Bin driver for strong 3 wood???

Bobirdie

Journeyman Pro
www.williamsdoubleglazing.co.uk
Drivings been the most inconsistent part of my game for around 2 years. Hit my 3 wood up generally sound.for the life of me I cant keep a consistent swing with my driver. As I like hitting down on the ball I struggle with catching the ball on the upswing and my swing changes altogether.

Decent move going for a 13 degree 3 wood instead of the driver and 15 3 wood???

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I'm on the verge of ditching the driver..
RBZ Tour 3 wood goes just as far for me unless I hit Sunday best driver....
Honestly, if you can knock it 240 with a 3 wood and find the fairway most of the time you'll not miss a driver...
Never thought I'd say it but the RBZ Tour is the best 3w I've had...
Ask Fragger

kev_off_the_tee

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I ditched the driver this week and it definitely improved my round today, by at least 10 shots and it saved OOBs and having to dig out of the thick stuff.

I'm trying better course management based on my strengths and weaknesses and without trying to tempt fate its working. I'm no longer hitting a driver on a par 4 as most are unreachable anyway but instead aiming for around 2/3 total yardage and leaving myself a short iron

Captain_Black

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
I hit my driver OK most of the time, but I hit my 3 wood just as far & the ball flight seems more penetrating with the 3 wood, I also get a lovely straight ball flight of about 200 yards with my 3 hybrid, so I have a good choice of clubs off the tee.

If it's really closed in with trouble both sides or I have doubts, I use the 3 hybrid.

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
Would it be worth having two 3 woods in a bag?
A 13 degree and a 15.5.
Just a thought

That's something I would definatley consider :thup:

I was thinking something similar myself, but a recent swing change has helped out with my driver issue, it's on the back burner for now.

Imurg

Visit site
The other day whilst playing solo, I was about 1000yards of golf hole in front of the following group so on the 18th I hit 4 or 5 drives each with the Diablo and the RBZ.
To be fair, most were on the fairway, only a couple ran off into the first cut.
The longest?
The Diablo........by 4 yards
Average of the RBZ was 5 yards more than the average Diablo.

That's why my driver's in the bag - to measure club lengths.....

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
What are the driver issues. My boring answer would be to invest in a lesson and work on the drills. If you can hit a 3 wood then surely a driver isn't that far removed. I'm guessing you are trying to smash the cover off it and moving all over the shop yet have confidence in the 3 wood and make a nice controlled swing

Bobirdie

Journeyman Pro
www.williamsdoubleglazing.co.uk
homer, confidence issue. i like to squeeze the ball of the turn. hit down on it with my 3 wood aswell and all is good. just never been a sweep it kind of player hence why driving never been a strong point.

crawfish, that was my thinking 2 years ago lol

T

thecraw

Where's your spirit of adventure???

Nothing better than hacking out of the trees or trying to hit the 14th green from the 5th fairway!!

:swing:

Imurg

Visit site
What are the driver issues.

Apart from a tendancy to heave it into the next County, even when I hit it well it doesn't go nearly as far as I think it ought to.

As you say, if I can carry a 3 wood 230+ then a driver should be going about 250 in the air - it just doesn't. Occasionally it does but that 1 in 10 isn't very good odds.
The feel off the face is good, the flight is good - it just doesn't "go"....