Blood circulation...

kid2

Money List Winner
Visit site
Just thought id throw this out for some debate...
I suffer very bad with Chilblains on my knuckles this time of year from about the end of october and they'll last till about march if im lucky.....Ialso have a condition called raynauds disease its when the flow of blood is taken completely from the fingers to leave them numb and with no feeling...This as youy can imagine plays havoc with my golf....As the forum has a wide variety of people from all different walks of life..
Has anyone ever experienced any of these conditions and is there a cure for either.....
Any help would be greatly welcomed....

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Occasionally the ends of some of my fingers (from the last knuckle) look like they lose all the blood out of them and turn a yellowish colour.

I've no idea what it is though and never seen a doctor about it. It doesn't hurt or anything like that, it's just annoying.

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
I was watching bear grylls the other day and he said to get circulation to your fingers tips when there numb is shake your arms in a downward motion as if you are trying to shake blood to the tips of your fingers,do it ten to 15 times fast it does work ive tried it.

kid2

Money List Winner
Visit site
Iv tried most of the hand shaken stuff guys but this is very extreme what i have....
Im a panel beater so i work with my hands all the time and we dont have the luxury of a heated garage.....
The blood supply i can kind of put up with but the chilblains are driving me nuts these get very sore but its really a viscious circle as both conditions are conflicting each other ..

Pants

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I've got Reynauds. It's just poor circulation to the extremities. I sometimes get it when my hands get wet as well.

Your doctor can prescribe something for it - it opens up the blood vessels a bit. The downside is that it doesn't only work on the fingers, it can leave you looking rather florid faced as well.

My recommendation would be to get a pair of winter gloves such as http://wwww.pargolfonline.co.uk/product/...p;siteid=47683. Should be able to get them from your friendly golf pro or golf shop. Good grip in the wet as well.

Yerman

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The medication you should try is nifedipine- it can be helpful but lowers the blood pressure so can make you light headed if your BP is already low or normal. Definitely worth a try though in my experience the benefits are not guaranteed; other medications are used but less effective and more problematic. Failing that- a good pair of gloves or spend the winter somewhere warm- that's not meant as a a joke.

kid2

Money List Winner
Visit site
Thanks very much for the replies fellas...
I suppose i just need to wise up to it so and accept the fact that i have it and thats that.....
Im not a fan of medication although im not ignorant to the fact at times its a necessity ill keep an open mind for the time being......

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
There is no known cure for Raynaud's. It is caused by an abnormal sensitivity of blood vessels in the hands/legs to cold, and they go into spasm.

Raynaud's is treated with vasolidators, which keep the peripheral blood vessels open. Nifedipine, as mentioned above, is one, but there are others. Nitrates may also help. These are the medicines used by people with angina to keep coronary vessels open, but they will also work on peripheral vessels.

If you currently smoke, you should stop. Smoking may worsen the condition. Also, stopping exposure is important. Wear gloves, avoid cold water etc etc. I expect you do that already.

slugger

Tour Rookie
Visit site
sounds like the perfect excuse to retire to the algarve for 4 or 5 months of the year! if only things were as easily done as said!

kid2

Money List Winner
Visit site
Dont smoke Ethan so no worries there as regards the gloves i try to wear them when i can ..
As you can imagine with cars no 1 nut or bolt is the same size as the next so it brings the phrase trying to pick up a match stick with a pair of boxing gloves into play :D

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
I know this sounds a bit ropey but have you tried fidgeting with loose change, tees etc in your pockets while you are not hitting the ball/on the green. Ive found it helps keep the hands toasty on the coldest of days.

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
When cold I've been known to 'windmill' my arms (one at a time) at a rate of knots to force blood down into the fingers. I don't know exactly how healthy it is to do this as it feels like my fingers might burst sometimes after about 10 revolutions, but it definately gets the blood moving and warms up the fingers.

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
why not just get a handwarmer or two? might be a bit 'senior' but if it works who cares.

alternatively there must be some heated mitts powered off the trolley battery out there somewhere.

StrangelyBrown

Tour Winner
Visit site
why not just get a handwarmer or two? might be a bit 'senior' but if it works who cares.

alternatively there must be some heated mitts powered off the trolley battery out there somewhere.

You can get 'hotgrips' for motorbikes which could possibly be adapted for golf use. Probably easier to get some big winter gloves and put those microwavable handwarmers in them.