Books about golf

Siolag

Visit site
Are there any books people can recommend about golf? I am a voracious reader and would like to read about the history of the game, famous players and if possible, something that will explain all the lingo and how the rules have come to be. Preferably some I can get on Kindle as I have capacity issues for an upcoming holiday.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
"Gettin' to the Dance Floor" by Al Barkow is a great read for the early days of American Pro golf. (Not sure you'll find it on Kindle though)

GG26

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I can recommend three books by Mark Frost, which cover the history surrounding the subjects in detail;

Grand Slam - about Bobby Jones
The Greatest Game Ever Played - about Francis Ouimet, Harry Vardon & Ted Ray
The Match - Ben Hogan, Ken Venturi & Byron Nelson

GG26

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
...also Tommy’s Honour about Old and Young Tom Morris and the start of The Open Championship.

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
Just started reading Paper Tiger (written by the guy who wrote the books suggested by @OLgolfer - Tom Coyne) and am really enjoying it so far. Basically he takes a year out to dedicate himself to golf with the goal of making it through PGA Tour Q-School. There's a fantastic passage early in the book comparing the "best golfer you know" to a PGA Tour star that really puts it into perspective how good the guys on Tour are. Well worth a read!

Tongo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Best golf books i've read are all by John Feinstein.

1) A Good Walk Spoiled
2) The Majors
3) Moment of Glory

All 3 are a great insight into pro golf and absorbing reads. I've read A Good Walk spoiled 3 or 4 times and could easily read it again.

Pathetic Shark

Tour Rookie
Visit site
"Me and Old Tom Morris - a first person account" by chrisd :p

Strong recommendation for Ross Biddiscombe's two books about the European Tour Qualifying School "Golf on the Edge" and "Golf on the Edge2". His book on the history of the Ryder Cup is pretty damn awesome too.

VVega

Assistant Pro
Visit site
"No Hiding in the Open" by John Hoskison.
Great book, particularly liked his quest for approaching a round (from being hangover to feeling James Bond ;)

Daren Clarke and Ian Poulter bios are good too.

American caddy at St Andrews is quite fun and gives some insights into the Old. Though did put me off from hiring a caddy there ;)

19th hole

Medal Winner
Visit site
I really enjoyed '4 Iron in the Soul' by Lawrence Donegan. It's about a journalist who spends a years as a caddy. Insightful and funny.

D

Deleted member 1147

Was told recently of a book written by a golf journo' from Derby, about life trying to be a player followed by life following the tours as a journalist.

It's catchy title is "Bring me the head of Sergio Garcia" - anyone read it?

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Was told recently of a book written by a golf journo' from Derby, about life trying to be a player followed by life following the tours as a journalist.

It's catchy title is "Bring me the head of Sergio Garcia" - anyone read it?

I've read it, a decent read.