Blaming everything but yourself during bad rounds

howbow88

Hacker
Visit site
I've always loved this quote from former Palace legend, Clinton Morrison:

“I'd been ill and hadn't trained for a week and I'd been out of the team for three weeks before that, so I wasn't sharp. I got cramp before half-time as well. But I'm not one to make excuses.”

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
A couple of weeks back a golfing buddy moaned to me on our 18th as he looked for his ball "I don't understand where my ball is - I hit the absolutely perfect shot". We found his ball 20 yds into the deep rough - but he continued to complain that it was unfair where he ended up as he hit a perfect shot. Ah well...:ROFLMAO:

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I recall as a teenager moaning to a old caddy about my 3 putts spoiling yet another good round.
His advice was that you will seldom three putt from the middle of the green so perhaps your putting is not the problem.

Albo

Visit site
I had a couple of bad lies in bunkers last time I played, one due to a rake being left next to the lip and the ball resting against it, when I moved the rake I had no real shot. In itself its bad luck, however, were my shot from the tee (a par 3) with my 5i that "couldn't reach the bunker" not thinned into the bunker the luck would have played no part.
I also held a putt for bird in the same round that I read as a left to right breaker maybe a ball left of the cup from 10/12ftish, completely misshit the pace of the putt at the same time as missing my line badly and it rammed home via a hop up from the back of the cup completely removing the break. That was very much good luck
At the end of the day both of these were down to me, one shot came off worse than I deserved and one better. No point blaming outside influences for leaving a rake where they did, as much as being thankful the greenkeeper didn't cut the hole 1 inch left of where he did. Things happen

Depreston

Club Champion
Visit site
I’m normally alright and blame myself

good or even average shots being punished by random bad lies hurts a lot though