Blood donors - a dying breed?

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
We had the transfusion buses on-site recently and they have now published the figures.

Donors - 172 (3 new donors).

There are nearly 1200 people here!

Of the 1100+ who didn't donate a few may have been away or sick and some may be in categories that can't donate but not that many!

I seriously doubt if there's one among them who would turn down a transfusion, so where do they think it's going to come from?

moan over.

AuburnWarrior

Tour Winner
Visit site
I have to admit that I'd like to do it but the thought of watching my blood leaving my body - I know I'd pass out!!!

Poor I know but I'm not very good with injections, etc.

nowtfancy

Assistant Pro
Visit site
try it with your eyes closed? that's what i do!

I was like that - always thought i should do it but always found an excuse, then my cousin needed a load of blood after an accident so the whole family made the effort & go every time.
Plus I get time off work in my current job!

Chrimbo

Head Pro
Visit site
Blood donors are needed more than ever with swine around x

Why?

Because donors can't give blood if they have flu and swine is pretty contagious. So I've heard anyway?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/swine-flu/6050313/Swine-flu-blood-bank-faces-shortages.html

Sorry, I though you were inferring that if you've got swine flu you need a blood transfusion ....

I used to be a blood donor to get over my fear of needles …….. didn’t work even though I went six times and six times.

madandra

Money List Winner
Visit site
I have given 30+ pints and since Olivia was born 6 years ago I haven't had any more tattoos due to the fact you cant give blood for a year.

Isnt it funny how guys will say they hate needles but are covered in tattoos. My wifes bro has 9 tattoos and will point blank refuse to give blood.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I have a real phobia about needles and its still a case of mind over matter to do my daily blood sugar levels. I use to give blood regularly as a teeenager in my first job as a civil servant (you got the flexi time, a biscuit and tea) but stopped in the mid 90's. With my various illnesses over the last 3 years I haven't been able to but I strongly urge any forum member fit and well enough to donate to do so if possible. It may not help you or your family directly but should the worse happen and you need a transfusion you can rest assured everything will be done to help you in your time of need. Help yourself to help others

rgs

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Would love to donate but had Jaundice as a kid an therefore barred fom donating.

My father was a serial donor and had donated 49 units, then had a heart attack, donations stopped as a result.

Its a very worthy cause.

T

thecraw

I have just got me silver badge, 25 pints in the bank now for me!

Beats any badge Blue Peter offer!

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
tattoos are only six-months now so with a bit of judicious time juggling you can still get two donations in that year and back to three the next, which is what I've been planning.

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Used to give regularly (& the missus has done about twice as much) but in recent times seem to keep going on holiday to places where afterwards you can't give for a while (malaria & stuff like that). Soon as we're out of "quarantine" we'll be back.

Always seems a fair swap to me - half an hour off work, a lie down, a cup of tea & a couple of biscuits, for a pint of your finest. Thems who don't like needles - just stare at the ceiling - you'll not know they've done it.

stevek1969

Money List Winner
Visit site
Have a fear of needles ,but cant give a drop anyway due to a heart condition , but people who do should be rewarded in someway.

Jahmoo

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Have a fear of needles ,but cant give a drop anyway due to a heart condition , but people who do should be rewarded in someway.

I used to give Blood 3 times a Year....now I do not, but then I am Diabetic, so my blood is no good to anyone. :D

Needles, I cant have a Problem, 4 injections a DAY :eek:

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
'rewards' would bring it into the US 'paid donor' arena - that got it a rep as being mostly winos and druggies.

over here it's smaller stuff (lapel badges, coasters, pens) until you reach higher numbers - I think it's now 75 to be eligible for the presentation dinner though it used to be 100. awards at these levels change from time to time, presentation plate, decanter etc, and I think some have been introduced at 50.

the thinking is different over here and I'd bet that no-one becomes a donor for what they can get out of it.

Spoff

Tour Rookie
Visit site
How do you find out if you're OK to give blood?

Due to an illness a few years ago I was told not to give blood but don't think that was for ever.

Had a bad experience as a kid where a nurse couldn't find the vain and rather than coming out and trying again she waggled the needle in my arm for a bit. One of my earliest memories is my Mum going ballistic with her!

We get the bood guys coming here, I'm a Civil Servant, I'll make a conceous effort next time they're here.

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
that test is only haemoglobin, just to check that your blood will clot. doesn't do anything else.

simplest next time they come, turn up, fill in the questionnaire, and raise any issues when it's checked at the time of the haemoglobin test.