Blue Badge owners discount

rapper

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Does any club offer blue badge holders membership subscription discounts due to waterlogged courses when only carrying clubs aloud?
Its been carry only at our place since November no trolleys or single seater buggies,which i need to get around the course yet i still have to pay my monthly direct debit....

CliveW

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'm assuming you are referring to the blue badges issued by local authorities for car parking. I have never heard of this relating to a golf club. At our club you are required to have a letter from your GP to allow the use of buggies during competitions, however if conditions are so bad that buggies are not allowed then there is no dispensation.

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
If you have a buggy for health reasons I was under the impression that The Club was obliged to let you use it. This is the case at our Club and I thought it was included in some disability act or something similar.

We have no buggies from November to March but members who have their own on health grounds can use them.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If you have a buggy for health reasons I was under the impression that The Club was obliged to let you use it. This is the case at our Club and I thought it was included in some disability act or something similar.

We have no buggies from November to March but members who have their own on health grounds can use them.

The reason given for buggy bans where I play is Health and Safety concerns.

Although I have my own single seater buggy I occasionally use a large hire buggy and now there are some parts of the course where you have to very careful with one. I went for a 360 spin once after hitting the brakes a bit too firmly.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site

The 2010 Act. There is a requirement for Clubs to do regular checks in order to let buggy (or trolley) users to be able to find a safe route to play whenever the course is open to other users. A blanket ban is just not acceptable

NearHull

Visit site
There are two reasons when buggies can be ‘banned’. Health and Safety reasons when a specific assessment has been carried out and it is considered an unacceptable risk or, it is considered that the damage that would be caused by a buggy would be unreasonable to repair.
The second reason is difficult to justify imho.

EG advise that the above is within the bounds of the 2010 Disability Act,

ETA. If they quote that the reason is a H&S risk, you should ask to see the specific H&S Assessment document that addresses the use of a buggy - it should be reviewed every day.

further information at https://static.whsplatform.englandg...ggies_transportation/buggy-policy-and-use.pdf

Last edited:

doublebogey7

Head Pro
Visit site
At my club, a daily risk assessment is carried out whenever restrictions are in place.Often this results in buggy users being restricted to fewer holes (sometimes none), than those that can walk. We offer no discount for those unable to walk the course.

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site

If you go to a GP and ask for a letter, does he have to be satisfied you have a genuine need to use a buggy or a trolley, or do they just hand them out to anyone who is willing to pay them for one?

I may be cynical, but I suspect the latter.

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If we are carry only the buggy and trolley users are restricted to the first 8 holes and have to stay on the buggy path. They also have to do the 90° thing and leave the buggy/trolley on the path. 8 holes is better than none and stops the course from getting trashed.

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
If you go to a GP and ask for a letter, does he have to be satisfied you have a genuine need to use a buggy or a trolley, or do they just hand them out to anyone who is willing to pay them for one?

I may be cynical, but I suspect the latter.
Realistically there is no way a GP will have the time or inclination to determine whether or not someone needs a buggy and will rely on their word.

rapper

Assistant Pro
Visit site
The 2010 Act. There is a requirement for Clubs to do regular checks in order to let buggy (or trolley) users to be able to find a safe route to play whenever the course is open to other users. A blanket ban is just not acceptable
Thanks tell me more about the 2010 act please ,where can i find a copy

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Realistically there is no way a GP will have the time or inclination to determine whether or not someone needs a buggy and will rely on their word.
It's not just buggies, we currently have a trolley ban, but you can use one of you have a doctor's letter. The going rate apparently is £40-£50, so if you are willing to spend that, you can happily ignore the trolley ban.

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
It's not just buggies, we currently have a trolley ban, but you can use one of you have a doctor's letter. The going rate apparently is £40-£50, so if you are willing to spend that, you can happily ignore the trolley ban.
Sure butI don't think a doctor will be able to do much other than take you at your word.

rapper

Assistant Pro
Visit site
There are two reasons when buggies can be ‘banned’. Health and Safety reasons when a specific assessment has been carried out and it is considered an unacceptable risk or, it is considered that the damage that would be caused by a buggy would be unreasonable to repair.
The second reason is difficult to justify imho.

EG advise that the above is within the bounds of the 2010 Disability Act,

ETA. If they quote that the reason is a H&S risk, you should ask to see the specific H&S Assessment document that addresses the use of a buggy - it should be reviewed every day.

further information at https://static.whsplatform.englandg...ggies_transportation/buggy-policy-and-use.pdf
Many thanks ,the 2010 disability act isabout 290 pages long could you point out to me the relevant chapters re disabled golfers and what golf club owners should do to stop direct discrimination please

NearHull

Visit site
Many thanks ,the 2010 disability act isabout 290 pages long could you point out to me the relevant chapters re disabled golfers and what golf club owners should do to stop direct discrimination please
I personally have not read the act, though our Course Director has done so. I suggest that a layman’s interpretation of the act, in consideration of golf, would be a tricky path to follow ( no pun intended) and to make decisions upon. We took formal legal advice a few years ago, looking for a definitive answer about banning the use of buggies and/or trollie, but that advice was not conclusive, and we now rely on England Golf Advice.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
England golf are well aware of the Act and appear to be talking to golf clubs about discrimination. It's quite clear they don't want Clubs, or indeed players, to go to court over issues and E.G. appear to be advising Clubs on how to look after members who may have previously been discriminated against

Captain_Black.

Visit site
My club.
We've been closed quite a lot since Christmas.
When we have been open, it's been carry only & still is.
When restrictions are in place, those with a medical exemption (Doctors letter) can move up 1x category.
I.E
From carry to push
Or push to electric
But, if there is a buggy ban, nobody can use one regardless of medical issues.
This includes full size & single ride on's
There is no financial recompense regarding fees.
Historically, we pretty much have no buggies Nov - March.