Boggy rough

RAM72

Visit site
Hi .. just wondering if someone knows about free drops ..
I was playing yesterday and a friend
Landed in the rough which was v boggy and unplayable he picked his ball up and placed it on the fairway
Is this right :)

D

Deleted member 1147

I would have thought that it should be dropped at the nearest point, not nearer the hole, which isn’t waterlogged.

robinthehood

Hacker
Visit site
Hi .. just wondering if someone knows about free drops ..
I was playing yesterday and a friend
Landed in the rough which was v boggy and unplayable he picked his ball up and placed it on the fairway
Is this right :)
Nah, if there was visible water he could get a free drop from it or if the ball had plugged . The drop location could possibly have been on the fairway.. you have to find the nearest point that gives you relief and drop within a club length

RAM72

Visit site
Nah, if there was visible water he could get a free drop from it or if the ball had plugged . The drop location could possibly have been on the fairway.. you have to find the nearest point that gives you relief and drop within a club length
thank you

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Unless the rule has recently changed, boggy muddy ground is not abnormal ground conditions and therefore not allowable for free relief, there does have to be casual water there

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
If it’s just a casual round why not, no point making it harder without a card on the line.

Who really needs to practice this lie...

If it comes up in a competition I would be looking to wedge it out into the short stuff anyway.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Unless the rule has recently changed, boggy muddy ground is not abnormal ground conditions and therefore not allowable for free relief, there does have to be casual water there

You can have a local rule as part of winter rules. Just need to read the noticeboard before going out.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
You can have a local rule as part of winter rules. Just need to read the noticeboard before going out.
'Winter Rules' is simply Preferred Lies. Committees must not write a Local Rule that goes beyond the authorized Local Rules in ways which compromise the basic principles of the Rules of Golf. As examples, allowing players to use preferred lies throughout the general area or .....

D

Deleted member 1147

'Winter Rules' is simply Preferred Lies. Committees must not write a Local Rule that goes beyond the authorized Local Rules in ways which compromise the basic principles of the Rules of Golf. As examples, allowing players to use preferred lies throughout the general area or .....

In winter, as long as the event isn't a quialifier, I'd imagine the club can do whatever they like

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
In winter, as long as the event isn't a quialifier, I'd imagine the club can do whatever they like
Up to a point. It would also prevent any scores being returned for handicap purposes under WHS.
Probably not too important but the County or R&A would not adjudicate on any disputed situation that may arise during the round.
I would suggest the the county/EG would also be unhappy if it was thought the club was deliberately bypassing the intent of the system

D

Deleted member 1147

Up to a point. It would also prevent any scores being returned for handicap purposes under WHS.
Probably not too important but the County or R&A would not adjudicate on any disputed situation that may arise during the round.
I would suggest the the county/EG would also be unhappy if it was thought the club was deliberately bypassing the intent of the system
If no one is playing a qualifying round, and so no handicap ramifications, how can it matter?
We played a couple of weeks ago, and it was like a bog, so mats had to be used everywhere (except bunkers & water hazards), so as to protect the ground.
No handicaps were to be affected, other than internal winter league handicaps, and no one cared.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
It doesn't matter to me. I just mentioned the possible ramifications. But WHS implies that all comp scores will be counted. EG/CONGU have not yet told us about any exceptions.