Boo Weekley is a doyle - discuss

KeefG

Journeyman Pro
www.maywoodgolfclub.com
Hmmmmmmmmm....thats a toughie!

He's had a hard season for sure, but I dont blame him for getting Boro relegated.

Too many players who didnt perform....anyway, we digress! lol

KeefG

Journeyman Pro
www.maywoodgolfclub.com
I agree entirely!!

Fuzzy Zoeller was a character, to an extent so is Ian Poulter, Monty for all his misgivings is also....but the difference between these 3 and Weekley is that they respected the talent they had and genuinely loved the game they play.

Huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuge difference!

It would be like a decent F1 driver, say Robert Kubica....has a decent car but fails to produce the goods often, and he comes out and says "well, yeah i'm an F1 driver, earning a small fortune, to an extent I have the world at my feet...its ok but I cant wait to retire"

minty18

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I'd say fair play to Mr Kubica.

I dont think he has intended to disrespect the game as much as it looks and if its any consolation I dont think he'll achieve greatness in the game with this mindset.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Does that mean when he retires, Boo wont be spending anytime helping kids get into golf and putting something back into the game that has given him so much?

minty18

Tour Rookie
Visit site
but why should he have to?

How many footballers leave football and give something back? most just buy race horses and spend the day gambling.

Giving something back to the game is a gesture, it shouldnt be expected.

justhitthething

Assistant Pro
Visit site
but why should he have to?

How many footballers leave football and give something back? most just buy race horses and spend the day gambling.

Giving something back to the game is a gesture, it shouldnt be expected.

Hear Hear. Im a civil engineer. Its given me a living, but when I retire you wont find me teaching wide eyed kids how to build bridges.
That said Bo is a doyle.

nomadpaul

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I think it's refreshing that a player can be so honest with his outlook on life.
How many people are in a job because of the money rather than job satisfaction ? He see's his golf as a means to an end.....and good luck to him. At least he'll never be accused of being a golf bore - and that's not aimed at anyone on here :)

Lets face it , if you could get a job and earn enough to comfortably retire at 42 , wouldn't you go for it , regardless if you liked the job or not.

Lets spin it on it's head . What about if you found out you were a brilliant fisherman even though you wern't keen on it ? You realise that if you join the match fishing circuit , you could quite easily make enough before you're 42 to retire and spend the rest of your life playing golf ?
would you go for it ?

I like to see honesty in all walks of life 8)

Yerman

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Strikes me he seems just an ordinary working-class american bloke who hit it big at golf. I like his open attitude, what you see is what you get. :p

vig

Tour Winner
Visit site
Weekly is a "cock", nothing more nothing less.

Good for the game?... Maybe...

I can't believe he is so ignorant to some of the golfing history.. I stand by my statement.. A cock!!!

golfnut18

Assistant Pro
Visit site
i must admit i do not like his attitude to golf but if hes retiring to go hunting and fishing , good on him for doing something he loves. i wish i could retire at that age to go fishing and hunting all the time and of course play golf .
( yes i love both fishing and hunting so hate me if you do so wish)

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
I think Boo has a great game, but lets be honest, what expectations do you have of someone who is nicknamed after Yogi Bear's sidekick?

I wondered if the dumbass routine, but I think it is real. At the Scottish Open in 2007, just before Carnoustie, he played with Paul Lawrie. He asked Lawrie of he had qualified for The Open or ever played Carnoustie.

I think Boo is fine so long as he doesn't wear his stupid camouflage gear and keeps his gob shut.