Blocking and hooking driver.

ademac

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I’m having issues with blocking and hooking my driver.
On a good day I drive the ball well, on a bad day I don’t know wether it will be a big block right or a low hook!

Apparently, after looking at videos online, the bad shots are linked to the same fault.

I will be having a lesson and 3 weeks and will look at my driving but in the meantime, does anyone (Bob Maybe?😂) have a drill that I can try to rectify the swing fault (in to out apparently?) for now.

Hope that makes sense

Cheers
Ade

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Stop thinking about possible results and just swing! Perhaps slightly slower - say 90% as opposed to 100% but try it on the range first!

Btw. A block is often a 'natural' compensating reaction to a hook!

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
I would check your aim and your grip.
You may be subconsciously aiming right to allow for the hook so the block may be a straight shot.
Check the easy to fix possibilities before messing around bith major stuff.
Have you tried aiming left and tried to hit a block?

ademac

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I will have a look at alignment and grip tomorrow at the range and hopefully it helps.
I tried aiming left and hitting a cut/fade, it worked to a degree but felt uncomfortable and a bit slicey!

ademac

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Just back from the range, took care over my alignment and grip.
Swing thought of turning against my left leg/keeping left foot planted and just swung the club at the ball, very happy with the outcome and drove the ball well.

Very possible that I am trying to subconsciously rectify the hook out on the course I guess.

Note to self to think more on set up in my pre shot routine.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
A Hook and a Block (Push) tend to come from the same swingpath. The path will be in-to-out but the clubface will be square to path with the block and shut to path with the hook.

ademac

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
A Hook and a Block (Push) tend to come from the same swingpath. The path will be in-to-out but the clubface will be square to path with the block and shut to path with the hook.

Makes sense. It’s my common fault so I am working on it.
Played 9 holes yesterday and was driving it well enough.
Thoughts were turning against my left leg and hitting a cut/fade. It seems to be working.
Looking forward to my lesson next week so I can eliminate some of the guess work.

ademac

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Your hips firing too quickly and the hands trying to play catch up?

Very possible, playing 9 holes with the pro on tuesday so he can put me right.

When its working I am driving the ball really well, when it’s not working however it is shocking!!
I either don’t feel in control of any timing/sequencing or I feel like I am trying to control it too much and getting tense!

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
mybe not turning, that was my problem when i had the same issue. sorted it by my pro getting me to start hitting a fade of the tee with driver, sorted the issue and takes one side of the fairway out of play, find i can also hit it as hard as i like;)

ademac

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
mybe not turning, that was my problem when i had the same issue. sorted it by my pro getting me to start hitting a fade of the tee with driver, sorted the issue and takes one side of the fairway out of play, find i can also hit it as hard as i like;)
This is pretty much how my pro explained it to me.
It was a combination of a few things at various times but I basically wasn’t turning and not controlling the club face great.
A small tweak in the grip, a bit less resistance in the backswing and more in the downswing and trying to hit a fade.
It will take a bit of work but it’s been explained to me so I understand it and I feel good that I can now work at it.