expects to be told every little detail and using common sense and working things out intelligently is beyond them.
Almost brainwashed.

Example.... pedestrian crossings where the walker presses a button and the lights turn red and then you can cross.
I've seen so many fit 30-40-50 yr olds walk to the crossing on a virtually empty road and press the button. Whereas if they had thought for a second they could have safely crossed cos the nearest car is 100 yards away.

I don't disagree. But for some its a bit like a "Give Way" sign at a junction. Some will get angry if you honk your horn because you think they cut it a little fine. Equally, I've had HID moan from the passenger seat that a guy pulled out a bit sharpish but I thought there was plenty of room. And that's why messages need to be unambiguous. If left to interpretation some people will unintentionally stray over the line, whilst others will deliberately do so. But if its a "Stop" sign there's no ambiguity.

drdel

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Almost brainwashed.

I agree. There seems to be a default position that says "I'm not accepting that and complain about anything", especially lack of direction. Except those same people would immediately hit the social media saying their Rights are infringed by the Nanny State issuing dictatorial instructions.

The Government has issued advice, strong advice based on the recommendations from some of the best medics in the UK. The briefings and detailed guidance is easily understood by those bothering to see the message and willing to take a bit of responsibility and act accordingly.

No wonder the Aussies still call us the 'Whinging Poms' !!!

People need to accept the danger and delicacy of the situation and this latest set of advice is only for a couple of weeks, and if all goes well more relaxations of the constraints will come on-stream. If we muck about and rush ahead the constraints will last longer and might even be more stringent and costly (money and lives).

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I agree. There seems to be a default position that says "I'm not accepting that and complain about anything", especially lack of direction. Except those same people would immediately hit the social media saying their Rights are infringed by the Nanny State issuing dictatorial instructions.

The Government has issued advice, strong advice based on the recommendations from some of the best medics in the UK. The briefings and detailed guidance is easily understood by those bothering to see the message and willing to take a bit of responsibility and act accordingly.

No wonder the Aussies still call us the 'Whinging Poms' !!!

People need to accept the danger and delicacy of the situation and this latest set of advice is only for a couple of weeks, and if all goes well more relaxations of the constraints will come on-stream. If we muck about and rush ahead the constraints will last longer and might even be more stringent and costly (money and lives).
There is no doubt in my mind that Boris should have been a clearer in his announcement. He said a few things that we unclear and when making policy statements to the Nation that's not good. He didnt need to make comments like 'return to work from tomorrow ' when the next day we were told it's from Wednesday, all he needed to do was say there would be new arrangements for some people returning to work, sports and social gatherings and the details would be available Monday. I would also suggest it's normal to present the changes to Parliament for discussion first. Nothing to do with whinging, it's about clear unambiguous information.

drdel

Tour Rookie
Visit site
There is no doubt in my mind that Boris should have been a clearer in his announcement. He said a few things that we unclear and when making policy statements to the Nation that's not good. He didnt need to make comments like 'return to work from tomorrow ' when the next day we were told it's from Wednesday, all he needed to do was say there would be new arrangements for some people returning to work, sports and social gatherings and the details would be available Monday. I would also suggest it's normal to present the changes to Parliament for discussion first. Nothing to do with whinging, it's about clear unambiguous information.

I accept what you say and the statement was not the best of briefings.

However the Cabinet is the Executive body of Government in the UK. Had there been a virtual discussion by MP's then the media message would have been on their arguments and a long way from the core intention of providing transparent information direct to the public

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site
She should be sacked for posting such defamatory rubbish - and a Health minister into the bargain. Maybe she felt she needed to start trying to undermine Starmer given he seems to know how to expose Johnson as the 'all skirt nae knickers' politician that he is.

Apparently summoned to Downing St silly woman. As bad as those MPs and officials that published some unsavory stuff about BJ when he was in intensive care. They all should be sacked from holding public office IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.