par_par_par_treble

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Equipment
Practice
Lessons
Playing
Mental game (books etc)

I would just like other people's thoughts on this subject.

I'm trying all of the above, but can’t really make my mind up on which is most helpful. I play off 14, but there is a single figure golfer dying to get out.

Do I get custom fitted irons before I perfect my swing? The irons may not be suitable once my swing changes... At what point do I decide my swing is ready enough?

I get to the course twice per week on average. What is the right play vs practice balance?

I believe lessons to be the most helpful, but if you can’t practice what you're taught, and apply it on the course then maybe not.

I think mental game books have helped me too. Staying in the present is great, but a little more practice or new clubs and maybe I wouldn’t presently be looking for my ball in the rough?

Im happy enough that I am improving, but wondered if anyone has any thoughts????

Golfer2112

Assistant Pro
Visit site
There was another thread titled "Time Spent Practising" in which I asked some similar questions. From that, and other sources, here is my $0.02 worth...

Putting makes up between 32% and 40% of each of your rounds so make sure that you spend time practising that.

The two good players (low single figures hcaps) that I play with would preach that you should practice more than you play, although I doubt that they actually so this.

Custom fit clubs and lessons should go hand in hand.

Mental approach is often overlooked and anything you can do in this department should help.

You should also keep detailed records of your golf. I use Scoresaver 2 ( Website link) for this as it lets you record details of your practice sessions as well as your rounds. It also gives you a "handicap standard" for each part of your game. There's an ad (a pretty poor ad, it must be said at the top on page 194) for it in this month's Golf Monthly giving you £5 off.

Overall: getting to single figures from 14 will take effort in every area but I think Lessons+custom-fit+practise is the key.

Good luck.

G2112

Brookwood

Hacker
Visit site
My thoughts for what they are worth.

No point in lessons if you aren't going to practice what you have been taught in between. I used to hit 500 balls between weekly lessons but then my driving range is ten minutes up the road. I neglected the lessons and practice for a while and it started to show in my game, the refresher was brilliant and now I practice regularly.

Getting rid of bad habits is the worst part and may entail some drastic changes. But pros change their swing in the middle of a season if it isn't working. You have to have the courage and persevere with what the pro tells you.

I found custom fitting the clubs very enlightening and couldn't believe the difference between clubs.

Writing down what you are doing and looking back at it can also help.

I hope that helps. Good luck

Greenkeeper

Club Champion
Visit site
Practice practice practice! But I do have another tip!

When practicing don’t always do so from a perfect lie. Take shots out of divots, thin grass, deep grass as well as the awkward bunker shots. Play with the ball lower & higher than your feet. Successfully getting out of trouble or problem lies will save you shots. Work out how many perfect lies you get on the average round of golf.
I also agree with the above Putting is the key!

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site
1. Get some lessons and find a REPEATABLE swing that works for you.
2. Practice what you have been taught, remember there is such a thing as practicing the wrong thing, that's why it is important to get the lessons first.
3. short-game, short-game , short-game. I play with lots of seniors who maintain great handicaps even though they don't have distance of the tee, but from 100 yards in are deadly.

good luck

John_Findlay

Tour Winner
Visit site
Have to agree. Lessons (including short game lessons) have been the key for me. Have got down from a poor 13 to a good 8 since I started taking them and if I EVER practiced my long putting I'm sure it would be lower. Need to practice what you're being taught though. It's a slow process but worth it.

The_Golfer

Club Champion
Visit site
I would suggest the following;

a) Lessons, lessons, lessons..... it will teach you never to step upto a ball unless you have the right grip, stance and alignment; by far the biggest problems most golfer have.
b) Practice chipping and pitching once a week. incorporate chipping within a range of 6 yards.
c) Practice putting for at least 10 minutes twice a week at home or wherever.
d) Before wanting to get a lower handicap set yourself a realistic target to get better, say of becoming the best 14 handicapper your club has ever had?

Finally I would suggest that mentally you always play within yourself and never try and play beyond your handicap. Every shot is risk and reward so on each hole where you get a shot, pending on how you are playing, assess when to take risks and when to play safe.

Hope it helps

par_par_par_treble

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Very good advice thanks.

I think my handicap will tumble once my head transplant happens. I know what shots others should play, but my super-man complex comes in to force when I have a decision to make myself. In the latest golf monthly they advised taking advice from an imaginary caddy – we will see if that works next time the course is open….