Between these sets, which will be better for an absolute beginner?

Karl

Visit site
Hi guys, my names Karl. Just joined this forum, mainly for advice as I’m an absolute novice. I’m interested in getting one of these sets. But really would like your opinions on what would be best suited to a novice like me!

RIFE RX2 full set
Benross HTX full set
Ben Sayers M9 full set
All in excellent condition second hand

Callaway x18 irons
In fair condition.

All costing around the same price.

I’d like to narrow it down to one, can you guys point me in the right direction? Literally been to the driving range once. And although I could just about hit the ball, I really enjoyed it, and want to get into it as best I can.
thanks in advance

Myblueheaven

Visit site
Ive only been playing on and off for two years so I have been where you are.
I did have a set of the Benross HTX irons which were great, only sold them as my other half bought me a new set of Wilso staff D9s.
You wont go wrong with the Benross, I still use a Benross Driver, Hot speed 10 which I can hit better than other drivers, I have the ping g400 max but prefer the Benross.
If I could give you 1 tip, buy your clubs and stick with them, no point keep changing, its addictive looking at newer clubs but at your ploint its not worth it.
Get your clubs and then practice, and practice more.

D

Deleted member 23270

I would go with the Callaways. Easy to hit and will retain a bit more of their value when you are ready to move them on.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Although the Benross is a decent set I think the X18s will last a bit longer before you feel the need to upgrade and, as above, will retain a bit of value when you do come to change them.

Karl

Visit site
Ive only been playing on and off for two years so I have been where you are.
I did have a set of the Benross HTX irons which were great, only sold them as my other half bought me a new set of Wilso staff D9s.
You wont go wrong with the Benross, I still use a Benross Driver, Hot speed 10 which I can hit better than other drivers, I have the ping g400 max but prefer the Benross.
If I could give you 1 tip, buy your clubs and stick with them, no point keep changing, its addictive looking at newer clubs but at your ploint its not worth it.
Get your clubs and then practice, and practice more.

Thanks for the reply. Like I said I’m a novice so all advice is greatly appreciated?

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
So, the x18 are better in terms of actually getting good contact with the ball?

The best ones in terms of actually getting good contact with the ball are the ones that suit you best. I recently did a Trackman session with my pro to determine whether my Mizuno ST200 or my titles suited me better; the answer is that the Benross Hot Speed 2 that the pro initially said we wouldn't bother hitting is back in the bag.

The X18's will probably ave had more R & D thrown at them & will retain better resale value, the others will give you a full set and potentially suit you as well.

Have you hit any of these clubs; what shafts have the different clubs got in them?

Karl

Visit site
All stainless steel
The best ones in terms of actually getting good contact with the ball are the ones that suit you best. I recently did a Trackman session with my pro to determine whether my Mizuno ST200 or my titles suited me better; the answer is that the Benross Hot Speed 2 that the pro initially said we wouldn't bother hitting is back in the bag.

The X18's will probably ave had more R & D thrown at them & will retain better resale value, the others will give you a full set and potentially suit you as well.

Have you hit any of these clubs; what shafts have the different clubs got in them?

I’ve only ever hit with the hire club at the driving range.

Think all the shafts are stainless steel irons, and with the sets I believe graphite shafts for the woods and driver. I could be mistaken as I’m a complete novice.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The trouble with the Callaway X18 irons (good clubs in their day) is that you are looking at a set of clubs that are going to be in the region of 18 years old. Whereas any of the other 3 are relatively new clubs.

All the 3 rife, Benross and Ben Sayers appear to clubs aimed at the beginner to mid handicap

Benross are a good make. They do not have the expense of paying pros to play them. They generally use a good make of shaft and could well be a set of clubs that last you for years

Karl

Visit site
After doing a bit of online search for clubs I’ve come across the callaway edge set in Costco. Reviews state that there are great for a beginner. Anyone know if these are worth going for over the others I stated above.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
After doing a bit of online search for clubs I’ve come across the callaway edge set in Costco. Reviews state that there are great for a beginner. Anyone know if these are worth going for over the others I stated above.
Rick Shiels has done a video review of them...

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
Reality is the biggest variable will be you as a beginner, the sets are likely 'much of a muchness'.
Probably sensible advice is not to spend too much, set a budget you are comfortable with.
And enjoy the journey ?

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
For me, if I was in your position, it would be a toss up between the X18s and the Benross ones. Benross's reputation for quality shades the other 2 'budget' brands imo and is almost as good as Callaway's in the budget market, if less well known because it concentrates in that aea of the market.
If you like you equipment to be in 'best' condition, go for the Benross. If you prefer the status of a 'big' brand, go for the Callaways. If you are likely to upgrade or ditch, the Callaways will likely be a little easier to move on.

Karl

Visit site
So the Ben Ross full set including bag is £180.
and I can get the callaway x18 irons for £150

I think it’s between these 2. I’ll forget about buying the Costco set and use the money saved on golf lessons. Can anyone recommend any golf lessons in london?

Jimaroid

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It’s worth considering that no matter what you buy now, if the golf bug really sticks it’s claws in with you, you’ll be wanting to buy new clubs before long anyway. So I’d buy the nicest looking+feelingwith the idea of them being disposable and not worry if they have no residual value. The Benross are fine for that.