Big driver test

Tiger

Money List Winner
rub-of-the-green.blogspot.com
Thank you my point exactly, don't get me wrong if anyone wants to buy a new driver then good luck to them, but from my point of view i would feel it's a waste of money as a new driver will not perform much better than last years model.

My points are that
- you can't get fitted for last year's driver
- you can always test for yourself whether the new fitted offering gives you better performance against last years model
- GM have already started testing last year's model against new releases check out Joel's G30 v G video
- too many people obsess about distance gains I'm interested in increased forgiveness

I may be a bit miserable on this but I'm just fed up with the constant excessive posts about new kit. Year on year there are probably small performance gains but those all add up so 5/6 years down the line you can benefit significantly.

MikeH

Content Director
Staff member
Visit site
interestingly we had Jezz testing today - he was GM equipment ed for about 7/8 years up until 2009ish - he said the biggest differences in modern drivers vs what he was testing in his time is forgiveness.
testing with GC2 and HMT as we do you can see where you are striking the ball on the face - off centre hits fly almost as far as ones right out of the sweet spot. that was never the case even 5 years ago

in terms of upgrading we would never advise you upgrade year on year... unless you
a) see big gains from the new product although to me that would suggest you weren't fitted/fitted properly last time and/or your swing has changed significantly in 12 months
b) have spare dosh and/or are big brand fan and want the latest driver by X or Y. Golf is after all our passion, why if you have the wherewithall and it makes you happy having new kit in the bag shouldn't you buy new gear

MikeH

Content Director
Staff member
Visit site
Good to see Tappers still getting it out there in the drive off. How come you didn't enter?

ha ha, don't think my best of the day which was 239 with my new PING G LS tec was going to get me in the mix!

that long drive I wont at the forum day at Royal Ascot with the 260 is, and will be, my one and only long drive prize!

Did that with my trusty PING rapture V2... when I wasn't coming over the top like Jack Nicolson with the axe in The Shining

evahakool

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
My points are that
- you can't get fitted for last year's driver
- you can always test for yourself whether the new fitted offering gives you better performance against last years model
- GM have already started testing last year's model against new releases check out Joel's G30 v G video
- too many people obsess about distance gains I'm interested in increased forgiveness
I may be a bit miserable on this but I'm just fed up with the constant excessive posts about new kit. Year on year there are probably small performance gains but those all add up so 5/6 years down the line you can benefit significantly.

Some valid points and I understand what you are saying, you are golng about finding what's best for yourself that's fair enough and good luck to you.

There are many more golfers that never go for a custom fit and maybe never will, I would hope we would agree that for these golfers buying a new driver for £300+ would be of no more benefit than buying a driver that's a year old at a much reduced price.

Just as you get fed up with negative posts about new gear I get fed up with all the marketing/advertising of new drivers, you touched upon GM testing G30 v G video its only one of a few of this kind compared to all the new driver reviews in magazines

What I've not seen much of in any golf magazine is reviewing for the high percentage of golfers who don't go for a custom fit a comparison between a new driver and one a year old , and what they would recommend.

But I can fully understand why this doesn't happen very often.

Tiger

Money List Winner
rub-of-the-green.blogspot.com
Some valid points and I understand what you are saying, you are golng about finding what's best for yourself that's fair enough and good luck to you.

There are many more golfers that never go for a custom fit and maybe never will, I would hope we would agree that for these golfers buying a new driver for £300+ would be of no more benefit than buying a driver that's a year old at a much reduced price.

Just as you get fed up with negative posts about new gear I get fed up with all the marketing/advertising of new drivers, you touched upon GM testing G30 v G video its only one of a few of this kind compared to all the new driver reviews in magazines

What I've not seen much of in any golf magazine is reviewing for the high percentage of golfers who don't go for a custom fit a comparison between a new driver and one a year old , and what they would recommend.

:thup:
I think it's a shame that more don't go down the custom route but to be honest if they want to pick up a brand new club off the shelf and buy it there's very little that could be done to change that behaviour. I certainly agree with you that in many cases there are plenty of bargains to be had from picking up last season's kit which is one of the benefits of the product cycle.

I think Mike intonated that they would be doing more reviews to compare this year v last year and I know some of the you tubers like Rick Shiels are starting to do that as well.

In terms of the magazine I think on the whole the review would be that this year's model is marginally better than last years. But the decision would always come down to the buyer. What the companies will say is that they aren't targeting the golfer who bought last years model. They are targetting the golfer who bought a club 3/5/7 years ago or even older. I think it's fascinating what Mike was saying about Jezz's reflections on forgiveness. I know if I hit it right out of the sweet spot on mine I get about 30 yards more distance. Trouble is I can't find it that often...

Hacker Khan

Yurt Dwelling, Yoghurt Knitter
Visit site

You've kind of answered your own question there as everyone knows there will be minimal difference, if any in terms of distance if the swing remains the same. And forgiveness is a lot more subjective and virtually impossible to quantify in a test. And yes it would probably be quite interesting the first couple of times to see it, I imagine it will get a bit boring after a while.

A bit like how Crossfield can get where you kind of agree what he is saying most of the time, but it does get a bit tedious after a while.

Perhaps there should be some mandatory warning on the shaft like you get on fag packets along the lines of 'This product will damage your wallet and you will not see any noticeable differences on last years model'.;)