Best sports films

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I really liked Moneyball. Good film and Pitt and Hill were great in their roles. The Damned United was a good watch as well, I enjoyed Sheen's portrayal of Clough. Any Given Sunday was pretty good, and I don't know if it counts as sports but The Wrestler was really good, Rourke was perfectly cast in that one I think.

As for golf films, Tin Cup was decent, and Happy Gilmore is always funny, although the links to actual real golf are quite tenuous in many ways. I haven't seen The Greatest Game Ever Played yet, I keep meaning to find that and give it a watch.

One film I never understood was Caddyshack. Lots of people say it's hilarious but I really didn't find it that funny at all. And I normally love Bill Murray, daft humour and all of that, but I found it disappointing.

Pathetic Shark

Tour Rookie
Visit site
The only problem with Moneyball and Michael Lewis' book was as guilty of this too is that the success of the 2002 Oakland A's was not just down to signing Chad Bradford and Scott Hatteberg and trading for David Justice. Three of their starting pitchers, Barry Zito, Mark Mulder and Tim Hudson all had absolute career years. Without any of them, they don't come close to the playoffs.

TheDiablo

Challenge Tour Pro
Banned
Visit site
Other than those already mentioned, Foxcatcher with Steve Carrell is awesome, as is The Fighter with Christian Bale and Mark Wahlberg

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
The only problem with Moneyball and Michael Lewis' book was as guilty of this too is that the success of the 2002 Oakland A's was not just down to signing Chad Bradford and Scott Hatteberg and trading for David Justice. Three of their starting pitchers, Barry Zito, Mark Mulder and Tim Hudson all had absolute career years. Without any of them, they don't come close to the playoffs.
In England baseball barely even registers as a sport so I was never going to care about anything like that. It's just a good movie.

Norrin Radd

Tour Winner
Visit site
not a film but a tv series based on the infamous leg theory cricket devised by Douglas Jardine for the Ashes tests in Aus back in the 1930`s,for the life of me i cant remember the name of the series though:(
having used google i have now found out it was called Bodyline

Piece

Tour Winner
Visit site
not a film but a tv series based on the infamous leg theory cricket devised by Douglas Jardine for the Ashes tests in Aus back in the 1930`s,for the life of me i cant remember the name of the series though:(
having used google i have now found out it was called Bodyline

Yes that was superb.

Fromtherough

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I think Rocky is the ultimate sports film. Although a few classics (to me) missed I think:

The Karate Kid
Youngblood
The Hustler
The Colour of Money
Kickboxer
White Men Can't Jump
Slapshot
Over The Top

Pathetic Shark

Tour Rookie
Visit site
A friend of mine wrote Any Given Sunday and has a cameo role on the opposing sideline as an assistant coach. They took quite a few true events from NFL history to throw into the film such as the part when one of the players tries to go into the stands to kick seven bags of fertiliser of a fan - that happened with the Bucs in 1978. The scene with the IV being applied whilst the player is on the bog happened to the Raiders in 1983.